Speed Up Utorrent 1.8.3

axxxo

VIP Member
here are some changes i have applied to my Utorrent settings to desperately try and speed up downloads

if anyone has any better ideas i would love to try them out, these settings i applied did improve my download speed simply by connecting me to more seeds

i havent made any changes to the advanced settings

some people say it does help, others dont so i just left it the way it is.

hope its of some help to you

Capture3.png

Capture1.png

Capture2.png

these settings are not my own, i picked them up from various places on the web :)

Last edited:
Axxxo - also you need to check that you have your "port" forwarded on your router, (this will give you the green checkmark on Utorrent) once you are green you will be getting the full amount (depending on seeds) allowed by your ISP
Hope this helps
Knotaclu

thanks knotaclu, have the green checkmark on utorrent constantly so i never bothered with the port forwarding, i must give it a try anyway to see if it makes an improvement anyhow

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

question actually, if you have it done yourself do you use the actual ip of your computer or the ip you get from running ipconfig /all in the cmd box?

Your good to go Axxxo - once your checkmark is green your port is open for connections.
in the event you turn yellow, which can happen if you change your listening port by accident it is good to know about port forwarding.

Hi guys

I was wondering axxxo if your are still having speed problems with you utorrent I have been tweaking my utorrent for ages
I would like to help you tweak your utorrent to squeeze them extra speeds for all the open licence material of course
If your want to give it a go
There are a load of different tweaks you could try all based on provider, router, connection speeds, Operating System and of course firewall

Some of the things you could try is find out an accurate speed of your web connection by going to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I recommend at least 3 tests and average the results

If you give me the results I could recommend upload speed limits, max global connections , max number of connected peers and so on

These can help quiet a bit as sometimes less means more

We could try these first and see how it goes

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

sorry forgot to mention your ip address it is on the sppedtest so if you screenshot be careful and brush it out with paint called me old fashioned

hi byrnie, good point, i should have stated my settings in the screens above are based on speedtest already, well the upload anyway. where the upload does seem dismal that im not sharing, once the download is finished it it does get alot higher. one great change i noticed with the settings above was that it simply connected me to more seeds, where before i could be conected to maybe 20 on a good torrent, it now connects me to 100 plus, typical 700mb file used to take a few hours reduced to around 20-40 mins on a well seeded torrent at least.
have you made any changes to the advanced settings?

Delighted to see you posting Byrnie (y)

Your vast knowledge will be very beneficial to all the members here :)

Hope all is well with you buddy (y)

-

Cheers Gman should of been using the forum sooner but its all good now

Axxxo I had to play around with the setting quite a bit on ntl 20mb and was getting very slow speeds

Ntl tend to throttle torrents a lot so in preferences under bittorrent I have changed protocol encryption to forced this helped some

Also when my up speed was anything close to 80% of my actual upload it slowed the down speed but trying not to be to tight I would usually leave it a close to 70% but I was caught one or twice with my upload speed being 1.4mb some of the time but 1.1mb most of it (supposed to be 1.5 ) I used this as a reference I have mine set for 85 kB/s

The maximum connected peers per torrent can be a fine line

I played around with the max connected peers settings and found out that both high and low settings hurt the download speed of a torrent.

I realised that if you take your max upload speed that you set in utorrent and multiply it by 1.4
85*1.4 = 119.0

For maximum upload slots I found that if you divide your upload speed by 6 and round up it helped

85/6=14.1667 so 15

Global maximum connections I found multiply the upload speed by 10
85*10=850

These setting I find gives a nice balance between connecting to many seeds and having a very low average and not connecting to enough

I have my half open tcp/ip set to 50 I had to run a patch to achieve this you can check yours by going to preferences - advanced its called net.max_half open

This limits the simultaneous connections your computer can make or receive some people recommend not changing this as it increase the amount off computers that connect to you

The Value can be changed in utorrent but also must be changed in your operating system to match

Also I Set my computer to a static ip address and forwarded the ports in the router this allowed me to turn of f upnp port mapping and NAT-PMP port mapping in utorrent this helped to increase speeds

I set my ip address to

89.101.xxx.xxx (primary dns of ISP)
89.101.xxx.xxx (secondary dns of ISP)

