Tune Failed

channelking

I know raised this issue numerous times but really thought this issue was done for and has once again got me worried and stressed.

Since last update to firmware I think 6 months ago didnt have tune failed message at all until today. Well that is what parents told me as they watch FTA channels on sly.

Until today where no channel is clearing on sat and saying tune failed.

Could it be again out of date firmware causing the issue or once again maybe an actual fault somewhere be it LNB, feeds, dish or box?

Can anyone please tell me if out of date firmware is causing tune failed message or is it legit issue with equipment.

Tune failed could signify that the cables from dish are faulty, could also signify that the LNB is shot, Cables not tightened properly, etc.
is the tuner set up correctly in the settings ( has someone messed with remote?)
To rule these out you should check out cabling, if it were possible to bring your box somewhere else, or bring another box to yours.
A software upgrade shouldn't really be necessary, I have a H2S in the bedroom, I never do anything with.
The only way to rule out a software issue would be to do an update. Failing that, reinstal whatever build you have.

Thing is mate went few years since last updated firmware. When updated 6 months ago I think didnt have tune failed message until week or so ago.

Yes keep thinking again cable feeds, dish or LNB.

Tuners and box could also be issue but I dont have anywhere to test my box to rule out box. Did ask neighbours but they just went awkward saying might damage something on their end.

Tuners are setup mate from what I know no one would even know how to get on that page in my house lol.

I rather it been software issue than legit problem mate. As if latter then truly screwed. Tried to call engineers out again but seem since last time the calling out charge gone up even more.

Was glad never had this tune failed issue for so many months. But parents mainly use sly so getting same old lecture about this issue.

Which engineers did you call out? SKY? does that mean you have a legit SKY sub in the house? if so, try the legit box at that connection, that could rule out the cabling, dish and LNB.
If you don't have a SKY sub, then all you have to do is reflash/do a software update, then that will rule out it being a software issue.

You did an update 6 months ago, so it is not years, and sometimes, boxes find a way of corrupting themselves, and the easy solution is reflash.

Which engineers did you call out? SKY? does that mean you have a legit SKY sub in the house? if so, try the legit box at that connection, that could rule out the cabling, dish and LNB.
If you don't have a SKY sub, then all you have to do is reflash/do a software update, then that will rule out it being a software issue.

You did an update 6 months ago, so it is not years, and sometimes, boxes find a way of corrupting themselves, and the easy solution is reflash.

No just independent ones.

Looked online and have few shops nearby but ridiculous calling out charge which not possible for me and no guarantee will be fixed.

Sorry think miscommunication. What I meant was before last update I done it was 2 years since I last updated box. Its been 6 months since latest update I think but that shouldnt cause tune failed to happen again.

Do you have a decent size memory stick?

Only 1gb mate.

Aye, OK PM me your address and l will send you a box that l don.t use. Then if you still have probs we know to look elsewhere.(y)

Thanks for kind generous offer mate. Have you on PM if need to take you up on offer. Much appreciated again.

Been speaking to my cousin and I am going to take my box to his house in next few days to see if have tune failed issue on his setup. If no tune failed then I guess that would mean tuners/box is fine.

Hopefully he can let me use his sly box at same time at my house.

I do think it is likely feeds, lnb or dish but will have concrete answer next few days.

I have a bad connection on motorised feed and get that issue a number of times with bad weather or wind.
Out of curiosity any idea how old cabling and lnb is and sky engineers are known for loose connections and skirts up.
Unknown to many f connectors corrode and can sometimes seize on lnb which also needs replacing.
I would think it is not box related but checking elsewhere is the right way to go.

Thanks for kind generous offer mate. Have you on PM if need to take you up on offer. Much appreciated again.

Been speaking to my cousin and I am going to take my box to his house in next few days to see if have tune failed issue on his setup. If no tune failed then I guess that would mean tuners/box is fine.

Hopefully he can let me use his sly box at same time at my house.

I do think it is likely feeds, lnb or dish but will have concrete answer next few days.

If, when you try your box at your cousins, it has tune fail, that then suggests it is firmware. simple reflash does it. in fact, if you are competant enough to flash the box, why not do it anyway, that means you can be pro active, rather than waiting for your cousin to be available.
If you don't fancy doing a flash, I WOULD TAKE WOODY UP ON HIS EXTREMELY KIND OFFER.
In fact, I seem to remember someone (my memory says Woody, but I could be wrong) Offering to go to your house and spend the half hour or so it would take to fix your box, but you refused their kind offer.
People are willing to help, but you have to let them.
Just as a matter of interest -
1. What general area are you in (not specific, just a geeral idea so we can see if we can get someone for you)
2. How many connections run from your current LNB?
3. How high is your current dish attached to the house, or is it on the chimney?
4. How old is the current Dish/LNB/Cabling set up?
5. What are local guys charging for the call out (nosey fecker me)

I have a bad connection on motorised feed and get that issue a number of times with bad weather or wind.
Out of curiosity any idea how old cabling and lnb is and sky engineers are known for loose connections and skirts up.
Unknown to many f connectors corrode and can sometimes seize on lnb which also needs replacing.
I would think it is not box related but checking elsewhere is the right way to go.

