Xbox one and Skybox F5s hookup

dunc1n

Anybody tried hooking up their skybox to their xbox one yet??
The xbox asks for the following details:

your post code
your providers name
the manufacturer/model of cable box you’re using

What would we put in for the supplier??? Would it be Sly..... (with a k)???

Think this could be an interesting topic....

Cheers

Hook up works with f5s but Xbox has not updated in uk with epg. So it's just a pass through. Works better then other boxes as option to set 1080p 60. Xbox one runs at 60 hz and most set boxes run at 50 hz, so there are reports of frame rate problems. MS are testing loads of uk boxes before full tv options are there like in the US.

Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but are you guys able to access the menu whilst your f5s is hooked up to the xb1? I cant, i just get a blank screen and the same when i try and access the PVR.

The HDMI passthrough on the Xbox One is awful. I've given up using it.

It's not a problem with the Skybox, it's the XB1's awful detection of the signal. If you go through troubleshooting and rescan for a signal while the menu is open, it shows on the Xbox One, but as soon as you quit out and go back into the menu you get a black screen again.

Next stop for me is using an HDMI splitter to split the signal into a spare port on my TV and into the XB1 at the same time, that way when I need to use the menu I can change to the direct TV feed and actually see it.

It's not perfect or seamless, but it's better than nothing.

Same here. Menu won't show up but no noticeable judder. Did you ever find a fix to this??

unfortunately not mate. i just have 2 hdmi going to 2 different inputs on my avr now so when i need to update it or watch the pvr i just switch out the hdmi on the back of the f5

hiya so im going to buy xbox tomo i havea f5s what can i do with it on the xbox does it work to change channel or anything thanks?

By the way , is this still a problem? Cheesybeans is right, the problem is NOT in the Skybox, but in the xbox one. In fact, I have a impression the problem is even in the TV app of the xbox one.

I did, however, find a way around it, so, you click on Menu, it will go blank, you press your X in xbox controller to go to home screen. Once there, press menu and Quit the TV App. Re-open it and the menu should be there.

Works for me, again not perfect, but better than sticking a HDMI Splitter since I have my setup as complicated as it gets as it is.

let me know how it goes for you guys

PS: Next step, I will try to hack the XML from XMLEPG into the xbox one to see if we can get OneGuide working, but I can't promise since this seems complicated.

cheers

---------- Post Merged at 07:10 PM ----------

Er. NM, It seems I spoke too early. Doing what I described above gets rid of the blank screen, but it does NOT make the MENU working

Ive been trying this again, I tried with a slybox and it is very good for controlling box and all, so i figured id try the f5s and see but it wont control box at all but what I have found is that it provides a full UK guide better than that of the f5 OS so in that respect it is a step up. It would be nice if it could control the whole box. Or if there was even a box with similar remote signal codes which could be used to change the channel on it, maybe a similar freesat box. Im going to try a few so If i have any luck ill get back to you all.

interesting stuff guys.. i will be keeping an eye on this one to see if anyone knows what make of box we need to put into the xbox for it to control it!!!

I have set my Xbox as USA and sat box inserting as openbox it now will change Chanel with Xbox one controller but no guide as I am in uk

Open box is available on the uk setting and the commands work!

You sir are a legend. Gonna see if the tv guide works next!

---------- Post Merged at 08:42 AM ----------

Hmmmm i tries to change the channel numbers to that of a sky+ box but i dont have them set like that. Although i am sure you can download a channel list which uses those numbers!!!

Thats my weekend sorted... i will report back when i have found one. If not i may have to do some editing lol

well i have done it!!! i have my Xbox One controlling my F5S and correctly from the OneGuide.

Should i post a how to up in this thread or start a new one... more to the point... is anyone even bothered? LOL

well i have done it!!! i have my Xbox One controlling my F5S and correctly from the OneGuide.

Should i post a how to up in this thread or start a new one... more to the point... is anyone even bothered? LOL

cheers Sp00ky! I don't think you would need to post a "how to" as when you search "xbox one skybox f5s" this is the thread that shows up. Well done on getting it sorted, I have sky channel numbers already but doesn't the xbox one guide show radio channels too? Any way around this?

we should note that aj's channel list (search google for it) is set for sky channel numbers and for this to work you will need it installed on f5s. But asides from that just set box as open box on xbone and guide to BSkyB UK

Last edited:

cheers Sp00ky! I don't think you would need to post a "how to" as when you search "xbox one skybox f5s" this is the thread that shows up. Well done on getting it sorted, I have sky channel numbers already but doesn't the xbox one guide show radio channels too? Any way around this?

we should note that aj's channel list (search google for it) is set for sky channel numbers and for this to work you will need it installed on f5s. But asides from that just set box as open box on xbone and guide to BSkyB UK

I was using AJ's but i couldnt see the 101 number or anything so i switched to Sattv5's list and it works fine. just looking now into if we can remove the radio channels as they are a ball ache lol!

Thanks also to Bazzam for pointing out the openbox option. I had planned on sitting here 1 day this week just going through every option from A to Z... and O is a long way up that list hahahah

Well I'm happy as larry now, the update has definitely made the Xbox One TV experience more bearable, and the Oneguide is much easier than using the XMLTV EPG.

It still has a few quirks, like the Radio channels being mixed with the TV channels, which is awful. And the "Xbox Watch Whatever" command only seems to work on the last 8 channels you've watched, otherwise you have to use Oneguide to find the channel.

The Smartglass Beta App on Android is great for viewing Oneguide and changing channels, too.

Thanks for the info on here. Can't get the option on the Sbox to add my Skybox, postcode or settings etc. Is there a trick I am missing?

Thanks for the info on here. Can't get the option on the Sbox to add my Skybox, postcode or settings etc. Is there a trick I am missing?

I believe it's still in beta at the moment, you'd have to have been invited to the Update Preview in order to access the Oneguide in the UK. Should be available to everyone soon.

Back