I feel this helps the router deal with all the inbound and outbound requests

If you feel any of these setting could be helpful to you and need more information feel free to ask

thanks a mil byrnie, i had applied that patch before but cant for the life of me find it again since my last reinstallation, so many things to try and remember, thanks to G's acronis thats not gonna happen again!
gonna check all these settings the weekend, just recently started back on the night shift so my head is everywhere at the moment!

my net.max halfopen is set at 8 by default

did you use ipconfig/all for ip address settings or what way did you go about getting the settings for the static address?

appreciate the advice once again :)

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

just found the patch again ;)

Axxxo What service provider are you with here in Ireland and what is your connection speed supposed to be?

ntl 10mb knotaclu, was on 20mb, speedtest wasnt giving me great results at anytime of the day so dropped back to the 10 to more realistic results

I just prepared a post for you bud,you will have to bear with me as i am with eircom so your homepage might be slightly different to mine,but it should work out the same way

If you are like me and your isp is with eircom - here is the way i set up my port forwarding on bitcomet,it is the same on u-torrent i think

on your address bar at the top of your browser - blank it all out and simply type in 192.168.100.1 and hit enter - This will bring you to your isp`s default home page where you can access all your info.dns servers,your wireless connection password your ip address e.t.c.

go into "custom services"-click on "define custom services - click this box - "Forward a range of WAN ports to an IP address on the LAN" click next - service name - (enter either bitcomet or u-torrent here)
Global port range i set to 1000 and 10000, --Base host port i set at 1000. when you click next, it will say the nat service has been added.
go into firewall settings on home page of router and set it to low.don`t worry it still prevents most attempts from the Internet from identifying the network address of your Router.
next go into expert mode and choose "configure" then advanced then NAT.
in service name scroll down to the one you just named (should be the last one with a *beside it, choose this and then click enable,then click select host device (your computer should be named here)

exit all that and double click on utorrent or bitcomet and set your listening port to any number between 1000 and 10000.
enable NAT and enable upnp.
Lastly exit all that and go into windows firewall settings,click exceptions - click add programme and type in the name you created earlier - set to port nember 1000 and TCP protocol
click add programme and again type in the name you made earlier,again choose port 1000 BUT this time choose UDP protocol.
exit all and you should be flying!
hope this helps you as much as it did me!
the 192.168.100.1 should be your default isp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Knotaclu is should of asked provider and speed also bang on the money for eircom and everything really,

Axxxo Ntl have a few variants in there installed hardware and different routers have different ip ranges and slightly different terminology and layout but the principle is the exact same

Some ntl installs have a modem (aqua blue Motorola, black Motorola or green scientific Atlanta) and router which is usually a net gear wgr614 version 9 but can be a older version though and on new installs post June have a Cisco systems combined modem router

If you have the net gear wgr614 you can log onto it by going to your web browser and typing in the address bar 192.168.1.1 and username: admin and password: password go to advanced - portfowarding in the netgear router and chose add custom service my setting in screen shot
[/URL

there is a setting in wan setup which says disable SPI firewall this played absolute havoc with my torrent speeds so I ticked it and disabled the SPI firewall, I have a firewall on every pc on the network so I felt it was ok

Also I don't know if you have seen this but it's an awful handy website [URL="http://portforward.com/"]http://portforward.com/
on this site it allows you to chose brand of router, then the program and gives you a step by step guide how to forward the appropriate port (I use 65325) you have chosen and set the ip address you have chosen
Here's the direct link for the net gear and utorrent

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v9/Utorrent.htm

N.B on this site if you choose how to set my ip address it tells you to set your default primary dns to the same as your router/default gateway(192.168.1.1) but I set this to the primary dns of the isp you will find it in router status and its called domain name server (on the net gear router) also set your secondary dns as well

For setting a static ip address I choose something high up the range 192.168.1.136 as to ensure the router doesn't give it to another machine

If you do an ipconfig /all and get the following

Ip Address 192.168.1.x
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 (ip address of router)

Primary Dns Server 192.168.1.1 (I change this to the Dns of ISP not the router)

You can set your ip address based on this.
change the x and leave everything else the same (or if you want put in the isp dns see screen shot below)

You can set your computers ip address in Xp by

1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.

