Weird EPG issue

Tony1044

Hi all,

With the success of my Mut@nt HD51, I decided it was time to finally ditch off Sky. Woohoo!

I got IPTV working on it really well.

I then decided I needed to replace the Sky box in the bedroom, but alas, the HD51 appears to no longer be available, so I bought an Octagon SF8008 dual satellite box.

I popped on Wooshbuild as per my HD51 and everything went fine.

I configured IPTV and whether I use the Jedi EPG plugin or the E2M3UBouquet python script I get some weirdness on the IPTV EPG in that where there are empty channels in the EPG, where on the HD51, I can still move the cursor up and down past them, or even select them (often something is there, just no EPG data), the SF8008 will stop responding to the cursor buttons on the remote!

I have to use the < > buttons to move away from the entire bouquet.

I'm still a newbie to all of this but I couldn't find anything via the search here.

The firmware/drivers versions are:

Software
System OE:OE-Alliance 4.3
Firmware version:OpenATV 6.3.0 (2019-08-24)
Kernel / Drivers:4.4.35 / 20190726

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thank you!

what ur review of the octo compared to the hd51?

Not even close to being in the same league.

Everything is much slower, and feels laggier by comparison and the actual picture is far from smooth...it is very much like a low refresh rate is to blame and it's just enough to notice.

I'm actually going to have to send it back to be repaired as it's developed the following issues:

Cannot power an external HDD any more via either of the USB ports (edit to note - the two drives I chose both work in the two caddies I tested on a laptop, so not the drives and not the caddies - they simply don't get enough juice from the USB ports to power them...if you listen carefully you can hear them try to spin but fail).
Some channels simply won't display anymore (I've double-checked the connections, and even if I swap the feed calbes, the issue remains so I suspect a faulty receiver)
Other channels will start ok then suddenly it is like the old days of analogue Sky when you tried to watch an encrypted channel without the decryption - just blurred blocks and lines

Honestly I would not recommend one, is my honest opinion.

Not even close to being in the same league.

Everything is much slower, and feels laggier by comparison and the actual picture is far from smooth...it is very much like a low refresh rate is to blame and it's just enough to notice.

I'm actually going to have to send it back to be repaired as it's developed the following issues:

Cannot power an external HDD any more via either of the USB ports (edit to note - the two drives I chose both work in the two caddies I tested on a laptop, so not the drives and not the caddies - they simply don't get enough juice from the USB ports to power them...if you listen carefully you can hear them try to spin but fail).
Some channels simply won't display anymore (I've double-checked the connections, and even if I swap the feed calbes, the issue remains so I suspect a faulty receiver)
Other channels will start ok then suddenly it is like the old days of analogue Sky when you tried to watch an encrypted channel without the decryption - just blurred blocks and lines

Honestly I would not recommend one, is my honest opinion.
I think the zgemma H7s would be a better option and cheaper than the hd51 ! I replaced a HD 2400 with one !!

issue i have with the zgemma boxes are the cheap remotes which u need to point directly at the box :(

The HD51 may not have been the cheapest box, but I do believe that you got what you paid for in terms of both performance and build quality.

issue i have with the zgemma boxes are the cheap remotes which u need to point directly at the box :(
Agree with that! But some people use the magic eye set up for a couple of quid from fleabay.
I don't as I have a straight line from sofa!!

The HD51 may not have been the cheapest box, but I do believe that you got what you paid for in terms of both performance and build quality.
100% true
my zgemma doesnt come close to the hd51

just been looking at the VU+ Ultimo, looks promising

Back