Can latency cause buffering?

Gewber

According to some geeks on another forum the latency on my Virgin broadband isn't great and wondering if that can contribute to buffering?

Thanks

chrome_zJ2YOegYzt.png

Not 100 percent sure my lad has an Xbox with virgin media. And pretty sure the lower the latency, the smoother it runs. Hope this helps.... Paul
That's off me phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_182042_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_182042_com.android.chrome.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 10
Latency in gaming means you would pull the trigger and have a delay before your gun actually shoots.

By that logic, although changing channels might take longer, once its playing, you shouldn't get any buffering.

If you had lots of high spikes then maybe...but that screenshot only has a couple....so yeah not too sure.

Have you asked virgin to do a line check? You may have too much noise on it which can be fixed at their end.

Latency in gaming means you would pull the trigger and have a delay before your gun actually shoots.

By that logic, although changing channels might take longer, once its playing, you shouldn't get any buffering.

If you had lots of high spikes then maybe...but that screenshot only has a couple....so yeah not too sure.

Have you asked virgin to do a line check? You may have too much noise on it which can be fixed at their end.

I'll post it on their forums and see what they say.

Just done one on my Vodafone fibre. Just shows a whole screen of red. But I have zero problems.. 😂

God knows why it shows red all over the graph1000006462.jpg

I know it says it could be 100% red due to firewall but I ain't got one. Or my ip address changed. Weird I'll try again

I know on my router I need to turn off ignore ping from wan for it to work.

Also alot of UK fibre providers are using CGNAT so you won't see a true reflection of you're on one of those isp.

The only time I've had issues with buffering was when my isp had a few days of congestion which looked like this.

Attachments

• 492c51a6b1b41aa2e32c8d093bfce01cbc830961-12-11-2023.png
    492c51a6b1b41aa2e32c8d093bfce01cbc830961-12-11-2023.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 3

THIS! 100% correct. Latency would only come into on IPTV when changing channels. The OP screenshot seems to suggest a ping of below 40ms, which is absolutely fine for all online activities.

I would test using several other online tools (use cabled connection to your router) to validate your connection speed and latency.

Fast.com (click more info to get latency/upload data)
Speedtest.net

If it stays below 40 it should be fine but sometimes it goes up and down and you get a big jump then you will get buffering but if it's consistent below 40 you should be good 😊

Back