Wifi extenders

Hello

Currently on VM broadband with hub 3. Medium sized hse, old school with brick walls.

Got issue with wifi not reaching the furthest away rooms from the router, or very poor wifi.

Been reading about wifi extenders, I want something good medium budget range i'd say as I have seen them go over £150 mark. My budget is about £70 max

I have found the below two options, what do people think? The netgear one I think is the better as just uses the same wifi details as your router so you don't have to connect to EXT everytime you need to use the wifi extender in a different room. it was down to £50 on Amazon, gone back up again today.
Don't know if the TP-Link is the same?
Any others I should consider in this price range?
I have have quite a lot of phone tablets etc connected, about 15 items.

NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Wifi Extender Booster (EX6410) - Add 2500 Sq feet with AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Internet Signal Booster Plus Smart Roaming

TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Gigabit Port and 4 External Antennas, Built-In Access Point Mode, UK Plug

thanks

The Wi-Fi is pretty poor on the hub 3 - I got around this by purchasing a pair of TP-Link M4 Deco's and putting the hub 3 into modem mode and using the main Deco as my router (connected to a switch for more ethernet ports) - the other is upstairs in the bedroom. Personally, i've hard wired the second upstairs Deco to an ethernet for better reliability so can't comment on what'd be like upstairs if it wasn't hard wired to ethernet but the signal in the house now is greatly improved.

Hello

Currently on VM broadband with hub 3. Medium sized hse, old school with brick walls.

Got issue with wifi not reaching the furthest away rooms from the router, or very poor wifi.

Been reading about wifi extenders, I want something good medium budget range i'd say as I have seen them go over £150 mark. My budget is about £70 max

I have found the below two options, what do people think? The netgear one I think is the better as just uses the same wifi details as your router so you don't have to connect to EXT everytime you need to use the wifi extender in a different room. it was down to £50 on Amazon, gone back up again today.
Don't know if the TP-Link is the same?
Any others I should consider in this price range?
I have have quite a lot of phone tablets etc connected, about 15 items.

NETGEAR WiFi Mesh Wifi Extender Booster (EX6410) - Add 2500 Sq feet with AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Internet Signal Booster Plus Smart Roaming

TP-Link RE650 AC2600 Universal Dual Band Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with 1 Gigabit Port and 4 External Antennas, Built-In Access Point Mode, UK Plug

thanks
Try to locate your VM hub more centrally to see if that resolves the issue. I also have a VM SuperHub 3.0 in a 3-storey terraced house, that was originally in the downstairs front room inside the front window near where the VM cable entered. I re-located the VM hub to a more central location on a shelf above the stairs on the first floor (had to install a new electric mains socket). I then connected a very long broadband extension cable from the downstairs entry point and pulled it under the floorboards and upstairs onto the re-located hub.
I still have the VM hub in its new central location but due to the lockdown and increased wifi usage, kids gaming etc., it lost connections and had to be regularly re-booted. I then read online that the VM hub cannot cope with more than 10 wifi devices. So recently I changed it to Modem Mode and connected it to an Asus Gaming Router that distributes wifi all over the house. The Asus Router is also connected to a 24-port HP switch that distributes wired broadband to all rooms via MK LAN wall sockets with 5 or 8-port Netgear switches.

Last edited:
what you mean VM are not great or their boosters are not great ☺ or both haha
I have contacted them to see if I can get FOC off them

what you mean VM are not great or their boosters are not great ☺ or both haha
I have contacted them to see if I can get FOC off them

Haha yeah both! (sometimes) ... I suppose all providers let you down on occasion. I got them for free after a bit of arguing but they're now in the attic as I didn't rate them (the boosters).

Don't use wifi extenders, get a mesh system, I got 3 of these on special offer for £99, they are a bit pricey unless on offer. They are brilliant, really easy to set up and provide wifi throughout the house. Turn the hub wifi off and away you go. Orbi is another alternative but they are even more expensive.

BT Whole Home Wi-Fi

What about the netgear mesh item in my first post. Is that the one to go for?
Do you need to switch wifi off on the hub?
Don't think the one you posted is a mesh, I tried everything before getting the BT hubs, loads of extenders, routers set as App's, I always ended up with an issue. The smaller BT discs are cheaper but have less throughput.
Unfortunately you won't get a decent mesh system for £70, you'll have to spend at least double or wait for a deal to appear.

Are these mesh the tenda nova item above? And the bt hubs are they mesh or wifi extenders? £170 a bit expensive. I wouldn't mind if they was 100 quid and help improve range and speed.
The one i posted was a netgear WiFi Mesh Wifi Extender Booster (EX6410).
Anyone using this or know if its any good?

Robot Check

Dont think any1 got this extender. I been reading about mesh set up. Im liking the netgear orbi rbk50. Any1 running this set up? What the like? Read one review on Amazon, dont know if there any truth to it?
"The router blocks all the streaming attempts, preventing Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and Apple TV app from working"

Back