Virmin V6 box

Not sure about a V6 virgin box, but I know that the hdd in a tivo box cannot be re used as they are tied to that box, I have never tried myself , but a few friends did. a V6 box may be different though. I do know that the Tivos have a 500gb seagate hdd, but I have been told they wont work in anything else, I think I will put it to the test during the week as I have a couple of them in the loft somewhere, really cant see any reason why they would not work.

Last edited:
2 of my nephews work for VM, one of them told me they dont take them back anymore, they used to send you out a box to put the old box in. and then drop it off at one of their pick up points, but no longer, I dont think they can use them for anything now.

have used a sky hard drive for years after taking it out of an old reciever, needed a complete wipe on something called a low level disc format tool which I downloaded from somewhere on line, its still working as a photo back up storage device.

Did you pay vm for multiroom?
You can't buy a v6 box from elsewhere and use it in your house, I'm fairly sure your paid sub is locked to that v6

V6 box in the living room, and a V6 box in the bedroom

Hmm...reading up, seems boxes are account specific,

Did you pay vm for multiroom?
You can't buy a v6 box from elsewhere and use it in your house, I'm fairly sure your paid sub is locked to that v6

No i dont pay for multiroom, not really bothered, just wondered really.

Customers get a second Virgin TV V6 box for free. Those with the Full House, Mix and Player bundles can get an additional V6 box for £49.95 plus a £20 activation fee, plus a £7.50 a month subscription.

Not sure about a V6 virgin box, but I know that the hdd in a tivo box cannot be re used as they are tied to that box, I have never tried myself , but a few friends did. a V6 box may be different though. I do know that the Tivos have a 500gb seagate hdd, but I have been told they wont work in anything else, I think I will put it to the test during the week as I have a couple of them in the loft somewhere, really cant see any reason why they would not work.

Hi Pal,
500gb drives from the old VM boxes can be used. I have 4 of them in a home network storage box. Just need to format them. You cannot read the contents of the drive direct from the VM box but they are standard drives and a bargain at a £10 each

I removed 2 from 2 tivo boxes on monday as my oldest son told me that he can re format them, he has the hdd docking station and the software on his computer, he says the same as you, that they can be re used, so I will wait and see how he gets on.

Back