Trouble Installing Netgear Driver

Hi moh,

SP2 is only a collection of all the updates for XP prior to & including SP2.

It's an installable executable so does not require a key.

Did you register the DLL files?

Did you try to apply the kb822603 update?

Try this before you attempt SP2.

-

Hi moh,

SP2 is only a collection of all the updates for XP prior to & including SP2.

It's an installable executable so does not require a key.

Did you register the DLL files?

Did you try to apply the kb822603 update?

Try this before you attempt SP2.

-

just tried all the above tried to install the driver again getting the same message again "please go to site etc...to download hotfix kb822603,tried to install this from my pen drive but its telling me to make sure my cryptographic service is running.......so its swings and roundabouts at this stage Gman. :(

Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.

In the small box that Opens, type: gpedit.msc then click the OK button.
In the new windows that opens you will see a menu on the left hand side.
Under Computer Configuration you will see a folder called Windows Settings - double click it.
The new options that appear directly below include Security Settings - double click it.
The new options that appear directly below include Software
Restriction Policies
- double click it.
Now on the right hand side of the window you will see an object called Trusted Publishers - double click it and a new window appears.

In this window change the setting under Allow the following users to select trusted publishers to the default which should be End Users.

-

You'll be glad to know that I have only one more step left if you fail again.

LOL!.

After that you should try to run the SP2 install.

-

No software restriction policies defined so theres no Trusted Publishers that i can click on ...and i know what your next tip is Bin It lol

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

You'll be glad to know that I have only one more step left if you fail again.

LOL!.

After that you should try to run the SP2 install.

-

Tried the sp2 installation also and guess what :censored:

OK,

That machine is a little more screvved up then it looks lol!.

Are we having fun yet?

some patches can be installed with this workaround:

When a patch tries to install itself it will "unpack" all the files into a temporary folder on your PC. If the install fails you might just be able to grab the file you need and move it to the folder Windows XP should have put it in...

Here is an example of what I mean.

First look for the following file on your computer: dberr.txt

Open it and look for the entry that matches the patch number you just tried to install. In this case it is the security patch kb822603

Open it and look for the entry that matches the patch number you just tried to install. In this example it is the security patch kb822603

It should look something like this,

kbchart.jpg

We can clearly see that the security patch kb822603 failed to install because Windows XP claims it could NOT find it...

So let's try to give it a helping hand...

We will do this by copying the kb822603.cat file from the temporary unpack folder at the root of C: AND placing this copy in the C:\WINDOWS\System32\CatRoot folder... PLEASE do not put the copied file in the CatRoot2 folder by mistake!

(If you can not find the kb822603.cat file in this example, you could use the search facility on the start menu..)

Now run the patch again and it should install for you...

-

searched for the dberr.txt couldnt find it.at this stage and after all your help Gman im going to bin it,i did everything you said to do on the posts but it just isnt working this pc could have initially come with a pre installed OS ie no windows disc supplied,i think my only way out of this is a recovery disc to let me format and reinstall the OS via the recovery partition.but getting a recovery disc for this make and model as its old could be a daunting experience.if i dont bin it im wondering do i get another xp disc and enter the product key code thats on the pc case as this product key code was assigned to this pc form factory built. :confused:

Just a last couple of questions moh,

Since you registered the DLL files did you try to install SP2 itself (never mind the update file)?

Does the PC actual have a recovery partition on it?
If it does you should see the option to enter setup or something similar on the splash screen during startup (I'm not talking about the BIOS setup now).

Some come with a recovery partition & others come with a recovery Disc.

If it has the partition than you can choose that option at startup & reinstall without a key & no need to worry about drivers either.

Failing all that, you can format the Disc & do a clean install (Backup your drivers first though if you go that route) There's a freebie for that here.

If you go for the reinstall you will need to get an OEM disc in order to use your existing key.

