Vpn router

dargan

can anyone please help, I need a vpn router capable of running a smart tv and mag box, if anyone knows what model i should buy, thanks.

Asus ac68u or ac68, enough power and cheaper than others also run merlin firmware on it, best purchase of the last 12mths

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Not really I watched a YouTube video set aside a full day to do it and it took about 10min then I went on my vpn providers website and it told me all the settings to change then working!

If you get the LibertyShield router it's set up with your vpn sub around £100 (including router) with your X12 Months sub added or pay Monthly,from taking delivery to connection to register it at Libertyshield etc 20mins in my case, absolutely Brill.

The ASUS routers GUI is pretty decent and they have OpenVPN built in to them so look at any of the Asus routers. The RT-AC51U for example which you can pick up for under 40 quid.
Once you have your router get your VPN's config file and upload one of there servers to the router, put in your details and make DNS changes and your good to go.

I had a play with VPNs on my ASUS A66 router running Merlin. Instally the VPN was usually just a case of downloading an ovp file and clicking install on the openvpn page of the router accessed via 192.168.1.1

BUT speed was dire. I spent ages looking into it and came to the conclusion I needed a far far faster processor in the router like 1.7ghz /1.8ghz or better. I then researched the faster routers and they all seemed to come with their own problems. I put teh project on the back burner.

My reading suggested the AC68 should be good for 50mbs (some come with a 1.2ghz processor others 1.0ghz) but I have seen several threads where people have struggled to get half that. Tweaking the VPN settings looks to improve matters.

My suggestion would be to do some google searches on router open vpn speeds or "router make and model" open VPN speeds or similar before you take the plunge

The ASUS routers GUI is pretty decent and they have OpenVPN built in to them so look at any of the Asus routers. The RT-AC51U for example which you can pick up for under 40 quid.
Once you have your router get your VPN's config file and upload one of there servers to the router, put in your details and make DNS changes and your good to go.
Hi thank you, my iptv supplier recommends PIA vpn which is quite cheap so I would like to get a router for that, the one you advised is very good value, would it do the job ok ?

Thats the router I have at the moment and does the job for me. If i have a load of devices connected it can struggle but this is down to the CPU encrypting and decrypting so much data which slows things down.
Routers tend not to have powerful CPUs, thus encrypting and decrypting OpenVPN traffic is a real challenge for them. For that reason the speed can drop by a large amount.

The downside to OpenVPN is that in its current architecture, it is not scalable. It runs as a monolithic process and cannot run multi-threaded.

This means that if you have a beefy processor with 8 cores and each of the core has 8 threads, OpenVPN will use only a single thread in one of the available cores.

Thats the router I have at the moment and does the job for me. If i have a load of devices connected it can struggle but this is down to the CPU encrypting and decrypting so much data which slows things down.
Routers tend not to have powerful CPUs, thus encrypting and decrypting OpenVPN traffic is a real challenge for them. For that reason the speed can drop by a large amount.

The downside to OpenVPN is that in its current architecture, it is not scalable. It runs as a monolithic process and cannot run multi-threaded.

This means that if you have a beefy processor with 8 cores and each of the core has 8 threads, OpenVPN will use only a single thread in one of the available cores.
Thanks it sounds like it works just fine I only want it for the smart tv thank you

If you get the LibertyShield router it's set up with your vpn sub around £100 (including router) with your X12 Months sub added or pay Monthly,from taking delivery to connection to register it at Libertyshield etc 20mins in my case, absolutely Brill.
The only issue is your getting someone else to setup your router and possibly backdooring your network for future use by them.

The most important kit, the gateway to your network setup by someone else

I had a play with VPNs on my ASUS A66 router running Merlin. Instally the VPN was usually just a case of downloading an ovp file and clicking install on the openvpn page of the router accessed via 192.168.1.1

BUT speed was dire. I spent ages looking into it and came to the conclusion I needed a far far faster processor in the router like 1.7ghz /1.8ghz or better. I then researched the faster routers and they all seemed to come with their own problems. I put teh project on the back burner.

My reading suggested the AC68 should be good for 50mbs (some come with a 1.2ghz processor others 1.0ghz) but I have seen several threads where people have struggled to get half that. Tweaking the VPN settings looks to improve matters.

My suggestion would be to do some google searches on router open vpn speeds or "router make and model" open VPN speeds or similar before you take the plunge
The different processors are for different revisions of the unit, Google will tell you which one to look out for.

As for the speed, I got 78mb bb and the vpn pulls me down to 50mb but not all equipment goes through it, with merlin you can have selective routing so you decide what goes through vpn and everything else does.

My main PC does not go through the vpn but I have the vpn software on the PC if I need to switch it on

Don'tmind me saying that's pushing it a bit don't you think? what have they got to gain from that.
The Same phishing emails have got to gain?

Yes it is pushing it but the option is there.

Someone fits you a new front door and gives you two of the three new keys.

For VPN you'll maybe able to convert an old router without too many issues to DDWRT, the best thing about DDWRT is you can do rule based VPN, so only devices you want going via the VPN will do so.

I've currently got an R7000 with Tomato running VyperVPNs software and it was really easy to setup and works per device.

trick/Paul
I take on board theirs Scammers out their-but the info I gave VPN router server I've
mentioned in my previous replys in this section, I did my home work on them
+ Customer feedback across the web + Trust pilot going back a few years
etc. So because they can supply you with a fully configured VPN router and they
Put/add their own VPN Subscription service on i.e plug & connect they most be/or could be bent-
because their is a back door to exploit, Come on give me some credit?
In an ideal world we can all with a bit of due diligence check out stuff before you commit and always check out but as everyone knows nothing is perfect etc how long is a piece of string.
Sumjoddy

Last edited:
The main thing that concerns me regarding Liberty Shield, is there is very little information regarding the vpn protocol they employ, especially given they appear to provide a "you can have any colour, as long as it is black" kind of service. Digging a little bit deeper, it seems (from their installation guide for dd-wrt routers) that they employ pptp, which only quality is quick because it is simple, but is probably the least secure / most vulnerable vpn protocol, and therefore not recommended. See e.g. https://www.ivpn.net/pptp-vs-l2tp-vs-openvpn

Another issue that concerns me regarding Liberty Shield, is how come there is no detailed info on the one and only preconfigured router they sell? Is it user configurable, and for what other (competing) vpn providers, or services if and when I feel like it? Indeed what sort of performance can I expect from that router running OpenVpn?

One of the reasons the above questions are relevant, is that Liberty Shield's vpn service is not particularly price competitive (ok I admit I am tight...). The only decent price they offer currently is the £35 annual sub based on half price for the 1st year. Their marketing strategy is therefore just like Sly/Virmin, who will happily sell you, as a new customer, their entertainment package at steep discount for the first year, but will hit you with the full price the year after unless you leave, or threaten to leave - if you leave Liberty Shield vpn, does the shiny preconfigured router you have bought from them turn into a paperweight/doorstop?

To my mind one must be able to trust one's vpn provider - because unless you are minded to put additional security protocol in place, they will/can know everything you are trying to keep private. That to me means one must also be able to move freely between competitive vpn providers. The supplier of my router assures OpenVpn compatibility and support for 20 major vpn services. Liberty Shield is not one of them.

Having said all that, I do get the value of preconfigured vpn router/services for technophobes, or for those who are happy to pay a premium for not having to mess with installation in general. However, it is worth bearing in mind, that depending on the choice of router/service, installation does vary from a simple 1 minute job on a graphical user interface, to picking/flashing firmware after extensive investigation etc.

Cheers!

Back