2) Control Panel window will appear. Double click on Network Connections.

3) Network Connections window will appear. Right click correct Local Area Connection by identifying correct network card and click Properties.

4) Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on Properties

You will see the area's to put in the ip address the screen shot has my ip address etc in it

After I have done this I disable upnp in utorrent (which allows utorrent to send commands to the router to open a port on a specific ip address) as the router is already configured manually I think this stops the requests to the router to see if the port is open which generates more traffic I could be way to fickle on this one

Sorry to seem like I'm ranting but I would like to give you a full picture of the way I set it up as it took me a while to finally get it right with my line and to be honest there nothing more fulfilling for me than to share the knowledge

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

sorry about the screen shots i'm a wally here there are in better size

Dns netgear

Port Foward Netgear

My Ip setting

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a mil for your posts lads, i probably wont get to play around with this until sunday eve but look forward to doing it!

my router is netgear wgr614 v7
modem is scientific atlanta but when i log into it it gives me no options on the tabs to change any settings. the only tab that shows information is system, all the other tabs say this feature is not enabled.

i used to disable windows firewall myself when downloading torrents from trusted sources but ill switch the router one off like you suggest, looking forward to trying all this out. hopefully there will be a torrent site left by the time i do lol

enjoying windows 7 byrnie?

thanks again lads!

edit : ive looked up tonnes of posts of utorrent settings and i personally think this one has been the most informative!

Last edited:
thanks a mil for your posts lads, i probably wont get to play around with this until sunday eve but look forward to doing it!

my router is netgear wgr614 v7
modem is scientific atlanta but when i log into it it gives me no options on the tabs to change any settings. the only tab that shows information is system, all the other tabs say this feature is not enabled.

i used to disable windows firewall myself when downloading torrents from trusted sources but ill switch the router one off like you suggest, looking forward to trying all this out. hopefully there will be a torrent site left by the time i do lol

enjoying windows 7 byrnie?

thanks again lads!

edit : ive looked up tonnes of posts of utorrent settings and i personally think this one has been the most informative!

Informative it certainly is axxxo, but then again it is byrnie & I can vouch that this lad knows what he's talking about. He's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to all aspects of computing & Networking (builds the odd super duper gaming machine from time to time too).

A definite asset to all of us here, that's for sure.

-

cheers Gman

no panic axxxo there probably be a bit of tooing and froing anyway before we get ya singing and dancing lol

192.168.100.1 is your modem which is locked down so can't change any setting there but if you could give me the info I have circled in the screen shot I might be able to see why you weren't achieving the 20mb

192.168.1.1 or what ever your default gateway is in ipconfig is your net gear router this is where we can forward the ports and disable the firewall

Receive Power Level
-1.4 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
40.2 dBmV

this the info your looking for byrnie?

also is there a "test" torrent i could use to see if changes made had any effect?

Maybe a bit off of what you were wanting but I've switched to VUZE. I"m sure there's an issue with it since you're using Utorrent.. I was using version 1.6.1 Utorrent and would get "speed" and "connection" issues all the time... since going to VUZE my problems seem to be minimal at worst. ;) hth in some way. ;)

i used to be a vuze man myself greensman but the opposite happened to me when i switched to utorrent lol

my speeds are not actually that bad at the moment but if there's room for improvement ill take it :)

head is frizzled at the mo as im just finished work an its 4.30 am here in eire so im not gonna mess with the router now at the moment before i do something i regret lol

i already tried something out with changing the ip in the router but when i went to log back into it it told me the other ip address is currently viewing it, gonna call it a day for now, nieces and nephews birthday in the morning, screaming kids and cake, cant wait :)

also is there a "test" torrent i could use to see if changes made had any effect?

There is Axxxo,

You can use either or both of these test files (.BIN & .ISO) to check your download speeds.

Compare the speed results with the speed you get for a similar well seeded Torrent. It will give you a good indication if any improvements have taken place.

100MB Test Bin File: (Smart Telecom)

509MB Test Bin File: (Heatnet)

-

Last edited:
Back