Vpn with virmin hub 3 poor

The only thing with a VPN was my sheild in my tests. If i turn off the VPN on sheild i get 215 meg. I have heard good reports about mesh wifi plugs.

Wi-Fi ain't great on Wi-Fi only devices but get decent enough speeds. Can't beat wired though.

Doubt will bother with homeplugs, mesh, von router etc.

ok quick update ,i got a nord vpn account ,and changed my asus ac56u router for a asus RT-AC86U ,iam now getting great speeds between 75-90 meg ,treid connecting diffrent servers and all good speeds ,i put nord vpn on the asus ac56u and same only getting about 20 meg ,so i believe to get good speed ,invest in a good router ,if going down that route ,i using router as saves me putting vpn on every thing i got in the house ,even treid a test on my h9 twin and that tested 85 meg ,

ok quick update ,i got a nord vpn account ,and changed my asus ac56u router for a asus RT-AC86U ,iam now getting great speeds between 75-90 meg ,treid connecting diffrent servers and all good speeds ,i put nord vpn on the asus ac56u and same only getting about 20 meg ,so i believe to get good speed ,invest in a good router ,if going down that route ,i using router as saves me putting vpn on every thing i got in the house ,even treid a test on my h9 twin and that tested 85 meg ,
Hi
what setting you using on your router to achieve above speed?
I have Asus RT-AC88U and RT-AC68U router. I tried nordvpn and surf shark vpn. The best VPN download speed i can get is 30mg/s
my isp broadband is 100mg.
I'm cancelling nordvpn and keep surfshark it's cheaper and better than nordvpn

Last edited:
Virmin don't restrict any VPN acces, it is purely your device and the provider your choosing

I have 3 VPN routers plugged into my virmin and I get more or less the same 100mb , a VPN which encrypts traffic will obviously take a bit of speed, anywhere around 20/25 I'd about your maximum unless your spend £200 on a real router.

It's not.a VM issue

Virmin don't restrict any VPN acces, it is purely your device and the provider your choosing

I have 3 VPN routers plugged into my virmin and I get more or less the same 100mb , a VPN which encrypts traffic will obviously take a bit of speed, anywhere around 20/25 I'd about your maximum unless your spend £200 on a real router.

It's not.a VM issue
ASUS RT-AC88U is £200 Router

A year or two ago I had an asus ac68u which only gave me 20-30 meg via pia vpn. I thought it was my config or the server I was connecting to but it was the router, it just wasn't powerful enough to handle the full speed over a vpn.

I then bought an asus 86u about a year ago and I ran the same config and I got (near enough) my full speed. I get 110 meg without a vpn and between 90-95 meg with the vpn. Currently got two vpn servers and two vpn clients running on that router and everything works really well. Even on WiFi I get 110 meg on most devices. I've got the virmin hub 3 in modem mode.

Got to be your VPN provider then ain't it.

You won't find any public VPN services which give more than 20/30mb. It's not practical for them, you would have to pay as much as TV sub for that kind of speed

Just got my hands on some wifi mesh plugs. they were not cheap. However, i am now getting pretty much the same speeds on my wifi network as the wired network. wired network 215 meg. wireless 195 meg

Just got my hands on some wifi mesh plugs. they were not cheap. However, i am now getting pretty much the same speeds on my wifi network as the wired network. wired network 215 meg. wireless 195 meg
What mesh did you go for. Was looking at a mesh system for better WiFi in the attic

It depends which version you get i think the ones i got were upto 350 meg on either channel. My brother has the google ones they are very good aswell. The kids consoles and and my iptv are all wired so no need for any faster. The pro ones i think can do upto 550 meg

Last edited:
Back