vpn router setup help please.

GL.iNet routers are very easy to set up with openvpn but the speeds are terrible as they don’t have good processing power to run openvpn I found.. will get you out of a bind but not good full time..I have 75mbps but got maybe 4-5mbps with openvpn no matter the server on GL.iNet creda..so set up a second hand tp-link archer C7 using L2TP and now get 65mbps..big difference..you can use WireGuard on them which is much faster.

GL.iNet routers are very easy to set up with openvpn but the speeds are terrible as they don’t have good processing power to run openvpn I found.. will get you out of a bind but not good full time..I have 75mbps but got maybe 4-5mbps with openvpn no matter the server on GL.iNet creda..so set up a second hand tp-link archer C7 using L2TP and now get 65mbps..big difference..you can use WireGuard on them which is much faster.
Very impressive with just a 720mhz cpu and 128mb ram on the C7, i carnt match that on a Nighthawk r7000

But i suspect been L2TP data in and out is unencrypted so that might be why you have high speeds.

Last edited:
Very impressive with just a 720mhz cpu and 128mb ram on the C7, i carnt match that on a Nighthawk r7000

But i suspect been L2TP data in and out is unencrypted so that might be why you have high speeds.
Only got 4-5mbps

Hi

just need some advice/info please.

is the Linksys WRT3200ACM router with ExpressVPN as a second router for connecting tv only a good router to use? Also the current issues with duplex app .. is this app issue or related to not using VPN

thanks

Back