Firestick vs Android Box

Did a bit of research last night and although I said I didn't want to spend more than 60 quid, I'm thinking about going for nVidia Sheild Pro or Amazon Cube. Read so many stories of people upgrading from firestick to shield and commenting on the improvement in quality. The firestick is currently 60 quid, adding on Ethernet adapter puts it up to 80. Adding the USB power adapter adds another 20 quid. The nVidia Shield is 190, which I realise is almost twice the price. The Cube is 140, which is a better price point.

My current TV bundle ends in December and ideally I would like to drop this and go internet only. I want to give IPTV the best shot at success and I feel going for one of these models would do this. Just need to try and decide which one to go for
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max Ultra HD with Alexa Voice Remote £37.99 w/ marketing signup code (free c+c) | hotukdeals

I must be in the minority who don't like the shield. It's sluggish with the recent software, super old hardware now and the remote is crap. BUT...it does act as a good device for game streaming and once you are inside of the apps, they work well.

Bazz and stuss don't like them.
But what do you actually need.

1. Device a firestick will work.
2. A app supplier will give you a app.

So you could set your self up quite cheap less than a month's cost of sky.

Firestick tk £38
Between £40 and £60 for sub

It's the same thing with apps. You dont watch the app they all pretty much have same players. Android player and VLC built in.

Bazz and stuss don't like them.
But what do you actually need.

1. Device a firestick will work.
2. A app supplier will give you a app.

So you could set your self up quite cheap less than a month's cost of sky.

Firestick tk £38
Between £40 and £60 for sub

It's the same thing with apps. You dont watch the app they all pretty much have same players. Android player and VLC built in.
Did some one say upscaling😂😂😂

What do you use instead as a matter of interest ? Oh and I have a season ticket in SW corner , FTM. (y):smiley:

Formuler Z11 Pro Max for iptv - nothing comes close IMO.
AppleTV 4K for Plex/Iptv/everything else - it's getting close with IPTV (iptvx) but still not quite there.
Also messing about with Zidoo Z9X Pro - but not as good as the other two boxes..

And the more SAFC the merrier! ;). NE corner now for me, formerly west stand!

Hmmm never experienced sluggish software with shield pro. I can understand the remote not being to everyone taste but you can always use your TV remote if it has CEC hdmi

It was since they started overloading the Home Screen with the targeted crap. It become messy and sluggish compared to how it was. There's a lot of noise on the Nvidia forums about it.

Formuler Z11 Pro Max for iptv - nothing comes close IMO.
AppleTV 4K for Plex/Iptv/everything else - it's getting close with IPTV (iptvx) but still not quite there.
Also messing about with Zidoo Z9X Pro - but not as good as the other two boxes..

And the more SAFC the merrier! ;). NE corner now for me, formerly west stand!
Had Apple TV years ago , but binned it because Iplayer on that box didn't have subtitle support , am talking nearly a decade ago. Am told the issue still hasn't been resolved.

Had Apple TV years ago , but binned it because Iplayer on that box didn't have subtitle support , am talking nearly a decade ago. Am told the issue still hasn't been resolved.

Probably not mate, iplayer support is crap on the AppleTV. BBC don't seem interested in it!

Last edited:
Has anyone used a hako pro box. Have ordered one from aliexpress for about £35 purely for iptv and I think the thing that sets it apart from the millions of android boxes is that it’s got 4gb ram while also running certified android tv OS.

Last edited:
Has anyone used a hako pro box. Have ordered one from aliexpress for about £35 purely for iptv and I think the thing that sets it apart from the millions of android boxes is that it’s got 4gb ram while also running certified android tv OS.
According to some. Manufacturers say Google insist on 2 ram and 16gb storage to be certified by them.

Back