Stay one step ahead of scammers!

bonus2010

VIP Member
I got this email from Virgin Media end of July titled "Stay one step ahead of scammers" giving advice on how to identify a genuine caller from Virgin Media.

I've been puzzled by it for a while, and thinking there must be something I'm missing here..

You see, it says and the way I read it, I'm suppose to identify a genuine caller, if I'm asked to confirm my address,/post code, my email, account number and/or date of birth.
All pieces of information I'd never release to an unknown caller..

The email does appear genuine, addressing me with my first name. Anybody else had this?

I did remember getting sales calls from VM until I checked the 'no marketing' box, and they did ask these
questions, which I wouldn't answer to an unknown caller.

Here's a screenshot of the bits I'm talking about.

vm.jpg

You have a memorable word, which ideally you only use with virgin. So it's only if you cannot confirm three random letters of that will you need to confirm other details. The other option is that you just hang up and ring them instead as they mention, so that you know its them.

Looks legit to me. I don't have virgin though.

You have a memorable word, which ideally you only use with virgin. So it's only if you cannot confirm three random letters of that will you need to confirm other details. The other option is that you just hang up and ring them instead as they mention, so that you know its them.

Looks legit to me. I don't have virgin though.

Yes, that's fine if I'm calling Virgin, they need to confirm my identity and will ask for my password. However, if VM call me, how do I know its a genuine caller... surely I need to confirm their identity, that can't be achieved by
me giving to an 'unkown' caller my security information, which is how I read it...

Yes, that's fine if I'm calling Virgin, they need to confirm my identity and will ask for my password. However, if VM call me, how do I know its a genuine caller... surely I need to confirm their identity, that can't be achieved by
me giving to an 'unkown' caller my security information, which is how I read it...
Please reconfirm bank details also for a smooth transaction

They are only asking for two bits of information which could be your postcode and first line of address which is the normal minimum and isn’t what would be classed as security information it does look legit but you are right to be on your guard as scammers are everywhere nowadays.

You would have chose a memorable word when you sign up to virgin, and that word should be unique. So only you and virgin know that word. But like they say, just call them back if you're uncomfortable.

You would have chose a memorable word when you sign up to virgin, and that word should be unique. So only you and virgin know that word. But like they say, just call them back if you're uncomfortable.

Of course, I'd call VM back, but they're not offering good advice as part of they're email

I don't have a memorable word, but if their email said for me to ask them to confirm memorable word, that would help, but its not.

Back