Wifi extending

I’m with virgin using their 1GB package

But my wifi is slway below 600mb using the deco 55 mesh system

Any suggestion how I can get the full 1 gb over wifi
That may be the limit of your Deco Mesh System, but when you say 'way below' what speed is 'way below'?

That may be the limit of your Deco Mesh System, but when you say 'way below' what speed is 'way below'?
This is the model of the mesh I have, not to techie to understand if this has a limit on the max mb it can provide

Deal: TP-Link Deco X55 AX3000 Whole Home AI-Driven Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System, Three Gigabit Ports, Coverage up to 6,500 ft2, Connect up to 150 devices, HomeShield Security, Pack of 3, Amazon Exclusive https://amzn.eu/d/7NM4v02

This is the model of the mesh I have, not to techie to understand if this has a limit on the max mb it can provide

Deal: TP-Link Deco X55 AX3000 Whole Home AI-Driven Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System, Three Gigabit Ports, Coverage up to 6,500 ft2, Connect up to 150 devices, HomeShield Security, Pack of 3, Amazon Exclusive https://amzn.eu/d/7NM4v02
did you put virgin media router into modem mode. and also does device you connect to example on my laptop it has

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, Intel's 2nd Generation 802.11ac adapter, features increased bandwidth. TX/RX Streams: 1X1. Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz. Max Speed: 433 Mbps.
so could be limitation on the devices you connect to.

Last edited:
did you put virgin media router into modem mode. and also does device you connect to example on my laptop it has

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, Intel's 2nd Generation 802.11ac adapter, features increased bandwidth. TX/RX Streams: 1X1. Bands: 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz. Max Speed: 433 Mbps.
so could be limitation on the devices you connect to.
This! The best way to test your ISP speed is to plug directly into your router with RJ45 (Cat 6) - not over WiFi (too many variables that can impact performance - which your ISP can't control).

I worked at a small startup company and people complained about "internet speed" when they were on WiFi at points in the day. There was a bus stop right outside the front door and turns out it was interference from the free WiFi on the buses when they stopped outside that was causing the issues. We ended up changing the WiFi channel rather than patch users into the network.

Run a speed test on a few devices at the same time as it could well be that the device you are running a speed test on isn't capable of 1gb so will never show the max that your package is offering

And also considering you can connect ethernet from the decos, if deco is not far away then just use ethernet cable to that device if possible or you may need hub if multiple devices but get 1gb hub.

I personally was quite lucky perhaps to get sent out new virmin media hub wifi 6, it took me 3 or 4 attempts to even get the router to connnect to the Deco.

Did vm give you the router? They normally give good WiFi mesh extenders.

Did vm give you the router? They normally give good WiFi mesh extenders.
Virgin Media Help & Support

If you’ve run a speed test on the Virgin Media Connect app and aren’t getting download speeds of at least 30Mbps in every room, you can get up to three WiFi Pods – and if that doesn’t help, we’ll add £100 credit on your next bill.
One mesh WiFi Pod working with the WiFi Hub should give great WiFi coverage around your home. But if you’re still experiencing download speeds of less than 30Mbps in every room, you might need one or two more mesh WiFi Pods.

What Speeds can I expect from the WiFi Pod:

This’ll depend on things like:

• The broadband speed coming into the WiFi Hub – which you can check using the Virgin Media Connect app. Go to our super-intelligent home scan to test speeds all around your home.
• Overall network traffic
• The type of application you’re using on your device – for example, Netflix may perform better for you than a lesser-known streaming site
• Which WiFi banding your device is using – devices on 5GHz should run faster than those on 2.4GHz
• How far your device is from the mesh WiFi Pod
• If anything’s blocking the signal between the Hub, the WiFi Pod, and your device
• Electrical equipment or wireless devices, like a microwave or a baby monitor, nearby that could be disrupting your connection
• The WiFi capabilities of your device – older devices can’t go as fast as newer ones.

Back