Had dish, cables, lnb fitted in late 90s I believe. So had few decades for sure.

Maybe with how old all the equipment is hence issue maybe but seen others who have had longer than me and their sat has no issue.

Have you a freesat box if so you could try connecting that up or go onto your box and have a look at the signal for the sat tuner and post image of your signal you could always re flash with grog free range aswell another thing is strip the cable back and re do your lnb to your box

Have a read of my post above too mate.
Two houses next to each other can get the exact same installer to fit everything on the one day, and one have trouble, and the other not. The reason can be as simple as the wind blows harder at the end of terrace than where it is blocked mid terrace, it can be a blocked gutter spilling onto the equipment on one, not the other, millions of little things.
I have seen what looks like a pile of rust working, while a new one doesn't.

If, when you try your box at your cousins, it has tune fail, that then suggests it is firmware. simple reflash does it. in fact, if you are competant enough to flash the box, why not do it anyway, that means you can be pro active, rather than waiting for your cousin to be available.
If you don't fancy doing a flash, I WOULD TAKE WOODY UP ON HIS EXTREMELY KIND OFFER.
In fact, I seem to remember someone (my memory says Woody, but I could be wrong) Offering to go to your house and spend the half hour or so it would take to fix your box, but you refused their kind offer.
People are willing to help, but you have to let them.
Just as a matter of interest -
1. What general area are you in (not specific, just a geeral idea so we can see if we can get someone for you)
2. How many connections run from your current LNB?
3. How high is your current dish attached to the house, or is it on the chimney?
4. How old is the current Dish/LNB/Cabling set up?
5. What are local guys charging for the call out (nosey fecker me)

Yes can reflash mate but only find it a chore to do as find it long process. Last reflash I did was 6 months ago. But if tune failed happens at his house wouldnt that indicate issue with tuners/box though?

I dont mean to refuse anyone mate I really dont and if I have come across as not being willing to take help woody and others I sincerely apologise. I dont mean to sound unappreciative I swear. I know how amazing and helpful people are on here. Hopefully can get some concrete anwsers when checking at my cousins to narrow what the fault truly is once and for all as no joke I have stressed myself of this. Hopefully going to get it checked tomorrow afternoon or Thursday.

1. West Midlands mate.
2.Two feeds from LNB to box.
3. Not on chimney but outside my bedroom I would say just slightly up.
4. Whole equipment/setup sly installed is decades old mate. Couple of decades easy.
5. Call out charges quoted to me range from £30-£50 and said no guarantee we can fix the problem either.

Have you a freesat box if so you could try connecting that up or go onto your box and have a look at the signal for the sat tuner and post image of your signal you could always re flash with grog free range aswell another thing is strip the cable back and re do your lnb to your box

Wish I could climb and do some DIY mate to fix this issue but I am not allowed to climb anything due to dizzy spells I have so that is not possible.

Have a read of my post above too mate.
Two houses next to each other can get the exact same installer to fit everything on the one day, and one have trouble, and the other not. The reason can be as simple as the wind blows harder at the end of terrace than where it is blocked mid terrace, it can be a blocked gutter spilling onto the equipment on one, not the other, millions of little things.
I have seen what looks like a pile of rust working, while a new one doesn't.

Thats the thing could be anything that may be the issue.

Satellite really is a bloody hassle with how many problems it can have without knowing what problem is lol.

OK . Stop making excuses, if we can't have a whip round to get the work done , get an estimate to have a new dish and cabling fitted and a pro-former invoice sent to me and l will pay.

Again thank you for your kind offer truly but I cant accept that offer mate.

I can't let someone pay for such work to be carried out.

Dont feel its right at all mate.

Again thank you so much mate for your offer. Such generosity is very special.

This time though I will get this fixed somehow don't care how long it takes even if it kills me lol.

I'm going to take you at your word here - Get it checked at your cousins, and if you can borrow his, then that is another test - Brill.

Now, when this happens, reply in this thread (not before) and report back to us your results. We are all willing to help, but you have to let us help you. Nobody does anything around here so they can be the big man, they do it for the community of us, and if they can go the extra mile, then they do( I could offer hundreds of examples, but I won't bother boring you) I have been on the recieving end of it here from Beni, Woosh, Maff, lamblamb, amongst the many.

TALK TO YOU ON THIS IN A COUPLE OF DAYS (y)(y)(y)

Back