As a last resort, you could use/borrow/get elsewhere another iso image or Disc with it's own key & carry out a clean install with that. While that would allow you to install it, it would eventually be rejected by MS. I can talk to you further about that later if you go that route ;-)

-

searched for the dberr.txt couldnt find it.at this stage and after all your help Gman im going to bin it,i did everything you said to do on the posts but it just isnt working this pc could have initially come with a pre installed OS ie no windows disc supplied,i think my only way out of this is a recovery disc to let me format and reinstall the OS via the recovery partition.but getting a recovery disc for this make and model as its old could be a daunting experience.if i dont bin it im wondering do i get another xp disc and enter the product key code thats on the pc case as this product key code was assigned to this pc form factory built. :confused:

It may be a pain in the ****, but a recovery disk can probably be gotten from the manufacturer. I had to order one for my moms Compaq POS last year. Just went online and went to support where I had to enter the serial number. It popped up with her pc and what was installed, then I just ordered the recovery disk set. Maybe you can go that route with yours as well.

It may be a pain in the ****, but a recovery disk can probably be gotten from the manufacturer. I had to order one for my moms Compaq POS last year. Just went online and went to support where I had to enter the serial number. It popped up with her pc and what was installed, then I just ordered the recovery disk set. Maybe you can go that route with yours as well.

thanks ferg i did a bit of research on it and i think that the best option is to order the recovery disc for my particular make and model from the manufacturer the factory installed windows is in the machine somewhere but i cant access it via the normal methods apparently Compaq had got window xp written for their own pcs i.e. different to other copies of windows.i have 2 other pcs from different manufacturers and have no probs accessing their recovery partitions ;).

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Just a last couple of questions moh,

Since you registered the DLL files did you try to install SP2 itself (never mind the update file)?

Does the PC actual have a recovery partition on it?
If it does you should see the option to enter setup or something similar on the splash screen during startup (I'm not talking about the BIOS setup now).

Some come with a recovery partition & others come with a recovery Disc.

If it has the partition than you can choose that option at startup & reinstall without a key & no need to worry about drivers either.

Failing all that, you can format the Disc & do a clean install (Backup your drivers first though if you go that route) There's a freebie for that here.

If you go for the reinstall you will need to get an OEM disc in order to use your existing key.

As a last resort, you could use/borrow/get elsewhere another iso image or Disc with it's own key & carry out a clean install with that. While that would allow you to install it, it would eventually be rejected by MS. I can talk to you further about that later if you go that route ;-)

-

Hi Gman im going to try and get the recovery disc from Compaq unlike my other pcs i cant get into the recovery partition and after all the wonderful help you gave me if it could have been sorted you would have sorted it with all your help over the last few days,I Cant Thank You Enough For All Your Help I Sincerely Mean That .... Kindest Regards (y)(y)

Last edited:
Well G i installed another OPS xp sp 2 all went well etc pc up and running connected to the net via the netgear etc but during the installation i was over active on the mouse hence i ended up with 2 partitions the old xp plus the new one so when the pc boots up i have to click on the first xp on the list (the new installation) to get where i want to.any ideas how i could delete the second partition?any help is much appreciated in advance.

are chipset drivers installed?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Well G i installed another OPS xp sp 2 all went well etc pc up and running connected to the net via the netgear etc but during the installation i was over active on the mouse hence i ended up with 2 partitions the old xp plus the new one so when the pc boots up i have to click on the first xp on the list (the new installation) to get where i want to.any ideas how i could delete the second partition?any help is much appreciated in advance.

you could format it, or just delete it.

too tech for me homie i pop the disc in and hope for the best.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

are chipset drivers installed?

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

you could format it, or just delete it.

how do i delete that partition homie rather than trolling through the net if i got a simple enough tutorial to delete/format that partition.

too tech for me homie i pop the disc in and hope for the best.

Are you sure you have 2 partitions or is it two entries in your Boot.ini file? (the old & the new).

If the above is the case you can remove the obsolete entry from the Boot.ini file.

Procedure:

Start

Right Click "My Computer"

Choose "Properties"

Click on the "Advanced" TAB

Then click on the "Settings" button in the Startup and Recovery section (see Pic).

adtab.jpg

Click the "EDIT" button (see Pic)

editb.jpg

You will see a screen like this.

boot1.jpg

If it has two (2) entries like the one in the red box in picture, delete one of them & save the file.

Thet should start with (0) & (1)

-

G just did what you said and im sorted and honestly i cant thank you enough for all your help im giving you a thanks here but you can multiply that by 100 times you are a major asset to TKs (y)

Last edited:
G just did what you said and im sorted and honestly i cant thank you enough for all your help im giving you a thanks here but you can multiply that by 100 times you are a major asset to TKs (y)

Could not agree with you more moh.

glad you got it sorted moh!

Back