USA, Lost the plot ?

Inflation has come down from 11% to just over 4%, its not going up.
Why are people asking for astronomical rises when things are going in the right direction?
4.6% to be correct.

Positive inflation means prices are going up.

You need to look at the cumulative inflation figures not the year-on-year figures to compare the numbers to those being asked for by the strikers.

4.6% to be correct.

Positive inflation means prices are going up.

You need to look at the cumulative inflation figures not the year-on-year figures to compare the numbers to those being asked for by the strikers.
Yes inflation is inflation, regardless of the %, I know that.
It was largely due to fuel prices, everything moves by air, rail or road.
People demanding extraordinary wage rises because their beans and toast have gone up is pi$$ing in the wind, everyone's beans on toast has gone up.
Increasing everyone's wages will just make them go up even more.
I'm not a fan of this government, I'm not a fan of any government but it doesn't take a genius to work out that throwing money all over the place is just going to make things worse for everyone, not just doctors and teachers on 40-180K a year but for those on 15-20K a year which are the vast majority

Last edited:
I think it's game over for this government, no matter what he offers as an incentive today. People are looking for a change. If labour are to be in so be it, they will make a mess of like they always do and then the conservatives will be back in for another decade sorting the problems out.
Inflations on its way down, every country in the world has suffored, we have been through 3 years of extraordinary circumstances, with COVID and the Ukrainian war and we have managed to avoid recession unlike some of our European neighbours.

I think it's game over for this government, no matter what he offers as an incentive today. People are looking for a change. If labour are to be in so be it, they will make a mess of like they always do and then the conservatives will be back in for another decade sorting the problems out.
Inflations on its way down, every country in the world has suffored, we have been through 3 years of extraordinary circumstances, with COVID and the Ukrainian war and we have managed to avoid recession unlike some of our European neighbours.
Labour will obviously get in.
And give everyone everything they ask for.
And borrow hundreds of billions to pay for it.
And leave a huge mess that takes 20 years to clean up.
Like they did last time, and the time before, ad infinitum

If inflation is under control then that would be no pay increase (if you are pegging wages in line with inflation).

The Bank of England is targeted to maintain inflation at 2%. That means they are tasked to increase the general price level (as they decide to measure it) by 2% every year.

Yes inflation is inflation, regardless of the %, I know that.
It was largely due to fuel prices, everything moves by air, rail or road.
People demanding extraordinary wage rises because their beans and toast have gone up is pi$$ing in the wind, everyone's beans on toast has gone up.
Increasing everyone's wages will just make them go up even more.
I'm not a fan of this government, I'm not a fan of any government but it doesn't take a genius to work out that throwing money all over the place is just going to make things worse for everyone, not just doctors and teachers on 40-180K a year but for those on 15-20K a year which are the vast majority
Inflation is a continuous increase in the general price level. Measuring inflation is a deeply political act since the way you measure it involves making some very big assumptions about what constitutes "normal" spending by setting the so-called basket of goods that constitutes normal spending by either an individual or household.

Without getting into the weeds, the question is always a distributional one: "who suffers and why".

The government has a single response to inflation regardless of cause. It, via the MPC of it's own bank, raises interest rates. That's the only response it ever has.

Raising the bank rate distributes income upwards. It takes £s out of the pockets of mortgage holders, renters etc. and gives it to the debt holders. Taking £s out of people's pockets reduces demand in the economy and causes unemployment. The problem/response is always the same: problem=inflation, response=create unemployment.

Rate rises also increases government spending, for example interest payments on govt debt have increased by over 4% of GDP since 2020; that's more than energy subsidies and benefit increases combined. Nice for the gilt holders, eh?

Labour will obviously get in.
And give everyone everything they ask for.
And borrow hundreds of billions to pay for it.
And leave a huge mess that takes 20 years to clean up.
Like they did last time, and the time before, ad infinitum

Two snacks and bojo are the ones that borrowed billions to fund their mates’ ppe contracts.

We have no choice in this country it's either Conservatives or Labour and they both suck. Covid and the war in Ukraine have caused most of our inflation.. I can't believe some people think that Labour is the answer. I still remember Tony Blair taking us into a war that cost us a fortune and also starting the EU open door policy for immigration ,lol. And look at Birmingham Council that has literally gone bust, due to bad management, and who was that run by, Oh yes,it was Labour. And then what will they do, they will tax the workers to pay for their incompetence. You couldn't write it,could you.

And look at Birmingham Council that has literally gone bust, due to bad management, and who was that run by, Oh yes,it was Labour.
The Conservative govt underfunded local govt authorities, especially Labour led ones. And the main cause of Councils being in financial difficulty is the huge proportion of their budget being spent on social care - a national problem that the party governing the country needs to solve.

We have no choice in this country it's either Conservatives or Labour and they both suck. Covid and the war in Ukraine have caused most of our inflation.. I can't believe some people think that Labour is the answer. I still remember Tony Blair taking us into a war that cost us a fortune and also starting the EU open door policy for immigration ,lol. And look at Birmingham Council that has literally gone bust, due to bad management, and who was that run by, Oh yes,it was Labour. And then what will they do, they will tax the workers to pay for their incompetence. You couldn't write it,could you.
Agree with most of that.

