Wi-Fi Extender Issues

Openboxcy

Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of help if possible from people in the know.

Basically my broadband is with Vermin, and I've been with them for a few years now. I used to have my router on the floor under a table, this has recently been placed behind my TV after getting a media wall, this tidys up all my cabling which is great.

My issue is that now when I try to use my Wi-Fi connection in my office in my back garden (about 20m from router) my connection keeps dropping and is slower than before. I use a Cisco extender which is plugged in next to the router in the house, connected via ethernet cable. In the office I just have the Cisco extender plugged in. The media wall frame is metal, and places my router very slightly closer to my fishtank.

I've downloaded the Wi-Fi Analyzer app and this shows my signal from the router as -47dBm (I'm led to believe that -30dBm is the best you can get). I've changed wireless channels to try and get a stronger reading, but all seem to be around -47dBm.

Is there anything I can do to try and sort this without taking the router out of the media wall? I'm liking not having a mess of cables on view.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I personally use powerline adapters as they use the electricity of your house as internet conductor.
Minimum should be 1000mbps ant they o KY cost less than £30.
They come by pair as you put the first one connected to your router and second one on your device

Virgin routers are notoriously crap. Lots of people replace them with a third party router.

Thanks Ryanm56. I've just looked at a TP Link set up, looks good and is similar to what I have I think. My question is that my work laptop etc don't have ethernet ports, so I think this would work similar to what I have at the moment? I could be wrong?

On your laptop you can buy an ethernet usb adaptor
Just put it on usb slot of your laptop and connect it there

Ok, been having a look at the extenders and the router in the replies, thanks. If I'm honest I don't really want to spend over £100 on kit and it either not work or not improve anything. I also think it's pretty poor I need to consider a new router when VM supplied what should be a decent enough unit, but obviously isn't. Do you think I really need a new router and extenders, or would one of these sort my problems?

I found an article for the extenders I have and use. Cisco unveils Linksys HomePlug AV Powerline solutions, converts outlets into network connection points | Engadget

This is dated 2012 so they are a fair age. Appreciate everyone's help.

I personally use the tenda AV 1000
And works perfectly up to third floor
(Tenda PH3 AV1000 Gigabit Powerline CCTV Gaming HD TV Adapter 1000Mpbs)
Around £20 on eBay

IMG_20220113_183058.jpg

I also think it's pretty poor I need to consider a new router when VM supplied what should be a decent enough unit, but obviously isn't. Do you think I really need a new router and extenders, or would one of these sort my problems?
It worked fine before you installed a metal partition in front of it, so I don't think the unit is at fault.

It worked fine before you installed a metal partition in front of it, so I don't think the unit is at fault.
It did suffer some Wi-Fi drop outs, but yeah was better and more stable previously. I'd just rather if possible keep everything in the media wall to keep everything tidy. But if need be I'll need to look at going back to how I had it.

It did suffer some Wi-Fi drop outs, but yeah was better and more stable previously. I'd just rather if possible keep everything in the media wall to keep everything tidy. But if need be I'll need to look at going back to how I had it.
Well if you don't want to spend money on the solutions offered above, this might be your only option.
If it were me I would have the router/ modem nearer to the office, even if that means moving the office

Well if you don't want to spend money on the solutions offered above, this might be your only option.
If it were me I would have the router/ modem nearer to the office, even if that means moving the office
That's what I'm saying, I wonder if just getting a router or just getting new extenders would sort it, not both? I can't move the office unfortunately, it's a wooden building in the garden.

That's what I'm saying, I wonder if just getting a router or just getting new extenders would sort it, not both? I can't move the office unfortunately, it's a wooden building in the garden.
Thise Cisco extenders you are using now aren't going to be any different to anything you buy to replace them.
As an experiment, if you power off the extender in the office, is there any WiFi connection at all?
I'm thinking the power outlets in the garden may be on a different circuit to the house sockets

Thise Cisco extenders you are using now aren't going to be any different to anything you buy to replace them.
As an experiment, if you power off the extender in the office, is there any WiFi connection at all?
I'm thinking the power outlets in the garden may be on a different circuit to the house sockets
Yeah, that was my thinking, possibly use them with a new router, just wonder if it would all work with the new router in the media wall?

If the extender is switched off in the office I have no Wi-Fi.

Yeah, that was my thinking, possibly use them with a new router, just wonder if it would all work with the new router in the media wall?

If the extender is switched off in the office I have no Wi-Fi.
Dont move the router until you've tried a few things.
The first Cisco thing is at the router, and the second is in the office 20m away?
Can you move the office one 5-10 metres closer to the router?
It might be a bit of a tall order for the one at the router to send it the full 20m, if it only had to send it 10-15 metres, the second would have a better incoming signal

I've managed to get an old laptop with ethernet port. If I switch on the extender in my office and hard wire the laptop to it then it shows as connected to my router in the house (SSID is shown), surely this would mean it's on the same ring?

Think if the extender isn't on at all I'm too far from the router to pick up the Wi-Fi signal.

Dont move the router until you've tried a few things.
The first Cisco thing is at the router, and the second is in the office 20m away?
Can you move the office one 5-10 metres closer to the router?
It might be a bit of a tall order for the one at the router to send it the full 20m, if it only had to send it 10-15 metres, the second would have a better incoming signal
Worth a shot 👍🏻

Back