UPC/NTL and not a complaint?? What's with that

Id question your usage linny as 5gigs over the space of a few weeks is very little in my eyes, just last night between download and upload i used about 20 gigs without suffering any speed loss. I do monitor my usage with bitmeter as gman suggested to me before so i dont go over my 250 gig limit a month (as i did 320 in one month before :) ) I read on virgin medias website that they have traffic management for fair use but there's no way i would be happy with them if they throttled my speed for using only 5 gigs over the last couple of weeks.
You should question them on this before switching to higher speed as if they throttle you on the 20 for that amount of use their still likely to do it on the 50.

so 5gig is not a lot then?? the way she made it sound was that that was an awful lot of usage over the last few weeks she told me that we were very high users of the internet - which did shock me. If we downloaded games films etc like others do then yeah id understand but my son dl'd youtube vids to songs and only does about 10-20 per week,but well since end of july has been online gaming (COD) most of the time - which apparently take up a lot of download and make my usage high, the other son is on skype and watches a lot of youtube and me well i just use the internet most of the day farming etc ( oops :) )
i very rarely upload and well with that sort of speed its just as well.
But like most households we have a lot of items that are using wireless like printer, game consoles ipods pcs/laptops no more than im sure most people on here have. And of course when my surrogate sons come round all the ipods/iphones/game consoles are linked to our wi-fi

do you know if there is somewhere where i can look up my useage with my provider so i can see exactly what we are using each week/month
Ive just found this on their webby but well tbh it doesnt mean much to me. the times that my son is heavy with online gaming is usually after 9pm til silly O'clock
Traffic management

We don't like traffic jams

At Virgin Media, we want all our customers to get the best service possible from their broadband. That means speedy downloads for all users - not just a few.

When someone is downloading and/or uploading a particularly large amount of information over a long period of time, it can slow down the broadband speed for other users who might just be checking their email or browsing online. So to make sure our service is fair for everybody, we sometimes moderate the speeds for the top 5% of customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually large amount.

This makes sure that the service doesn't get blocked up with people using more than their fair share - which means a lot fewer traffic jams.

What traffic management policies are you applying to the heaviest users?

That depends on the broadband package you're signed up to. You can check out the detail by taking a look at our 'Updated traffic management policy' table below.

It's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply when speeds are likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share.

In fact, the policies only affect the top 5% of users on a daily basis - those whose usage of the service would affect other users if they weren't managed.

What do the updates to the traffic management policy mean?

To make sure all customers get the most from their connection, we automatically reduce the speed of the heaviest users at peak times during the daytime and evening.

In this updated policy we have increased the thresholds for our Size: L and Size: XL customers.

Why do you have a traffic management policy?

We believe in making sure all our customers can use our Broadband without being slowed down by heavy users. So our traffic management policy is there to keep things fair.

Our traffic management policy protects the vast majority of our customers (over 95% of them) from these heavy users, ultimately providing faster, more consistent speeds for everyone.

Will the policy change again?

The way that our customers use their broadband is changing all the time, so it's possible that in the future we may increase or decrease the thresholds or modify other settings. Don't worry though, we'll always let you know on our website if we're going to make any changes, and we don't expect the thresholds to change very often.

Updated Traffic Management policy

Here’s the detail: Updated 12th May 2009

Size S M M
(After 10Mb upgrade) L XL XXL
Downstream max speed 2Mb 2Mb 10Mb 10Mb 20Mb 50Mb
Upstream max speed 256k 256k 512k 512k 768k 1.5Mb
Daytime Management
Downstream
When does it apply? 9am - 9pm 10am - 3pm 10am - 3pm 10am - 3pm 10am - 3pm N/A
Threshold 200MB 1000MB 1500MB 3000MB 7000MB N/A
% Throttled 75% 50% 75% 75% 75% N/A
Maximum Throttling Duration 12h 5h 5h 5h 5h N/A
Upstream
When does it apply? 9am - 9pm N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Threshold 100MB N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
% Throttled 50% N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Maximum Throttling Duration 12h N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Evening Management
Downstream
When does it apply? 9am - 9pm 4pm - 9pm 4pm - 9pm 4pm - 9pm 4pm - 9pm N/A
Threshold 200MB 500MB 750MB 1500MB 3500MB N/A
% Throttled 75% 50% 75% 75% 75% N/A
Upstream
When does it apply? 9am - 9pm 3pm - 8pm 3pm - 8pm 3pm - 8pm 3pm - 8pm N/A
Threshold 100MB 200MB 400MB 800MB 1400MB N/A
% Throttled 50% 50% 75% 75% 75% N/A

An example of how this works is that if a broadband Size: L customer downloaded 1500MB of data between 4pm and 9pm, their download speed would be temporarily set to up to 2.5Mb and their upload speed to up to 128Kb for 5 hours.

Last edited:
no aldan you are right, there are two arguments going on, one is the speed, in Mbs, and the amount per month you are allowed to download per month, in GB's. over this side of the world, we buy our plans based on the speed and the amount that we can download, the more of both you want, the more it costs.

LOL Wheelo just got my loyalty text this morn from NThell saying I've been upped to 5mb and to unplug modem etc. lol

LOL Wheelo just got my loyalty text this morn from NThell saying I've been upped to 5mb and to unplug modem etc. lol

ppppppfffffffffffftttttttttt - they dont do that here in the UK, but then suppose they are called vm now not n t hell lol so have a different set of rules

913971012.png

I have to say that i am pretty impressed with UPC
I thought i would never hear myself saying that.lol

never had a limit on my traffic or a letter from my isp.29.95 cdn a month.caught a little nasty this week and just got it cleared up.that slowed things down immeasurably.cheers all.

I got another text from UPC last Thursday to say they've upped my BB again, YAY :happy:

brought up from 5mb to 8mb,

Last edited:
well it has happened again, they texted me and said they were upgrading me from the 5mbs service to the 8mbs service and free too. woohoo, all i had to do was unplug the modem then replug it in.

1016.jpg

BEFORE

1017.jpg

AFTER

GREAT MIND AND ALL THAT ANTOlol

Last edited:
lol As far as I know :leaving:

I might ring them and ask for a free upgrade ;)

Edit - Jaysus anto, great minds and all that lol

thats twice in the last twenty minutes anto, omnipresent i can deal with, but when you start reading my mind. . . . . . thats just too freaky lol

I got the same message myself, upped from 15 to 20 but i did notice a difference in speed a couple of days before this.
I wonder though now since the slowest speed their offering to new customers is 10, what the price difference is between what people were paying for 5 who are now on 8 is?
10Mbps is advertised as 25euro per month

i am still officially only paying for 3megs, they have upgraded me twice, can't tell you the price as i have TV, Broadband, and Phone with them and i have a 50% discount on the TV part.

god im on 20 here we have * 10Mb - £6.25 for 6 months
* 20Mb - £10 for 6 months
* 50Mb - £12.50 for 6 months
* 100Mb from £35 a month ( ignore the pricesas they are wrong) my speed atm is busy this time of night

Back