GrogBuild Using 2 feeds on zgemmah2.s - what is the tuner config-Help?

bmitie

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
I set up a zgemma h.2s for a friend last Thursday but now there is no signal on lnb 1 , ie above the tuner b slot., which I call Tuner B. I had tuner B set as equal to Tuner A and got a signal and did 2 recordings etc etc. I rang them now and got them to try tuner A simple and tuner B as simple, using signal finder I got a lock on Tuner A and then when flIcking to tuner B a signal would appear and then disappear. I tried the equal to setting again and same result.

This has not happened to me before so what could they have done to mess it up and is there a special configuration that I am noT aware of?? I got them to plug in sat cable from Lnb in TUNER b to an old sky box and signal was fine.

Is it possible tuner B has bit the dust? Box has not been used ie its mint but bought June 2017.

bmitie

Equal to was designed for complex setups. Still works for simple setups too.

If the tuner configuration for each tuner matches the hardware attached to each tuner, it is correct. No point wasting your time on it.

Check with different PSU. It could also be a faulty LNB.

People normally check for lock on a couple of frequencies and declare they have no signal issue. An Enigma2 scan should find 900+ channels if everything is fine.

if the signal is coming and going it could be the cable, try putting the cable that is plugged into tuner A into Tuner B and visa versa, ie swap the cables over and if tuner B is ok and Tuner A is having issues then probably cabling issue, could just be loose f-connector

Thanks both, one of them is visiting tomorrow and are bringing box back. They are 90 miles from me. I'll do a few checks and report back. I wanted to set up a loop through from B but ran out of time, I'll try that as well. Its a great image and box worked great when with me.

Why would you use loop through if you have two signal wires. How would you hook up the signal wires?

Personally I would not use equal to. You lose control. Set each tuner individually.

Test both tuners one at a time, i.e set the other one as not configured/disabled. Of it is fine at your place, issue is at theirs. Get them to bring PSU too.

Why would you use loop through if you have two signal wires. How would you hook up the signal wires?

Personally I would not use equal to. You lose control. Set each tuner individually. Test both tuners one at a time, i.e set the other one as not configured/disabled.
Just saying they may have connected it to loop by mistake abu

I agree its easy to make an error when people are around but no I had it wired correctly. I'll have a good play at the w/e, no footie so time on my hands. Thanks for good ideas for checking as well.

@moshibeth
My post was in response to the OP who said he wanted to set up loop through. You have two signal wires from the dish. They both go to hopefully the right connections on the receiver. See other thread for picture. Where would the loop out wire go to?

You are right, it is possible an error was made with the wiring and issue only surfaces when a second tuner is required. People assume a second tuner is needed for more than one recording, this is not always the case. Best to put some gaffer tape on the loop out port to avoid errors.

You use loop through to another receiver ie like an old sky box in case the zgemma goes tits up.

And then you are locked onto the quadrant that the first receiver is on. Best to unplug it and connect directly.

Can we establish if the signal wires to the satellite receiver in question are direct from the LNB? i.e no swithces/splitters/combiners/junctiions or any other apparatus in the middle.

Abu, cables are coming direct from a sky dish, 2 feeds using a quad lnb. The only thing I did not do was swop the cables round as grog suggested but they are elderly and it was tricky enough getting them to unscrew f connectors and screw the faulty cable onto to old sky sd box so I could check there was a signal.

As I said I will get box later today/tonight and set it up myself. I just hope its ok as I have read about one tuner going wonky.

If the cable going into the old sky box is the same cable that was in the zgemma and that works the sky box then I should assume the lnb is ok as the other lead works perfect in the zgemma but I appreciate all bits of info. The thing is I had it working before I left and what I cant figure what button could they have pressed to muck it up! Could they have screwed the software? I wont get hands on box until late but its defenitely playing on my mind. That image is so good I cant fathom how anyone could muck it up. I am intrigued.

Why do you think it is tuner configuration? You set it and that's it.

From my experience, there are LNB faults which occur when two of the ports are used simultaneously. One port on its own is fine.

There is the possibility of tuner fault, you can rule that out when you get the box. I hope you don't use the equal to option.

Also, if tuner configuration was wrong, it wouldn't try to use the tuner.

An update, got box back both tuners a and b working and I have loop out working as I type. The problem is with recording, I'll do a separate thread as its bambozzling me.

Back