1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Public DNS

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by bonnyjohnny, Dec 29, 2016.

1. bonnyjohnny

bonnyjohnny Registered

Where would i place this new dns???

zgemma box or
    my router
    or both?

2. mrtweaks

mrtweaks Registered

If you put it on the router everything goes though to it I was led to believe?

3. kiddac

kiddac

if your putting it on your box.

setup...system...network...device setup...adapter settings

these are my settings for a fixed ip using google dns and opendns.

dns.jpg

4. scoob197

scoob197 TK Veteran

quick note:
    you may have to change DHCP to no / create a static IP before you can edit DNS settings

5. FixitFelix

FixitFelix Registered

Is there any advantage to using the google dns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. mrtweaks

mrtweaks Registered

Google did have a major DNS problem some weeks back. But might be better to get a smart DNS

7. FixitFelix

FixitFelix Registered

Sorry for my noob questions but what's do I gain using this over my providers default DNS?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mrtweaks

mrtweaks Registered

I was given a site to visit and my providor had blocked it but by changing to a smart dns it is now available. The fact it being a differant DNS can help these silly problems but once they decide to get together a bit more it will be the only way, that and vpn.

9. bonnyjohnny

bonnyjohnny Registered

set my router and box to google and was not asked for static ip so all good just left DHCP to know as the box is reading from my gateway which is my router address set to same so all good

10. kiddac

kiddac

it is better if you define a static internal ip for your box though.
    That way it never changes and if you end up a faffer and are always ftping or telneting you don't have to keep checking what the ip address is.
    All routers are different, but usually under advanced settings you will have something like Static ARP where you designate an ip to the mac address of your sat box

11. danlou

danlou Registered

just ftp the box host name eg zgemmah2s thats what i do, you never really need to know ip address...