Firestick vs Android Box

Did a bit of research last night and although I said I didn't want to spend more than 60 quid, I'm thinking about going for nVidia Sheild Pro or Amazon Cube. Read so many stories of people upgrading from firestick to shield and commenting on the improvement in quality. The firestick is currently 60 quid, adding on Ethernet adapter puts it up to 80. Adding the USB power adapter adds another 20 quid. The nVidia Shield is 190, which I realise is almost twice the price. The Cube is 140, which is a better price point.

My current TV bundle ends in December and ideally I would like to drop this and go internet only. I want to give IPTV the best shot at success and I feel going for one of these models would do this. Just need to try and decide which one to go for
Imo the shield is more for gaming and can run iptv but if only going to be used for iptv then £190 is a bit over kill just for iptv.
Don’t get me wrong the shield can handle everything you throw at it ohhhh and the dreaded upscaling👀👀.
For the price of the shield you could get the cube and an iptv sub all for the £190 you would spend on the shield.

I wouldn't change back now from a shield, my experience with a 4k max has really blunted it for me, it's not until a got rid of it that i realised how many silly little issues i was having with it that i never got with a 4k, for this reason i simply wouldn't buy another amazon device. My 2019 shield wasn't without issues but sometimes we put down these issues down to it being iptv in general. You rarely see cubes on the second hand market and that usually means not many are buying them or the people buying them are happy with them. My shield tv tube thing has been perfect in every way so far so it gets my vote

I wouldn't change back now from a shield, my experience with a 4k max has really blunted it for me, it's not until a got rid of it that i realised how many silly little issues i was having with it that i never got with a 4k, for this reason i simply wouldn't buy another amazon device. My 2019 shield wasn't without issues but sometimes we put down these issues down to it being iptv in general. You rarely see cubes on the second hand market and that usually means not many are buying them or the people buying them are happy with them. My shield tv tube thing has been perfect in every way so far so it gets my vote
It’s well documented that the 4k max stick is really buggy and loads have ran into issues using iptv on one.

Probably can get a 2nd hand shield for cheaper tbh. But does the shield play 4k channels well?.. I heard it doesn't have hlg to playback 4k?
Really good call - thank you.

Had a google and found this from a reddit post on how to enable on shield. Tested on LG tv, which is what I have (y)
Go to all settings, picture mode, stay on select mode. Press 1113111. This will open the menu. Now you are in the secret menu. Go to EOTF. Find HLG and you are good to go.

Reactions: m4u
I have the tubular 2019 shield which I bought new and also a 2017 shield which I bought a couple of months ago on ebay for £50. the 2017 model is on the main TV in our lounge , wife loves it. Also have a couple of Firesticks. I would go for a used shield if I was you.

I've went and bought a new Shield Pro - gets delivered later today. I'll try out some free IPTV sources and confirm I can get this up and running before looking for other sources :wink:
Just like to thank everyone for their comments/help/advice - much appreciated

Did a bit of research last night and although I said I didn't want to spend more than 60 quid, I'm thinking about going for nVidia Sheild Pro or Amazon Cube. Read so many stories of people upgrading from firestick to shield and commenting on the improvement in quality. The firestick is currently 60 quid, adding on Ethernet adapter puts it up to 80. Adding the USB power adapter adds another 20 quid. The nVidia Shield is 190, which I realise is almost twice the price. The Cube is 140, which is a better price point.

My current TV bundle ends in December and ideally I would like to drop this and go internet only. I want to give IPTV the best shot at success and I feel going for one of these models would do this. Just need to try and decide which one to go for
Mecool do good certified android boxes.
£60-70

Does this get regular updates and support over the shield?
KM1 is a popular choice but no updates since 2020 saying that they run spot on.

Loads of models in the range some maybe better supported than other take a look on the manufacture's home page.

Shield is good. You shouldn't be disappointed.

I must be in the minority who don't like the shield. It's sluggish with the recent software, super old hardware now and the remote is crap. BUT...it does act as a good device for game streaming and once you are inside of the apps, they work well.

Imo the shield is more for gaming and can run iptv but if only going to be used for iptv then £190 is a bit over kill just for iptv.
Don’t get me wrong the shield can handle everything you throw at it ohhhh and the dreaded upscaling👀👀.
For the price of the shield you could get the cube and an iptv sub all for the £190 you would spend on the shield.
Don't really need pro. Just get sheild tv then it works out the same price as a cube more or less.

I must be in the minority who don't like the shield. It's sluggish with the recent software, super old hardware now and the remote is crap. BUT...it does act as a good device for game streaming and once you are inside of the apps, they work well.
What do you use instead as a matter of interest ? Oh and I have a season ticket in SW corner , FTM. (y):smiley:

Hmmm never experienced sluggish software with shield pro. I can understand the remote not being to everyone taste but you can always use your TV remote if it has CEC hdmi

Back