Usb drive won't format?

vass

usb 16gig every time i put it in computer it saying insert disc will not format think i set it as a driver can anyone help please:beg:

A little more information would certainly assist us in helping. What kind of computer are we talking about?

Are you referring to a flashdrive?

Are you trying to format it?

Etc.....

edit: renamed thread title to something a little more descriptive :)

Last edited:
A little more information would certainly assist us in helping. What kind of computer are we talking about?

Are you referring to a flashdrive?

Are you trying to format it?

Etc.....

As 7th stated, please give as much info as possible, i think i know what you mean, but need to be sure before we can go any further mate...(y)

sorry it is saying its a usbest usb 2flash storage usbdevice yes trying to format it when i try to computer cannot open it is i have a lap top i have tryed on other pc s it is the same

i presume you are running xp?
Open a command window by going to Start, then Run and typing in CMD.
Now type in the following command at the prompt: format /FS:FAT32 E:.............( i am presuming E will be the external HD,or possibly f )
it should look something like this

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/formatexternalharddrivefat32.png

Windows will go ahead and begin formatting the drive in FAT32!
let the programme run until it is finished, shouldn`t take too long.
let us know how you get on..(y)

sorry 8m when i try to type cmd in start & run windows explorer pops up & shuts down is the any other way in

go to start, see where the little box is under all programmes? type "run" in here, this will bring up a little "run"icon, click this,then type in CMD,a window will pop up with a black background,type in what i posted above after the blinking cursor and you should be good to go.

don`t give up so easily mate, there are people on here who know more than i do, when they see the thread they will help

Try this Vass: insert the device, go to Computer then right click the device letter. Select properties then select Check volume for errors and let it run it's course, then see if it will format.

You may want to try this:

1. Type devicemgmt.msc in Vista Start menu or in Run dialog box.

2. Expand Disk drives, right click on your USB stick which you want to format in NTFS
file system and select Properties.

3. Under the Polices tab, select Optimize for performance option. Click OK and go back to My Computer.

4. Right click on your USB drive; select Format.

5. Select NTFS (yes, it's available now) from the drop down menu.

6. Click Apply to format your drive in NTFS file format.

7. You are done.

Any update on your progress Vass?

You have us all on the edge of our proverbial seats with curiosity as to how you fared. ;)

Back