Wii modding

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
is there anyone around here has any knowledge of the modding of the WII console, from the very basics, like how hard is it to do, what are the advantages. I know that i can just google it and work from there, but if there is anyone resident on techkings, I would be most grateful. it would also mean that the info would be here on site. there is a guy at work, but he does nothing for nothing, whereas, folks around here help each other out.
thanks in advance
Wheelo

Last edited:
is there anyone around here has any knowledge of the modding of the WII console, from the very basics, like how hard is it to do, what are the advantages. I know that i can just google it and work from there, but if there is anyone resident on techkings, I would be most grateful. it would also mean that the info would be here on site. there is a guy at work, but he does nothing for nothing, whereas, folks around here help each other out.
thanks in advance
Wheelo

This article may give you a good head start of what you might have to deal with:

"To install the mod chip on a Wii, your going to need a regular Phillips screwdriver with a star head (+) and a triwing screwdriver , which is like the last one but with only three edges, kind of like a (Y), but if you're skilled enough, you can use a flathead (-) for the triwings instead of buying one. The next thing you'll need is a solder iron, and if you're not good at soldering, I'd suggest finding someone you know to do it, or paying an expert. The last thing you're going to need is the actual mod-chip. I used the Cyclowiz, and i have no problems with it, but many people say that the Wii key is better, so you might want to get that one. When you order it, just search on Google for the mod chip you want and order it. The average price is probably 40-50 dollars. If you have newer wii, you are going to have to buy a D2C key. Its compatible with the newer chipset D2C. "WARNING" make sure you have a D2c, and not a D2C2 when you order your chip. If you have a D2c2, you need a D2 pro modchip. To tell the difference between the D2c and the D2c2, look at the following picture. Click here.

To open the Wii, you have to remove the little pads that act a little bit like legs for the system. Here is a link to a guide for taking apart for the chiip modchip, but you don't have to use that actual mod chip. Go here.

Once you have The Wii open to the part where the modchip should be installed, you will notice a black chip with a few letters on it. I modded my Wii back when it was only DMS, D2A,and D2B. You should make sure that your Wii is compatible with the chip set you have before buying one. There are 5 chipsets now, DMS, D2A, D2B, D2C, and D2C2. With D2C and D2C2, you need to use a the D2C key (D2C only) Or D2Pro (Currently compatable with all named in article). I'd reccomend you get the D2Pro. Once you have the chip and the open Wii with everything ready to install it, you have to follow the solder points on the Wii very carefully. To find out the solder points, you have to go on the website for your specific mod chip, I'm sorry i cant help u guys there. What i can tell you is that you need to know if your chip has cut legs (it most likely does, unless it's a wii bought between launch and 6 months after). If you do have cut legs, you can tell from this picture cut legs. What this means is that Nintendo tried to stop us from modding our wiis. Don't worry though, just look at this guide on cut-wiis and you will understand. Modding cut legs guide (pdf).

Well, now you should have it done! yay! Now you can play all the homebrew and backups you want, which is a great thing. To start you off on some homebrew, your going to want to use the Twilight hack. twilight hack . Once you have it on your wii, you can use it to install virtual console games, emulators, or even the homebrew channel, which is fantastic. To install things with the twilight hack, simply put the boot.elf in the root of your memory card, and any follow any other instructions the file gives you. I suggest using GBA temp for all your wii homebrew needs. GBA temp.

Well, i hope you enjoyed my article, and i hope it helped you out. If you have any more in depth questions just Contact Me. My next article........... My next article will be on either modding the DS to run backups, or the PSP. Contact Me If you have a specific request. "

pretty sure wii's require mod chips. thats about all i know. i have also seen wii's for sale with hard drives? thanks for the post! i will do some research for you and get back to you.

Wii's are now fully softmoddable using bannerbomb(google it),it allows you to plat back ups and even better you can load games from a wbfs formatted drive using the usb loader and theres lots of homebrew and wads out there for you to play around with.No modchip required for this just an sd card and doesnt involve opening your wii at any stage.

I have found a relatively easy explanation of the softmodding process, it is here, just one question, does this mod stop me from using my normal discs, or do i just go into a wii mod channel and choose my backup copy of a game?
thanks

hi wheelo if its anything like the xbox then i imagine you can still play your originals, if you cant, what harm, just trade them in for something else and download them again lol

on a serious note, if you can play "backups" you should be able to play originals as the backups are genuine copies of the original game :)

thanks axxxo, , i presume you are a Xbox fan, did you read the link? does it make sense to you, what i mean is could I do it having never done this before, my knowledge is with TT and R4 cards, and flashing the odd FTA box. thanks again

looks straight forward wheelo, id go for the expensive one that will cover all the wii versions, they sound pretty confident in their tuts and it seems alot more straight forward than the xbox!
doesnt seem too expensive to try it out and i dont think there is as much risk by using their methods of bricking your wii.

thanks again axxxo, there are free versions of this knocking around ,i googled it, just have to work out a few things that they mean, particularly their description of the root file of the sd card, i was going to format the card, then just put on the new software, when i get around to it , i might give you a shout back if thats ok.

Hi Wheelo,let me know how you get on and which ones you use,the root file of the card is just the card not any files on the card(y)

Freck looks like the dude in the know,an oul tut would be nice,nice win saturday,they played some nice football,you will have to start up a supporters thread(y)

have to agree sinno, freck looks like the man, I am going to try it and if i get it right, i will write a simplified tutorial.

I did a softmod on my sons yesterday and all working fine, I can even *Ahem backup games to HD and run them from there :grin:

Congrats hiteck did you use the aad20_v108 and the hackmii_installer_beta3, or what, and is it easy???

Back