We have a Uniparty in the UK which espouses the neoliberal ideology. Currently there's no alternative.

Pretty much, MP's come out of Uni with their PPE degrees and the 'sorting hat' decides which wing (red or blue) of the Uniparty gets them.

Once they get through "initial selection" they face a variety of tasks/trials and the winners get the best contracts/jobs after the show is over.

The Conservative govt underfunded local govt authorities, especially Labour led ones. And the main cause of Councils being in financial difficulty is the huge proportion of their budget being spent on social care - a national problem that the party governing the country needs to solve.
Our company deal with Birmingham council and if you saw the amount money that has been spent on Birmingham .They have had subcontractors working for subcontractors rather than going direct. I know this because we have made an absolute fortune out of it and there are many companies on their pay roll. I'm sure lots of money goes on social care, for sure, but they could save a fortune if they had people running it that were held to account for their spending. I mean look at the new oracle computer system that will cost them 100 million or more to put right.

Our company deal with Birmingham council and if you saw the amount money that has been spent on Birmingham .They have had subcontractors working for subcontractors rather than going direct. I know this because we have made an absolute fortune out of it and there are many companies on their pay roll. I'm sure lots of money goes on social care, for sure, but they could save a fortune if they had people running it that were held to account for their spending. I mean look at the new oracle computer system that will cost them 100 million or more to put right.
You need smart people running it if you want to run it efficiently. Smart people go where the money is. If councils paid top £££ to attract smart people then the likes of the Sun and the Express would probably stage a protest outside council offices. Same thing with Doctors, I mean if you are smart enough to go do a medicine degree that takes 5 to 7 years to complete, followed by a minimum of 4 years of training - why the f*** would you become a Doctor? There's easier jobs out there that pay more like getting a contract with Birmingham council. :LOL:

There are too many managers managing the managers. Same in the rail industry everything costs a fortune to do. Engineers i speak to all looking forward to Christmas shifts knowing the amount of money they will be making.
A problem with the doctors is none of them are working full time and taking the piss. Taking the week off and taking mega bucks for working weekends, or working a couple of days nhs and then taking a couple of days contracting. If they do the training in the uk they should be made to work in the NHS full time for a minimum of the years. None of this swanning off and working in Australia.

A problem with the doctors is none of them are working full time and taking the piss.
Doctors need to have a cap on how many hours they work for the safety of patients, I mean they are human after all.

If they do the training in the uk they should be made to work in the NHS full time for a minimum of the years. None of this swanning off and working in Australia.
That brings too problems. Number 1, you make a career in medicine even less attractive. Number 2, you will end up with disengaged doctors.

None of this swanning off and working in Australia.

Nothing personal, but didn't you swan off from New Zealand to Leeds?

Doctors need to have a cap on how many hours they work for the safety of patients, I mean they are human after all.

That brings too problems. Number 1, you make a career in medicine even less attractive. Number 2, you will end up with disengaged doctors.

Nothing personal, but didn't you swan off from New Zealand to Leeds?
Nope other way around mate, took a year off the company i was working for and so did the other half. Rented our house out and went to NZ without a job. Took me 3 weeks including traveling to change industries from plant equipment to car dealerships after getting out there and knocking on loads of doors. Spent a year out there so the other half could be near her family and then we came back and resumed our existing jobs.

I saw a story on local news a few months ago, interviewing a paramedic, probably in her late 20's/early 30s, she and her partner are both paramedics and she claimed they where strugling to make ends meet on their £30k/year each salary. Sorry, i know they do an excelent job and deserve good pay, but if a young couple, no kids, can't survive on £60k a year between them then they need financial advice not a pay rise.

I saw a story on local news a few months ago, interviewing a paramedic, probably in her late 20's/early 30s, she and her partner are both paramedics and she claimed they where strugling to make ends meet on their £30k/year each salary. Sorry, i know they do an excelent job and deserve good pay, but if a young couple, no kids, can't survive on £60k a year between them then they need financial advice not a pay rise.
I would guess on a 60k salary they would be clearing £3200-£3500 per month. I don't know what rent is in London and i would imagine its the most expensive but if they are paying the vast majority in rent then they need to move areas and move up north.

I would guess on a 60k salary they would be clearing £3200-£3500 per month. I don't know what rent is in London and i would imagine its the most expensive but if they are paying the vast majority in rent then they need to move areas and move up north.
But then you would have excess paramedics in the North and none in the South. Are you trying to have your own personal ambulance on standby in case you need it after a Leeds match? :ROFLMAO:

Something must be wrong though. If £30k is a good wage for a paramedic, then there should be an excess of them, not a shortage lol.

After what we have witnessed these last 13 years from this shower of dirty conniving fiddlers and corruption on a grand scale, i'm amazed there are members on this forum who back them up.
The highest tax burden in 70 years, uncaring arseholes at the top who wished pensioners like me to just die, the highest goverment debt in a genaration, yes let's put them back in.
I wouldn't suggest to anyone to vote labour, but to support this shower is beyond me.

Problem now is that everything has now become polarised. There's no middle ground.

In my day kids would pretend that they were a cat or a dog or even a spaceship.

Just before the summer, one of the anti-woke parents at nursery refused to let their kids get his face painted as they were worried that he might identify as a clown :ROFLMAO:

Back