Skybox/openbox the truth

I've a libortview F5s
Some days, all the channels work, other days half the channels work with no signal/scrambled showing

Do I need to change my line/provider????

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!'

Cheap and cheerful, but get the job done at a price point that suits most pockets. Ok its no VU duo/solo but it ain't near as expensive. Its all about the server m8 ;)

Check you have the file name in correct. If it says for not found it has read your USB or the USB option would be greyed out

i've got an F3 downstairs and an FS5 upstairs in the daughters room both lines are from the same server connected via bt homeplugs and ours is great ce la vie

Hi all,

Here is my two penneth if anyone is interested, probably a bit of a history lesson lol

The skybox tutorial came out on here approx 2 years ago.

At the time they we're considered the successor to the openbox series.

They became very popular due to the price.

All was well if you paid a bit extra, bought a genuine box and got yourself a decent server.
Learned how to update your channel list and everything was sweet for a while.

F3 and F5 models where out at this time, they were considered by most who had them as good value for money, HD box. Limited EPG blah blah but done it's job.

Ebay was flooded with boxes with gifts, the first main problem was the gifts being glitchy or going off early, the forum was flooded with post after post after post
on the same subject.

Then it was where is the latest firmware, how do I load the latest AJ's, on and on and on.

New members everywhere, one hit posters who didn't have a clue, just seen a plug and play bargain and got ripped off mainly on Ebay
joined the forum and asked questions.

Then it was clone boxes, file mismatch errors, then signal fixes, post after post, day in day out.

Then we had an improvement the 7 day EPG, sound, people thought that was great.

I jumped ship then because pond was so muddy with crap clone clone boxes on the market ,and cheap Ebay gifts looking to rip of , the box was no longer a bargain, the market
was just a minefield of trouble.

People still bought the newer models, people on the forum who had been about for a while posted that they where becoming more trouble than they where worth.

The point I am making really is they started out well, but people just bought them not knowing what they where getting.

They come on the forum and moan, same moan new member !!!

That's why this section has so many of the same posts, on the same couple of faults.

May I please take the opportunity to point out the importance of the search button lol

Yep !!! It's there !!!, top right hand corner !!! :whistling:

May I please take the opportunity to point out the importance of the search button lol

Yep !!! It's there !!!, top right hand corner !!!:whistling:

Just had to check that out Bees, I thought the way to find out was to open your own thread, and let others do the work.

As for your recollections on the boxes, I think you are spot on!!

Problem wasn't so much about the boxes when they first came out, it's just about how the whole picture has unfolded since, too many
people thinking they are onto a cheap trick then getting caught out because they have left themselves open to rip off merchants.

It still stands, buy a genuine box and a separate recommended server, but loads go for the cheapest and easiest possible solution.

If people joined a forum first, did a bit of research, they would then make an informed decision
on what they where buying, and this section wouldn't have half as many posts all on the same subjects.

As you have mentioned, people where and still do buy first, post a new thread second lol

It will get to a point like the starview section did before people start to realise the writing was
on the wall, or at least all over the forum !! :laughing:

Seems to me that this is a personal opinion with a pretty poo skybox experience. I have an F3 and had no dramas with it.

---------- Post Merged at 09:49 PM ----------

Seems to me that this is a personal opinion with a pretty poo skybox experience. I have an F3 and had no dramas with it.

I wish Blade 5000s had the same remote as the Skybox F3 then it would have been the best box

Last edited:
I have just received from the manufacturers in China, a nice new shiny Openbox V8s. Basic firmware and no channel list installed as per request.
I downloaded the firmware direct from Skybox.cc and a channel list from AJSat---installed easily, I also got given a testline from China and in it went. It took me about 20mins to take from package to seeing pictures on screen [Boomerang for those who know my mentality]:whistling:
I then went further and scanned in Astra 19.2e, Astra 23.5e and Hotbird 13e with the aid of USALS, they all scanned fast and accurate.
For such a cheap [around £40] box it's a newbies dream come true and shouldn't be laughed at. Picture quality, ease of set up and a nice new designed remote---what more does one want. It's a great innovation and should last awhile if you read and follow instructions.
[No--I do not sell boxes or lines but I do test for some very nice people who give me the boxes to play with and if these boxes were c*** then I would say so but all I can say is---You get a lot for a small payout] I'm well happy with this box, roll on the V10 when it appears.
Reaper.

Back