Wifi extending

liphook

Hi, advice will be appreciated.

I live in a two storey house with solid brick walls, WiFi signal is good downstairs but is hit and miss upstairs.

I tried tp link WiFi extenders, but discovered that upstairs is on a different mains ring to downstairs, so they were no use.

im looking at a tp link mesh network -https://www.techadvisor.com/article/721027/tp-link-deco-p9-review.html

I have tried to read up but can’t find out if they also need to be on the same mains ring to work, or if the work different.

any one have experience with these and how they work?

Mesh networking is definitely a better answer/solution to the problem.
It is not dependent on or anything to do with power cables.
Personally, I would always suggest/recommend the use of ethernet cables to backhaul from an access-point back to the main public facing edge appliance. That said, it is possible to use a mesh over wifi or a combination of wifi and physical ethrnet cables.
This article illustrates the principles involved - What Is a Mesh Network? How Does It Work?

As a general aside/alternative, you will probably find that placing the wifi access point device upstairs, it will most likely adequately cover both the upstairs floor and the floors below it rather than the other way around.

Hi, advice will be appreciated.

I live in a two storey house with solid brick walls, WiFi signal is good downstairs but is hit and miss upstairs.

I tried tp link WiFi extenders, but discovered that upstairs is on a different mains ring to downstairs, so they were no use.

im looking at a tp link mesh network -https://www.techadvisor.com/article/721027/tp-link-deco-p9-review.html

I have tried to read up but can’t find out if they also need to be on the same mains ring to work, or if the work different.

any one have experience with these and how they work?
I have tried home plugs wifi extenders e.t.c the best thing I invested in were DECO M4 Mesh twin pack few years back.

I have the TP_Link deco M4's, like you our house is brick wall and these work well. I have the tripple pack, one that is connected to vm Hub in back room, 2nd in front room so I can connect my VU+ to it via ethernet and 3rd in bedroom with a zgemma plugged in via ethernet. I've not had a single drop out since having them and get full house cover. Far better than wifi extenders or Home plugs

I Don’t know the differences between the P9 and the M4 but I have the M4’s and as above they just work
just read this on tplink forums,

Whatever you do, DON'T BUY the P9. Its bloody ridiculous that the company decided to release a "newer" product (P9) which has older and worst firmware than the M4. And when you include the P9 as the Main Deco, it completely stuffs up the network. So please DO NOT buy the P9. I am extremely disappointed that tp-link would do such a horrible job with the routers especially the new ones.

I am actually removing the P9 completely as it is completely de-stabilizing the network and buying more M4s

Mesh networking is definitely a better answer/solution to the problem.
It is not dependent on or anything to do with power cables.
Personally, I would always suggest/recommend the use of ethernet cables to backhaul from an access-point back to the main public facing edge appliance. That said, it is possible to use a mesh over wifi or a combination of wifi and physical ethrnet cables.
This article illustrates the principles involved - What Is a Mesh Network? How Does It Work?

As a general aside/alternative, you will probably find that placing the wifi access point device upstairs, it will most likely adequately cover both the upstairs floor and the floors below it rather than the other way around.
Agreed I’ve got the deco mesh system in our 2 storey house was best purchase I bought instead of homeplugs

I've got p9s not had any issues myself and they do use power lines for data lines aswell.

I've got p9s not had any issues myself and they do use power lines for data lines aswell.
I don't think deco mesh does actually use powerlines type I still think it uses wifi signal for ethernet connection if you know what i mean rather than via electricity supply

TP Links will work no problem on different ring mains. Pretty much all houses have an upstairs ring main and a downstairs ring main unless the wiring is very old,in which case they had 1 ring main covering the upstairs and downstairs.

I’m with virgin using their 1GB package

But my wifi is slway below 600mb using the deco 55 mesh system

Any suggestion how I can get the full 1 gb over wifi

Back