soldering

Secret to good soldering is clean tip on iron ,also don't overheat board ,and administer solder to tip of iron for as brief of time

If you watch the video it's not an easy fix as it's not straight onto a board. I've got a hot air station but this looks tricky.

My soldering skills are pathetic, I mean piss-poor.
I had to solder a dozen connections onto 12v batteries a few weeks ago, I've still got the scars.
First mistake, soldering the wires to battery terminals, then trying to stick live and neutral wires into tiny plugs for soldering - sparks all over the ba$tard place.
Every time it arced I burned myself with the iron.
Decided to solder the connections on first.
Good idea.
Then solder ends onto batteries.
Then realise the shrink tube hasn't been inserted.
Then unsolder everything.
Apply shrink tube.
Hold battery connections over steaming kettle.
Watch sparks fly everywhere due to condensation.
Took three days, all done now, forty eight soldered and unsoldered joints, three miles of solder and forty yards of shrink tube.
Seven burnt fingers and a partially melted eyelid but we're good to go.

I was fairly active chipping PS2s back in the day as well as removing tsop chips for cable boxes.

Ive a load of soldering equipment in the loft hot air station the lot but usually ended up using a gas soldering iron with the various heat deflectors for chip removal. None of it has seen the light of day for quite some time. Bit like my welding kit in the garage.

Same here welding gear on bottom shelf in the garage. I even paid for myself to do level 1 mig welding course.

Attachments

• IMG_20220402_123908.jpg
    IMG_20220402_123908.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 14
sorry lads for just getting back my brother in law done the micro usb port he also put some clear epoxy resin around the port aswell then the hdmi port came loose he put that back in its a bit temperamental but its working ok ish these sticks are very flimsy inside dont think they are supposed to be repaired

Back