Starview Not Connected - working previously

Sorry, cactikid - didnt see your post. Yes, it's SV7. S&Q signals are 95% (same as when it was working). Bbc1 etc are all working just not others!

Steve - I tried different LAN socket and replaced all cables but no luck.

My pc can pick up my wireless network, it just seems the SV7 and modem are not communicating. If I plug the VM cable into the modem then all is ok. And snd/rcv flash but when I connect via sv then snd/rcv don't flash. I can only think it's a network setting on the sv box??

95 is way too high for box to work normally it should be around 88 each,i googled a picture of a vm modem and see a coaxial/cable and reset button and ethernet,sound right.....you have one coaxial feed do you have a splitter to split the signal then one goes to your modem/cable in to give you your ethernet,other cable from splitter to the cable in on sv7,rs232/lan to wireless and another lan cable from wireless to the vm modem.fingers crossed lol
and see what signal level is then

Hi Cactikid, by signal and quality - I assume you are refering to the S&Q in the information bar. When I scan for channels it says 95% (it's always been 95% and was working fine).

The VM modem you looked at seems a different model but is the same without the reset button. I dont have a splitter - never had one when it was working somehow! Anyway, what you suggest sounds correct - I can see a satellite splitter in M*plin (code BM90X). I'll try putting the original feed into the splitter and one coaxil cable into SV Cable In and one into the modem - hopefully that solves it!!! Will let you know.

Cheers guys - appreciate your time.

Hi Starpen,

Another thing to try, the more things that you can take out of the equation the better. By what i can gather you must have at least two ethernet cables.

A suggestion would be to take the wireless router out of the picture by connecting straight from your VM modem to your Starview.
To do this, unplug the power cord from your VM modem, and switch off your Starview via the switch at the back. Connect one of your ethernet wires from VM modem to the Starview.
Plug power cord in to VM modem and wait for the ready light to stop flashing and stay on (this MUST NOT continualy flash). Swtch your Starview on via the swith at the back.
Keep your fingers, arms, and legs crossed lol

If this does not work, repeat the whole process again with another ethernet lead, This will all but eliminate a faulty lead.

Depending on what happens you can revisit the wireless router later.

Good Luck Bud.

Great, thx Jodav. I can try that too - it does seem that all cables and the VM Modem + Router are working but you never know - so will try that. Think I still need a splitter though? Thats the whole issue that Cactikid mentioned from the start and sounds logical to split the VM cable into the modem and SV7 box. But who knows, how it worked previously without a splitter!! So, will give all your suggestions a try later this evening.

Appreciate all your time and help. Thx guys.

One things for sure, it will not work without two live cable feeds (one to VM Modem and one to Starview).
If you have not installed a splitter, and VM have not installed one in the terminal box, then i am not sure how you have managed it before.:dunno:

:cheesy grin:

ALL DONE GUYS!

Special thanks to Cactikid, Steve & Tommy for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it. (Will Thanks You on the forum).

Basically, I could have not wasted your time and listen to Cactikid from Day1 - I needed a splitter. I still have no idea how it was connected before from my AV guy but bought a splitter and I'm using the internet and watching SV - great stuff. I'm back!

Cheers again. Thanks.

BTW - pic quality looks better - dont know if it's the way its connected or 1.04.

Added after 2 minutes:

Opps - and great thanks to Jodav as well. Thanks mate

Last edited:
Theres also a "Thanks" button under each members post if you`d like to use that :)

Glad you got sorted (y)

Glad you sorted and thanks for posting back and letting us know, it may help someone else :)

well done i had a sleepless night with that,the reason picture may be better is you may be getting a lower signal and quality now,what are the readings now for info for others

thanks guys.

seems arnd high 80s - doesnt say on the info bar unless i do an autosearch.

i need to chk live footie matches as i was getting lots of freezing so want to see what 1.04 is like. Seems better but early days and only sports news on at the moment!

My valid to says 1oct as expected.

hmmm...now need to find some other features for SV7! LOL

Short story is, USE A SPLITTER!!!!

well done, enjoy, but you'll have to put up with the freezing i don't think they've solved that yet

Last edited:
Back