Skybox/openbox the truth

How many have you flogged with the above advert Mr 2012ysyb:whistling:
Reaper.

Lool none so far I had a Skybox F3 for a year but that became a flop due to box crashing whilst exiting epg. I upgraded Technomate 5402 to Skybox F3 back in 2012 that was a big mistake.

---------- Post Merged at 09:35 PM ----------

I wont make another stupid mistake I have matured now

Hi please having read your post on research before buying. The problem is when ask people to help recommend you get scammers as well . Please can you pm recommend a good box dealers and the best box and best sever provider. Thanks simonb

Last edited:
I like my F5 it works well other than not being able to upgrade the firmware due to 'mismatch' error.

I have just received from the manufacturers in China, a nice new shiny Openbox V8s. Basic firmware and no channel list installed as per request.
I downloaded the firmware direct from Skybox.cc and a channel list from AJSat---installed easily, I also got given a testline from China and in it went. It took me about 20mins to take from package to seeing pictures on screen [Boomerang for those who know my mentality]:whistling:
I then went further and scanned in Astra 19.2e, Astra 23.5e and Hotbird 13e with the aid of USALS, they all scanned fast and accurate.
For such a cheap [around £40] box it's a newbies dream come true and shouldn't be laughed at. Picture quality, ease of set up and a nice new designed remote---what more does one want. It's a great innovation and should last awhile if you read and follow instructions.
[No--I do not sell boxes or lines but I do test for some very nice people who give me the boxes to play with and if these boxes were c*** then I would say so but all I can say is---You get a lot for a small payout] I'm well happy with this box, roll on the V10 when it appears.
Reaper.

i've got an old F3 that was pretty simple to set up, is it still a viable box to use or would i be better off getting something newer like the V8s? and where would be a safe place to buy one from?

cheers

I have only ever had mismatch/tp_prog problems because of my own mistakes. Other than that i havnt had any of the other problems you stated simonb. I am curious why you would continue to buy the skybox/openbox range if your having so many problems with them. Maybe a change is on the cards, might help with the blood pressure ;-p

Hello,I have a new openbox v8s, I loaded the latest software (the only one it will accept) I loaded the channel list for Hispasat W30, the channels (fta) are all there but scrambled, NO SIGNAL ! What do I have to enter in the in the setup section for satellite, lnb, etc. (if any) as I am not sure with this box, in other words do i need to a special setup for Hispasat W30? Thanks.

Operate box as a F5s---menus are almost the same. Reception depends on dish size for this satellite---I know you are in London and I'm not far away but I need a 90cm dish to pull channels in. Also make sure that your provider has 30W on your line.
Reaper.

Operate box as a F5s---menus are almost the same. Reception depends on dish size for this satellite---I know you are in London and I'm not far away but I need a 90cm dish to pull channels in. Also make sure that your provider has 30W on your line.
Reaper.
Hello again, its for my neighbour his dish is one of those tvcabo ones 90cm I think, been great for years, I don't know the setup settings in the satellite section (been looking to no avail) can you help Thanks. ps no rrovider needed as all portuguese channels are free to air.

]Hello again, its for my neighbour his dish is one of those tvcabo ones 90cm I think, been great for years, I don't know the setup settings in the satellite section (been looking to no avail) can you help Thanks. ps no rrovider needed as all portuguese channels are free to air.[/QUOTE]

OK but most of 30w is Spanish and a provider is required. Before starting ensure dish is set to 30W--power up box.
Go to menu settings and then sat list---go thru sat list and tick Hispasat 30W now highlight 30W and press 4 on the remote00edit the screen to your requirements [ie FTA--TV/radio--blind scan then ok]when channel scan complete, exit out and press centre on remote for list--go to known channel. If channel working then go back into menu and load channel list---once loaded then exit and reboot box.
Reaper.

..did as you said, signal is ok now, but the channels are scrambled, with the older f5s the all opened. the latest firmware for this box v8s is openbox_v8s_3511HD.abs is the only one that the box will allow. Any ideas please.

channel list for 30w for openbox? where did you find this?? i have not seen any around, maybe it is out of date, try doing a full scan without the channel list and see if the channels work. like reaper says 30w most channels are encrypted, and all the spanish channels are on 19.2 as well and you will get a better signal on 19.2, for Portuguese only on 30w and you will not get subscription tv without a server, you will only get the portuguese version of bbc/itv etc etc, no sports or movies etc.

Last edited:
Back