Which Ubiquiti Should I Get?

Erinville

I have a friend who needs to improve his WiFi signal from the modem.
The modem is in a shop downstairs and is connected to the till, etc...
So it can't be moved.
The shop modem has a speed of 70mb.
My friend is only getting 9 mb from that modem upstairs wirelessly.
A friend told him that there is a system called Ubiquity which wil give him the same speed as the shop.
Is it easy to set up one of these wirelessly and could someone point me in the right direction with a link please as to what is best suited for him?

I’d second the home plugs provided it’s the same electrical circuit, you can get a set that also provides wifi. I’ve got some set up at home providing WiFi in my shed at the end of the garden about 20m from the house.

I actually installed a Netgear WiFi Extender for him.
Model: EX2700.
Would the home plugs produce a better speed?
If so, what home plugs would you suggest?

The problem with Wifi extenders is that they instantly halve the throughput and double the response time due to having to send and receive from the same device.

I wouldn't rule out homeplugs if it's on it's own Consumer Unit as mine worked flawlessly running through 2.

Ubiquiti is great kit but I usually find if you go down that route then it's best to fully commit as their system is designed to be used solely and sometimes doesn't play well with other kit. Just installed a complete Ubiquiti system in a manor house refurb. POE switches and in-wall access points. Just to buy an access point is overkill for most home uses, a lot more consumer friendly kit at a better price point.

Back