Sly servers shutting down

Just a heads up !

Had an email today from my sly provider that they are shutting up shop next week.
He's saying quite a few servers will go offline next week.

Shame that they aren't honoring their promise of longevity regardless of what's available anymore or if they're making more and more money ... as they said - no honor amongst thieves... I could never do that.

Catch 22 really
Pay all server fees yourself for the sake of a few channels no income from it or call it a day.
Yes people may have paid for a year but the customer should understand it's a illegal business tjat could have ended a day after they purchased and as with any business legal or otherwise if there's no money coming in time to close down.

It's possible the current clear channels could run on for awhile yet, scandal if the baas pull the plug while major channels like discovery, bt, eir, racing and at the races still clearing ( let's see what may 30 brings)

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Don't even use my sky tunner to be honest mate.
Just trying to see it from the other side.
Everything in life boils down to £££££ always will.

Catch 22 really
Pay all server fees yourself for the sake of a few channels no income from it or call it a day.
Yes people may have paid for a year but the customer should understand it's a illegal business tjat could have ended a day after they purchased and as with any business legal or otherwise if there's no money coming in time to close down.

I disagree. Given payments have already been made in advance for the service, cutting off service now means instant and super profit for the servers - essentially they have had all the revenue, but no more cost. If they are shutting down the service, which is still live, they should refund the fees pro rata.

What has changed, is no more future business for sly cs - which was never guaranteed for the servers, and therefore was always a business risk they took, just like sly or vm closing the door is a risk everybody took. It might take effort, but there is no reason that their cost (of running the sly server business) couldn't be managed down progressively as sly subscriptions expire (unless and until all sly channels go dark), and indeed I wouldn't be surprise that many if not all of them can now redeploy time and resource to and profit from increased cable and iptv business. But to cut off sat service, when it is not dead, when people have paid good money for in good faith, is a behaviour in my view the mods should help deter (by name, shame and if possible banned). If such bar stewards are happy do it to sly line customers, what is to say they would not cut and run when they supply your iptv or cable lines?

Ask yourself this - would you be happy to buy again from them?

I disagree. Given payments have already been made in advance for the service, cutting off service now means instant and super profit for the servers - essentially they have had all the revenue, but no more cost. If they are shutting down the service, which is still live, they should refund the fees pro rata.

What has changed, is no more future business for sly cs - which was never guaranteed for the servers, and therefore was always a business risk they took, just like sly or vm closing the door is a risk everybody took. It might take effort, but there is no reason for their cost (of running the sly server business) couldn't be managed down progressively as sly subscriptions expire (unless and until all sly channels go dark), and indeed I wouldn't be surprise that many if not all of them can now redeploy time and resource to and profit from increased cable and iptv business. But to cut off sat service, when it is not dead, when people have paid good money for in good faith, is a behaviour in my view the mods should help deter (by name, shame and if possible banned). If such bar stewards are happy do it to sly line customers, what is to say they would not cut and run when they supply your iptv or cable lines?
The way I see it
I new I was entering a deal that could end any time.
I had my £20 annual fee within a week if I was to pay official sources. I was with him roughly two years for sly and he is still going (I have disconnected my wires) if he was to shut up shop I would understand.
Servers costs money every month if nobody is signing up who's paying the bills.

Resellers can't sell
Main man don't get paid.

A lot of people moaning about costs and losses----think!!
Punters paid an average of £35 for 12mths knowing and I repeat knowing that c/s could go down at anytime---it was a risk they took.
That works out about £3 per month--less than a pint, compare that to what it would cost to officially subscribe--the savings have been enormous.
Yes if the server is suddenly closing and doing a fly then it's not good but not all are dishonest and are still providing service in one way or another be it on sky or another sat.
Everyone knew the risk and were fully aware of what could and has happened---people have had a good run for a few quid and saved hundreds---this hobby will continue in one way or another.
Reaper.

A lot of people moaning about costs and losses----think!!
Punters paid an average of £35 for 12mths knowing and I repeat knowing that c/s could go down at anytime---it was a risk they took.
That works out about £3 per month--less than a pint, compare that to what it would cost to officially subscribe--the savings have been enormous.
Yes if the server is suddenly closing and doing a fly then it's not good but not all are dishonest and are still providing service in one way or another be it on sky or another sat.
Everyone knew the risk and were fully aware of what could and has happened---people have had a good run for a few quid and saved hundreds---this hobby will continue in one way or another.
Reaper.
Exactly!!

Servers costs money every month if nobody is signing up who's paying the bills.

This isn't a "pyramid scheme".
Who pays their bills?
All the people who have ALREADY paid, up front, in advance, for a service. Thats who's paying the bills.
Myself and a mate were one week into a six month sub when it hit the fan and the channels started dropping off, and I imagine by the laws of averages we weren't the only people in that situation.
So, if my server goes, he in my opinion will have made EASIER money, as he is providing nothing for what has already been paid for.
For what it's worth though, I knew it could end at any time, and it's just bad luck for me - I knew what I was signing up to. I've had my money's worth, as will have 90% plus of the people in here.

I'm pretty sure my line provider was also wishing he wasn't shutting up shop either!

This isn't a "pyramid scheme".
Who pays their bills?
All the people who have ALREADY paid, up front, in advance, for a service. Thsts who's paying the bills.
Myself and a mate were one week into a six month sub when it hit the fan and the channels started dropping off, and I imagine by the laws of averages we weren't the only people in that situation.
So, if my server goes, he in my opinion will have made EASIER money, as he is providing nothing for what has already been paid for.
For what it's worth though, I knew it could end at any time, and it's just bad luck for me - I knew what I was signing up to. I've had my money's worth, as will have 90% plus of the people in here.

I'm pretty sure my line provider was also wishing he wasn't shutting up shop either!
Slightly contradiction
You knew what you was signing up to.
"I've had my money's worth"
What's your problem then move on.

Slightly contradiction
You knew what you was signing up to.
"I've had my money's worth"
What's your problem then move on.

No contradiction.
And I have no problem - as was made clear in my post.

Just pointing out the flawed logic in a stupid post.

If someone can't see who is paying, and who has ALREADY paid towards someone's bills......

Back