Wooshbuild v5 and v6 user guide

FoxMan

Would anyone be interested if I did a very simple user guide for v5? I know a lot of people set them up for family or customers and end up getting a lot of repeat questions. It would just include some very basic things like how to record, what to do if there is no epg data, how to mount an hdd etc and would be aimed at a complete novice or someone new to ZGemma and Whooshbuild. Probably the sort of person who isn't very technically minded and wouldn't know about this forum. People could just print it off and include it with the box.

I am sure a lot of people would be interested in a basic user guide.
Whilst we did everything for the installation, we have never gotten round to a user guide although i do know a few resellers have done their own.
One thing i would say is that we are in the process of doing some updates so might be an idea to hold off completion until the updates are done.

Yes great idea it must be quite difficult to do on top of the many fantastic new features added regularly
It appears that as a result there is quite a bit of fragmented information around so having it in a one stop guide would be helpful. Thanks

Reactions: zak
Ya great idea especially if you include the principles of software update for the box on weekly basis by blue button on remote

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Honestly, by all means go for it, and fair play to you for being willing to do so, but I G-U-A-R-A-N-T-E-E that even if its a sticky, in bold, flashing at the top of the page, saying WOOSHBUILD GUIDE, you will S-T-I-L-L get newbies demanding (note,not asking) someone tell them why they cant find / do X Y or Z......

Sounds like a great idea, could I suggest that you do an open shared document on Googledocs so that folks can add their own hints and tips, or maybe set up a wiki and let it build itself and then put all the information into a book like format?

Aiden

Would anyone be interested if I did a very simple user guide for v5? I know a lot of people set them up for family or customers and end up getting a lot of repeat questions. It would just include some very basic things like how to record, what to do if there is no epg data, how to mount an hdd etc and would be aimed at a complete novice or someone new to ZGemma and Whooshbuild. Probably the sort of person who isn't very technically minded and wouldn't know about this forum. People could just print it off and include it with the box.
YES Please

This is the very first version. Please have a look and see if there are any errors or if there are any suggestions for other basic topics. It's only for the basic Sly skin and not the Q skin as I think most new users will want the familiarity of Sly.

Attachments

• Basic User Guide v1.pdf
    671.5 KB · Views: 3,013
Excellent FoxMan, I'm sure this will prove very useful to new users.
Noticed a couple of things that I thought I would mention, only minor :-

Page 8, lie tv should be live tv
Page 10, can about should be can do about
Page 11, would it perhaps be an idea to suggest putting the receiver into deep standby before turning off by the white button.

Keep up the good work.

Good job foxman :)
It might be a idea to link to a dropbox folder instead of directly to the PDF, that way whenever you update it you don't have to change the link

Great guide, thank you. A couple of points.

1. You label the "Loop Out" in red "Do Not Use". In some cases, this is a useful connection since my TV has a freesat tuner so I can use the loop out to feed the tv sat input then watch a freesat channel on the tv while the Zgemma is recording other two channels or is updating firmware etc. The red "Do Not Use" implies something bad might happen if you plug into it.

2. You say "if you upgrade to an external hard drive then get one that is powered from the mains rather than powered through the USB connection. It puts too much strain on ZGemma box to power a hard drive as well". Has this been tested? I can't find the spec for the Zgemma power supply but mine, from a reputable supplier with own website, came with a Toshiba USB powered 1tb drive. Toshiba spec says max current is 900ma. There doesn't seem to be any problem at the moment but then again, I could be overloading the Zgemma psu and heading for a premature failure. Does anyone have details of the Zgemma supply and it's recommended usb power rating?

Back