VM going cardless

What a good thread, glad I spotted this.

A good friend of mine who is a VM engineer told me that they are about to implement Icam +
as soon as Sky have implemented their changes so all cable cards sharing is Private Frazered !!!

I know some boxes have been cardless for nearly a year.

BUT....

The engineer who came out yesterday advised any service visits to look at problems with CATV equipment they have been told to swap any old boxes with TiVo boxes.

And any old card boxes will soon show an annoying message stating ...."your box needs upgrading due to expiring cards" asking them to call in for a free TiVo upgrade which will be sent in the post.

Which is what my VHD said hence why I called them.

NOT seen that posted anywhere. Or should I still shhh and keep it quiet

Edit: forgot to mention. The engineer also told me they have stopped issuing smartcards to the engineers when replenishing their van stock.

Last edited:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Upgrade-message/td-p/3411902

I am new so if I can't post external links please delete it for me and I apologise.

The link above just confirms the message I got on my VHD. So it's not only me.

The link if for SA V+ boxes but like I said mine was a VHD. TV is unwatchable with this message so I had to call in and I have a new CARDLESS TiVo

Just checked the back of my TiVo which is one of the early models and mines has a card in it....

Just checked the back of my TiVo which is one of the early models and mines has a card in it....

My TiVo box also has a card in it. We've had it for a few years though. We even still have VM's size M TV package [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its possible that they will be next in line, V+ boxes first then move on to the older TiVo boxes. Or it could be as easy as a new card for the older TiVo boxes, who knows lol
Pretty sure if new cards are fired out it might be the start of something, just sit back and enjoy while we can...

If you remove the card from the tivo the channels will still work. The cards where there/needed before they switched on the cardless method.
as for the v+ getting swapped out .I think that has already started they swapping out the old 8310 boxes.
I would really start to worry when you see them swapping out the cisco 45-85 Hd models.

My TiVo box also has a card in it. We've had it for a few years though. We even still have VM's size M TV package [emoji1360]

All the older TiVo boxes are now cardless, this was done remotely via a software update.

To test this remove the card and your TiVo will continue to work normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you remove the card from the tivo the channels will still work. The cards where there/needed before they switched on the cardless method.
as for the v+ getting swapped out .I think that has already started they swapping out the old 8310 boxes.
I would really start to worry when you see them swapping out the cisco 45-85 Hd models.

Start to worry.

Mine was a VHD they swapped out

Start to worry.

Mine was a VHD they swapped out

Can't see why they swapped your 45-85 cisco out.
as far as i'm aware you must be the only one in the uk that has gotten that message on there tv using that model.As i say it is old news that they are swapping out the 8310.As for any other model there has been nothing reported about it from either any vm engineers or vm help page. Plus i would think they would start replacing the old sammy 2100,2110,pace boxes first.

Can't see why they swapped your 45-85 cisco out.
as far as i'm aware you must be the only one in the uk that has gotten that message on there tv using that model.As i say it is old news that they are swapping out the 8310.As for any other model there has been nothing reported about it from either any vm engineers or vm help page. Plus i would think they would start replacing the old sammy 2100,2110,pace boxes first.

The engineer told me any service calls they visit which they visited for CATV faults then they have to replace any carded boxes with TiVo or V6.

I assume it doesn't matter what box is present at the property.

Back