Skybox as100 review

Found this on another Forum, so i thought i share.

SKYBOX AS100 REVIEW

Manufacturers Spec: SkyBox | SkyBox

Well I have been one of the "lucky" few who have managed to acquire a test sample of this brand new skybox from the makers of the legendary F5s. This new box brags a lot of features for a sensible price, circa £70 for the box delivered. In terms of the legacy of the F5s box, this box had a lot to live up to.

Initially I was dissapointed that the GPU was only dual core and for the price not a Quad Core GPU.....I was also dissapointed that the processor whilst an ARM A9, was only 1GHz. But having said that I decided to give it a go.

The Box is layered booting, what that means, is that Android and Live TV load on top of each other and sit layered once fully loaded. There is effectively two boxes inside this box and very separate, they dont necessary merge into each other, other than for the purpose of switching to either Android or Live TV (sly). The changeover can be made allegedly within a few clicks. I will explore this later on.

It is although a F5s box and a low spec android box has been to make this kit. The screens arent all that different to an F5s, the only difference is I was hoping for a better EPG in line with some of the linx recievers providing a easy screen to use, this failed to live up to expectations as the box had poor epg (same as f5s) XMLTV. the only difference was I could set timers on the 7 day epg which the slybox f5s couldnt do, no doubt a bit of firmware would solve this if they developed it, I assume they will as it will be mstly a case of copy and paste form the codeing of the as100.

The menus are alot sharper than the F5s menus. When using high resolutions. The channels list, I used AJ's list to flash the box, worked staight away, I renamed the categories to same as AJs, and created an image download so i had it for the other boxes to install onto, I have 10 samples of this box.

When using sly features its eactly the same as F5s in terms of setting up newcamd etc...

To use the android features, I botted up the box, XBMC was preinstalled,so I just installed fusion and Mashup on the box, with fusion i installed Sports Devil only as the memory wa quite low and i didnt want to burden the box with extra plug ins, where mashup and sports devil can do most things nearly.

The box isnt capable of sharing the Ethernet Port with both andorid and sly live tv. The android purely uses the Ethernet connection and so what do you do with live tv the...you have to create a wifi hotspot in android using unlocked unsecured broadcating. Then you o to Live TV and connect to this wifi hotspot. The box cleared the channels no problem once this was setup. However when I turned the bx off the hotspot was lost when i turned it back on, i had to setup this hotspot each time which was annoying, because clearly they rushed the firmware on this box as it cant store simple settings which it should do.

The Andorid features crashed on the third time boot, and the box only loaded live tv, andorid was frozen in bottom right hand corner, just saying "ANDROID" and flashing, from this point on the Android features seemed to permanently crashed, it wasnt possible to use android again, I have contacted the factory manufacuturers for the Firmware files so that this box can be rescued via RS232 flashing to restore Andorid if this is even possible??? Time will tell the support on this product is low on the web as its brand new product, there isnt much helpful info at all on skybox.cc and no contact email addresses.

I tried another bx, and this time all was well, apart from the anoyance of setting up wifi hotspot each time it worked, the streaming was good, bit slow on the menus compared to my MX2 andorid box, but worked well enough and smoothly.

The box in its present state needs firmware update ASAP. I'm sure the skybox makers are onto this as the intial tests drew out every problem that needs resolving to make this a box that is as simple as the F5s.....for now I will stick with my F5S which has always been the best box out there.

I bought an as100 does anyone have firmware as mine came with a fault and can't find any firmware for them ta

I bought an as100 does anyone have firmware as mine came with a fault and can't find any firmware for them ta

Hi,

Ive got the firmware for the AS100 along with the sequence you need to follow to reinstall it.

the firmware is 500mb.

Thanks

---------- Post Merged at 10:37 PM ----------

p.s. i wrote that review on the other forum :)

Can u post it or send a link please

Right everyone, heres the firmware file for the Skybox AS100 , tech kings forum wont let me post a link to the uploaded firmware file. UNLESS 5 POSTS

Please can 5 people comment on here so i can share the Firmware..........which half the world probably wants who's bought an as100 as nowhere on web its available not even on skybox.cc

If your not sure how to flash the As100 box, its very different to the Skybox f5s..........so message me for instructions, i'll type some up and post them on here when i get a moment. let me know if u need it.

cheers.... :)

Right everyone, heres the firmware file for the Skybox AS100 , tech kings forum wont let me post a link to the uploaded firmware file. UNLESS 5 POSTS

Just to clear that up, you have to have posted 5 times to upload content.

It sort of helps prevent auto virus keylogger uploaders here.

You should be able to share it in threads now or upload it to the download section here Skybox - Downloads - TechKings

Thanks for sharing. Any problems just message me.

Just to clear that up, you have to have posted 5 times to upload content.

It sort of helps prevent auto virus keylogger uploaders here.

You should be able to share it in threads now or upload it to the download section here Skybox - Downloads - TechKings

Thanks for sharing. Any problems just message me.

Thanks for sorting that out for us

Heres the direct download link :-

Its a massive file........100mb plus

Free file upload and exchange service without registration and size limits

Steps:
1. Put that software" MstarUpgrade.bin" to the usb drive and insert it to andriod usb port in as100 - The one on the right is for Android i think, left is for Sly tv
2. Press that button from the bottom of AS100 (tiny black button) and do not leave your hand from that button first, and then power on the AS100.
3. After 5 seconds then let your hand leave that button, Then AS100 will upgrade the software automatically...screen will be black throughout
4. about 5 -10 minutes the TV screen will be black during the upgrade, Skybox AS100 will reboot automatically.
5. Go to factory testing--andriod menu--set up--system backup or update -->restore factory
6. after factory restore, installation default and finish.

7. About 10 minutes for this upgrading.

yes i did finally get the firmware from my supplier not sure if i can upload or if its to big for this site

couple of points aswel i had to use the left usb for it to reboot the firmware

box worked well had xbmc on and sat was on then i uploaded channel list all running well tried another list just to check something, again box crashed this time the sat side so now android works
but sat doesnt even boot up !! anyone else had this issue ?

AVOID!! you cannot use ethernet port for both sat line and android and they crash like hell with no return!!
AGAIN trusty skybox sending out sh1t with no thought of end user/firmware!! say it does this and that when all it does is brick its self! £££££ another starpoo company

Crap skybox as100 that bricks itself

New Firmware,,,,,,,,,,

This time they have stripped XBMC off the firmware..........F*cking jokers.....

So what are you exactly suppose to do with a Andorid box if you cant run XBMC on it .........LOL

So nows its become a very expensive Door stop.......I have 10 of these units all "BRICKED"........completely useless supplier too,

anyway heres the new firmware:-

[url]http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g0aca44554fc7cdb2999513053215c78e962ee16fb[/URL]

I have received firmware from thé seller
I have been able to restore the box

---------- Post Merged at 08:10 AM ----------

Seller said a new firmware should be out in few days.i hope it will resolve issues

Back