Suitable for Hotbird/nc+?

Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with my home satellite set-up for a few months now - changed the dish alignment and size in the hope of picking up Polish TV (nc+ etc) from Hotbird. In the most part it's worked well, but the nc+ box that I bought with the card has been very picky about signal quality, with lots of glitches on a few channels.

In desperation, I picked up a cheap OpenBox V8S a few weeks ago, just to see if it would make a difference, and it showed a big improvement on picture quality and stability with the same input. Unfortunately, the box itself is pretty odd to use, with some very strange things happening with the EPG and Timer Recordings (the current firmware shuts down after every recording, for starters...).

I've been looking at Zgemma H2S as a possible upgrade, therefore - but while I see lots of tutorials about how to set it up for Sky and Astra 28.2, I haven't seen much on whether there are channel lists etc for the Hotbird satellite. Can anyone clarify if this is the case? It looks a good box - a better box than the OpenBox, for sure - but that obviously only applies if I can get it to access the Hotbird channels...

Thanks in advance for any advice, and regards to all,

Discy

The H2.S is much more customizable as it's an enigma 2 receiver and you can program the channel lists for 13e and others satellites. I use a motorised dish myself to be able to use all satellites within range but there's guys on here who use multi lnb setup who may know a bit more on this particular issue like @steptoe :)

Hi, I can get nc+ on Hotbird 13e on a multi LNB set up on a 65cm dish in NW England,
I have an edision box which is very similar to the H2s for setting up,
Very good channel list available.

Thanks @steptoe - is it also relatively straightforward to set up the EPG for the Hotbird channels?

Kind regards,

Discy

really easy,
once you select 13e as your satellite ABM adjusts the providers available and you select which ones you want in the EPG
give me 5 mins and I'll take a picture,
I dont get all the channels on Hotbird though, but thats simply because I'm using 3 sats on a 65cm dish and fail to get a good enough signal on some of the TPs,
hopefully a bit of fine tuning will solve that,
but, if you are only pointing at Hotbird, or using a larger dish, you will have no problems getting them all, I can get them all by moving my dish a little, I just dont have time atm, hopefully at the weekend

i presume a multisat line opens up a few worth while channels,need to buy a decent box for my dead protek replacement and have epg again lol

i presume a multisat line opens up a few worth while channels,need to buy a decent box for my dead protek replacement and have epg again lol
yep,
opens up a lot more than I was expecting,
my dilemma now is,
do I go motorised on my 1m dish,
or leave it multisat and see if I can get 23 and 16 on it,? as well as 13 19 and 28,
and tbh, thats what Im seriously thinking right now,

That's tremendously useful to see, @steptoe - thank you. Is that EPG downloaded automatically from a source available here on Techkings? It looks in a different league to the one on the Openbox V8S.
I know what you mean, I have an F5 [older similar model to a V8s ] and it is a world of difference having a proper epg
that one is the basic one that comes with an Edision , its OpenVix, a zGemma will come with OpenAtv which I believe is very similar,
you can however put a different image on it to make it look just like a SLY box :)
I had one on mine until recently when I had to change some things, but will deffo put it back on, I can recommend Whooshbuild as being very good and user friendly,

it amazes me why people have moved away from 28.2 and still want a sky skin and using foreign sats:grin::grin:

i have 2 fixed dishes 28.2 and 19. i think + motorised.

it amazes me why people have moved away from 28.2 and still want a sky skin and using foreign sats:grin::grin:

i have 2 fixed dishes 28.2 and 19. i think + motorised.

it doesnt bother me what it looks like, as long as it works,
but 'er indoors wants something she can recognise, even though we've not had SLY since NAG2,!! :grin:

In fact, I'd much rather not have a Sky-derived skin at all. Nor the Virgin Media one. I just want a nice, clear EPG that works.

In fact, I'd much rather not have a Sky-derived skin at all. Nor the Virgin Media one. I just want a nice, clear EPG that works.

well,
if ATV is anything like VIX then its nice, plain and simple,
so you should be good to go out of the box, :(y):

Okay, I've ordered an H2.S - delivery due later this week.

Any suggestions on which firmware I should use? I'm not bothered about a Sky-derived skin; I just want something that's clear and easy to use. From what I can see on the Zgemma official site, it supports OpenVix, OpenSPA, OpenPLi4, OpenDroid and OpenATV, amongst others...

Any advice gratefully received, as always!

Discy

I'd say OpenATV
I don't think there is an official version of openVIX for zgemma boxes

Is your dish just pointed at 13 or do you get other SATs as well. ?

Just 13. No interest in Sky; we get enough to watch in English through our TV's Freeview connection plus Netflix etc. But I wanted the Polish channels because my wife is Polish and we want our little boy to watch kids' TV in that language.

Discy

Back