Firestick vs Android Box

thebesh

TK Supporter
Hi folks

Used to be involved in CS back in the day and used Dreambox, before upgrading to VU+ box. I'm looking to start testing IPTV solution and wondering whether I should go for FS 4k vs Android box. I know both will fine, but I have a couple of concerns based on my past experience.

Remote Control - when I had the Dreambox the remote control on it was awful and the system was so slow and laggy to respond to button presses. I imagine the FS will be a lot nicer to use and intuitive (for family members less tech savy). I worry about poor remote controls on cheaper Android boxes. If I'm honest I grudge the 60 quid for a 4k FS, but I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for.

Open/Closed Box - I have a VPN service and I'm aware I'll be able to use this on both on Android and FS. My concern is that the day I buy a FS is the day they decide to lock down the system and no longer allow the sideloading of 3rd party apps. Although they may decide that doing this might shoot themselves in the foot for FS sales in the future. Am I being too paranoid thinking this?

Just looking for advice and sanity check before I go and buy anything. I'd like to stick to 60 quid max budget (cost of FS). Is there a better alternative on Android box? I've looked on Amazon and other online sellers. They either look cheap and nasty, or look great, but are over 100 quid. Not sure I'm prepared to pay as much as that just yet. All opinions and comments appreciated :-)

Open/Closed Box - I have a VPN service and I'm aware I'll be able to use this on both on Android and FS. My concern is that the day I buy a FS is the day they decide to lock down the system and no longer allow the sideloading of 3rd party apps. Although they may decide that doing this might shoot themselves in the foot for FS sales in the future. Am I being too paranoid thinking this?

I don't think they will do this, the way of testing Android apps is to side load them on devices. I don't think there is any other way.

Just looking for advice and sanity check before I go and buy anything. I'd like to stick to 60 quid max budget (cost of FS). Is there a better alternative on Android box? I've looked on Amazon and other online sellers. They either look cheap and nasty, or look great, but are over 100 quid. Not sure I'm prepared to pay as much as that just yet. All opinions and comments appreciated :-)
Firesticks work just fine, there are other arguably better but more expensive .

Plenty of device's to chose from nowadays to view iptv, we all have debates on here as to which device is best and what app's to use etc.
All come's down to budget and what you expect realistically from your iptv sub.
My device's consistent of.
1. Nvidia shield pro ( the best android box in my opinion but other will say its overkill lol ).
2. 2nd gen Amazon cube.
3. 4k firestick max.
Not sure if your aware but amazon have sales on throughout the year with another one coming soon in october so Firestick's will be virtually half price.
Now what deals will be available on the cube and the New cube with built in ethernet connection is anyone's guess but its a reasonable platform to start.
Always where possible have your device's hardwired which will provide a more stable and quality connection.
Its not all about speed its the quality and stability in iptv viewing.
Plenty of info on the forum for you to read up on but if you still have questions to ask theres ton's of member's on hand day and sometime's night's 😀 Enjoy.

Thanks all for the replies. I know these type of questions will get asked all the time and I couldn't find all the info I needed, so thank you.
I googled when the next Amazon sale was last night and saw the same result - October. I know I would get the FIre stick cheaper, but I'm pretty keen to get going and try it out.

There is a new gigblue stick about to be released
GigaBlue Android11 Giga TV Stick 4K PRO HDR60Hz / HDMI2.1
Looks pretty decent tbh
Thanks all for the replies. I know these type of questions will get asked all the time and I couldn't find all the info I needed, so thank you.
I googled when the next Amazon sale was last night and saw the same result - October. I know I would get the FIre stick cheaper, but I'm pretty keen to get going and try it out.
there will always be ways to side load apps onto a firestick.
If planning on getting a firestick you can also use your tv remote via hdmi cec I think it is and personally would buy the Amazon ethanet adaptor and have your firestick hardwired.
Android boxes are ok I would look at the amiko range but if your wanting the likes of Netflix and crap like that then a firestick would be the best option.
Also with android box make sure they support hevc265 codec or you will run into trouble with codec issues as most providers have changed codec

Purely for iptv, I've never used anything better than the Formuler devices....z11 pro max currently.

Depends what you want from the box tho, if you want an all-in-one, it isn't the one...for example it doesn't support dolby vision. Deal breaker for me and watching DV content on Plex.

If you want purely iptv, there isn't anything better imo.

I do have a shield pro, but I've need liked it.

Purely for iptv, I've never used anything better than the Formuler devices....z11 pro max currently.

Depends what you want from the box tho, if you want an all-in-one, it isn't the one...for example it doesn't support dolby vision. Deal breaker for me and watching DV content on Plex.

If you want purely iptv, there isn't anything better imo.

I do have a shield pro, but I've need liked it.
His budget is only £60 so formuler is out of question unless he can pick a 2nd hand z8 or cc up cheap enough

Appreciate the responses - thank you
I work in IT and I have a lot of home services running as Docker containers - including my beloved Plex server with a few TB of Movies/TV Shows.

I'm probably going to go for a firestick and take it from there. I'm tight with money, hence I didn't want to go crazy splashing the cash on this to test it out. If I see this as something I'll pursue further, than I can justify the cost to myself.
This forum has SO much information and the feedback I've had from everyone has made me feel so welcome - thank you :-)

I’ve had good luck with the fire stick 4K. Only thing I don’t like is the limited storage (8gb) since it comes with a bunch of stuff you can’t easily uninstall. Performance has been excellent for the IPTV services I’ve used so far. If the 3rd gen cube goes on sale I might pick it up for the extra storage. The remote control is fine but nothing fancy. Having voice typing makes on-screen text entry nice.

my opinion for what it's worth: i've used the generic android boxes and used to get them for mates, they were all crap, had a shield when they came out, loved and hated them for different reasons, 4k firesticks were always sort of ok and i prefer the firestick remotes better than any. With a firestick 4k max my iptv enjoyment went backwards, always silly little issues which i blamed on everything but the device, now back to a shield tv tube thing and i'm firmly back in that camp, i just can't imagine ever going back to a firestick, and the picture quality? far and above better than the firestick!

Did a bit of research last night and although I said I didn't want to spend more than 60 quid, I'm thinking about going for nVidia Sheild Pro or Amazon Cube. Read so many stories of people upgrading from firestick to shield and commenting on the improvement in quality. The firestick is currently 60 quid, adding on Ethernet adapter puts it up to 80. Adding the USB power adapter adds another 20 quid. The nVidia Shield is 190, which I realise is almost twice the price. The Cube is 140, which is a better price point.

My current TV bundle ends in December and ideally I would like to drop this and go internet only. I want to give IPTV the best shot at success and I feel going for one of these models would do this. Just need to try and decide which one to go for

Back