Starview Not Connected - working previously

Starpen

Hello, I have tried to find threads to help me with my problem but no joy so far with any suggestions. I disconnected my Starview 7 box recently and when reconnected I get "not connected" in the status bar. I have put the connections exactly as previous. I did have a VM engineer come round recently as my broadband was playing up - the engineer only changed the coaxil plug.

If I put the cable wire into the modem - the broadband works fine. If I put the cable wire into my original VM box - the TV works fine. So the signal must be ok. I now have the cable wire in the Starview 7 box in "Cable In" and then have another wire from the box from "Loop" to the modem. And aslo a Lan wire from the router to the Starview box. I have also rebooted several times and no luck.

I am on Carling 1.0.1 but this has been working fine so dont think it's a firmware issue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thanks!

way behind the times,newest firmware is 1.04,reflash box and factory reset resan without lan connected,loop out is used for like a vcr or signal to another room,scan from direct feed only no splitters or extensions,after channels loaded plug in lan and poweroff box and router/then switch box and router.
only cables needed are coaxial into cable in,scart lead and the adapter for the lan.

Wow - ok, and I thought I was pretty up to speed! LOL. So to clarify I dont need a cable from "loop out" to my VM modem? All I require is a LAN cable to my router?

I've read that upgrading to 1.0.4 on starview 7 has problems? Can I get it via the box (software update on network) or do I have to do it on USB? will this all help with the continuous freezing?

Thanks for your time!

Hi, I tried all the above apart from uploading the new firmware as I dont have a USB stick with me. Still no joy. I asked someone with the same box and have everything set up correct. I had to use a cable from loop out as I have a VM modem. So, I have a cable from loop out to the modem and an ethernet cable from the starview to the wireless and and another ethernet cable from the modem to the wireless.

All the ights flash up on the wireless so it recongises the starview. The modem lights are on too - apart from send/rcv. The loop out cable works as I tested it elsewhere. The VM signal works on broadband and on the original box. So everything seems in order.

However, will the starview not work since I am on Carling-1.01.0-UKC? As I mentioned it was working 2 days ago until I disconnected it all.

Appreciate all your help.

Added after 36 minutes:

sorry, one more question - if i do need to update to 1.0.4 - can i connect to starview using the RS 232 cable direct from my PC to the starview and whats the steps to get the box to be upgraded? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
All settings, I am told, are correct. I see UStream and I can also see Emulator.

Driving me crazy!!! It's been working fine until I disconnected it all!!!

lan adapter to router .... router to modem,loop out would be for tv or a vcr only with coaxial cable,router and modem cat5

The cables all seem in order. I took pictures of the setup before I disconnected it all and checked a setup with a friend. I've also checked all the cables and none of them are faulty. The only thing I have NOT done is upgrade the software as I dont have a USB stick with me.

Would an old version (1.01) cause the "not connected" despite working fine 2 days ago? Thanks.

its possible anything can change now,did you power off all 3 units then on to see if it hooks up,if not update it will need.

Yes, Cactikid. Powered off/on several times now. Completely baffled but will try an update. Seems strange that an old version would stop it from working!

Yep, only the usual freeview channels are working. I'll try an update tonight - thats the only thing left to try. I'm just surprised that disconnecting starview and reconnecting it caused the server not to regonise carling 1.01.

Slowly giving up!
1) updated 1.03 successfully, reset factory settings, rescanned and it finds all the settings. Made sure emu was correct and ustream but still says scrambled.
2) tried 1.04 after 30 mins and same thing. I can see all the channels but the status bar says "can't find server"

I read previous threads and see that ustream doesn't exist on 1.04. Under IP setup I see addresses and it's set to Auto.

Under Emu, Key edit, I see 8 systems - do I need to select any?

So at the moment, I'm only seeing free channels.

Please please help me!!!!!!!

Hi Steve, thanks for your time. Tried your suggestion several times and no luck at all.

I can see all the IP addresses under Networks and it's set to Auto. There seems to be a feed going through but still says scrambled. Also do I need select any system under Emu, Keyedit? I can see Irdeto, Nagra, etc etc

I must be close to fixing this!!!

under emu all should say on, do you have your coax cable in,and just your lan straight from the router, nothing else plugged in, and by the way that vm engineer didnt see your sv7 did he or youll be getting a knock at the door, you might have to leave it on sky sports for ten minutes at least give it a chance

Last edited:
what signal level and quality are you getting on a channel,is bbc1 working and other freeview
just to recheck it is a sv7 and not a sv6

Last edited:
LOL - no I disconnected and moved the SV box. Infact, thats the whole problem - it was perfect before!

Here's what I have connected.
VM Cable --> SV box (Cable In)
Lan Cable from wireless --> SV box (via RS 232)
Ethernet cable from wireless --> VM modem.

I also have a seperate coaxil cable from SV box (loop out) --> VM modem. Cactikid told me I dont need this and I have tried without and rebooted etc and still no luck.

With regards to emu - all says On. In Emulator I see Key Edit, Reset Data and Autoupdate (and this is all On).

Under network I have Network Setting as Auto and then all addresses filled in followed by Apply at the bottom.

I've left it for a while on Sky Sports 1 and says Can't Find Server and Scramble on the screen. All Freeview is working fine.

This is driving me crazy!

Sorry, I should add all signals from VM seem fine. I can use the internet if I plug the VM Cable into the modem and I can use the Cable TV if I plug my old box with the VM cable so it's not a signal issue.

Back