Cable ZGemma H2.H constant crashing

Hey all,

Had a H2.H for nearly 2 years , running wooshbuild 4.001. I know the build is a bit out of date but its been working fine for my needs so haven't updated it.

Anyway starting about a month ago I noticed it would crash at random times. when it happens the screen goes black and the box becomes completely unresponsive. I have to turn it off at the back and reboot it and then all will be fine for .... well a random amount of time. But then over the last few weeks I noticed it was happening more frequently to the point now where at best it will boot up and play a channel (all channels work) for maximum a minute before crashing. Sometimes it can be 10 seconds, sometimes it doesn't even complete the boot up sequence. Every single time , there is a very short burst of static noise, black screen and box goes unresponsive.

(When it only happened now and again it could crash both when watching it or when in standby.)

So today I plugged it in at my dads house who has an identical set up to me and it behaves exactly the same there (his box is working fine) as it does at my house, so surely that rules out my cables or my PSU being at fault. Also, I checked the USB stick, booting up with it both in and out and again that made no difference.

If I had to guess it seems hardware related and therefore I'm reluctant to flash it with a new build in case it crashes during the flash and bricks the box.

Anyone had this problem? I've done a search but not found any similar issues, does anyone has any ideas what it might be or things to try ?

No mate, no messages at all, one minute the channel is on and then short burst of static noise, black screen and box goes unresponsive.

I would give the box and update if you know how and are confident. That’s an old wooshbuild.
You have nothing to loose. If your box is caput it doesn’t matter what build you have.
Woosh has a great updated build.

Yeah I know what you mean, I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas of what it might be before I potentially brick the box. I'm confident I can do it, just not confident the box won't crash whilst doing it !

unlikely to brick the box just by flashing it, if flashing is interupted/fails then in most cases restarting the flashing process is all that is needed.

Thanks for the replies !
I've tried my dads PSU - it makes no difference

OK I'll try updating to wooshbuild infinity and see how it goes !

Ok so good news and bad news ...

Tried multiple times to flash wooshbuild infinity with crashes at random times in the process. Usual crash where screen goes black and box completely unresponsive. So I was about to throw the thing in the bin when I thought I'd unscrew the top off the box and see if there was any obvious physical damage to the internal components as it must be a hardware issue. Nothing looked damaged but thought it may be worth a go trying to flash without the lid/case on (in case it was a overheating issue) ..... and voila !! its worked , no crash and wooshbuild infinity installed and running fine ! 20 mins later i place the lid/case back on the top and less than 5 mins later the box crashed. took the lid off and fired it back up and no problems. been fine for nearly an hour now. Thing is the top case wasnt really hot. Warm at most but it must be enough to make a component fail.

So, I cant really run it permanently with no lid on , maybe I'll mod the lid and fit a small fan? anyone any better ideas or modded their box?

p.s. found a 12v 5a PSU which I've also started using so have some spare current for the fan if that's useful?

People have used laptop coolers which can use the usb and can keep box cool.Should be temp guide on box to see what temp is running on box,but possibly a faulty cap?

People have used laptop coolers which can use the usb and can keep box cool.Should be temp guide on box to see what temp is running on box,but possibly a faulty cap?
dodgy caps are usually a PSU issue, and as the zgemma uses an external PSU I dont really see that being an issue,
but, still a possibility.
you could try a laptop cooling pad and simply drill a few holes in the bottom of the box perhaps,,,,,,,,

be aware on the zgemmas the top case (with the vent holes) is covered by a transparent film - although the film has holes in it could contribute to insulating the heat

I have a H7S in a cupboard that was constantly crashing due to overheating, it's fine with the case removed.
I'll try one of these on it :(y):

Back