Which mag box?

champion9

Hi all,

Looking to move away from my zgemma 2s box now and get a mag box for IPTV.

There is a mag250, a mag254 and mag256. Anyone know what the difference is and which one would be gd value for my needs. I don't need a WiFi box as I have an Ethernet connection available.

Also just to be 100% clear, the mag box would show the channels in groups and have EPG? What I really need is a box which is very easy to use for my parents who are both in their 60s and not very gd with technology. They were fine with the zgemma boxes as they could remember their fave channel numbers to enter.

The difference between the 250/254 and that of the 256 is that the latter has built in wifi. No need to buy a little wifi dongle. Plus, it has a - slightly - quicker speed than its two predecessors. As you will be using an ethernet connection, this will not apply to you. However, the good thing about the 256 is that you can move it anywhere in your house without the need of the ethernet. The 254 is slightly cheaper and performs just as well as the 256.

The Mag box places all your channels into simple categories. Not quite like Sly in their appearance (especially if your parents are used to the Sly interface) but the Mag box is so easy to use and will certainly not be complicated for your parents. I recommended the Mag 256 for my 60+ year old parents and they now own two!

As for a workable EPG, that really depends on the IPTV provider you choose. In all fairness, most now offer a reliable EPG service. Some even offer a catch up service. I would recommend requesting a few trials first.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thanks for your help! This is exactly the help I was looking for. I will go for the 254 as it does seem cheaper than the 256.

Just thought of another question, are all the boxes on eBay genuine boxes? Does it matter if its not?

I would like to say that all Mag boxes are genuine and no clones exist but unfortunately they do. Just check on Informir's website who deal with mag boxes. Look for a genuine box as clones tend to start well but then break after a few months. Some clones don't perform well either due to cheaper parts being used.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Got mag 256 for my parents, both over 60. Its slightly more expensive than 254 but has better processor and more RAM. Very easy to use, responsive remote, small and portable. Hard to beat in my opinion for iptv.

I have been using a Mag 250 for about a year and have just set up a 254 for a friend. To make it clear to you, the difference between the Mag boxes is speed when navigating around the menus, and nothing more (as far as I am aware). I haven't noticed much difference personally, although yes, it is more responsive / faster when shifting up and down that channels, and selecting a channel.

Out of interest, why are you moving away from the Zgemma? I ask because I am thinking for moving away from my 250 and getting a Zgemma.

My advice would be to go for the 256 as the 254 has a firmware problem at the moment where some channels show subtitles there is a work around by rolling back the firmware or using the app button on the remote but if you want a mag that works straight out of the box go for the 256 and the £10-£15 more you pay is well worth it as the 256 is a quicker box. The 256 can be bought with or without wifi built in so without is the cheaper option without is basic 256 with wifi is 256 w1. I have set up quite few of both 256 and 254 for various people including some in their late 70s so can confirm they are very user friendly for families and the elderly all set out in groups (sports entertainment etc) plus easy navigation to catch-up tv, video club, radio and web browser all but browser being supplier dependent plus very easy and clear to use now and next plus 24hr epg.

Hi all,

Looking to move away from my zgemma 2s box now and get a mag box for IPTV.

There is a mag250, a mag254 and mag256. Anyone know what the difference is and which one would be gd value for my needs. I don't need a WiFi box as I have an Ethernet connection available.

Also just to be 100% clear, the mag box would show the channels in groups and have EPG? What I really need is a box which is very easy to use for my parents who are both in their 60s and not very gd with technology. They were fine with the zgemma boxes as they could remember their fave channel numbers to enter.
Magbox 256 is your best option by a mile,Stay away from the ebay crap clones and get a genuine box,There is a massive difference in the guts of the box,I get mine from a well known provider and 1000% genuine,Good sub and bingo and so easy and user friendly to use,Be glad to help if you get stuck

Go on the makers website Infomir, look for their recommended resellers. You know you ain't getting a cloned. Also you will find them cheaper than eBay/Amazon . Got the 256, there are 3 types of 256
1. 256 no built in wifi
2. 256 W1 with built in wifi
3. 256 W2 built in wifi, but wifi is twice as fast as the W1 box

That's fair, I've never heard any one say a bad word about them. My friend bought a box off eBay which turned out to be a clone. Was told then to go to the makers of the box and they recommend their own resellers and as I've said I've always found them a few £££ cheaper. I am like you once I get a trusted seller I stick to them because you know what your getting

Everything for sale on fleabay is either fake, clone, stolen or part of a scam.
It's definitely not the place to purchase anything electrical what so ever.

Good advice is to follow the manufacturers recommended sellers or the well known site everyone seems to purchase there satellite and cable receivers from.

Agreed stick to a supplier you have dealt with before.

The speed of a 256 is well worth the extra money for me. ;-)

Thanks for all the advice! appreciate it! I was just wondering is there any way to find out if any new mag boxes are coming out soon...would hate to buy the box to find out a few weeks later a new one has come out.

Back