Add an extra tuner to your box for less than £6

Please let me know if this was of use to you....

• Yes, this was helpful

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Nah, I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mtpockets

TK Veteran
OK some good news as a result of the Kernel updates that have been buggering up everyone's boxes ;) when they update their existing builds.

The support for the DVB-T (Freeview) RTL2832 USB stick has been fixed in latest kernel updates ...

So for any of you that have a cheap dvb-t stick with this chipset lying around unused (or you can buy them from ebay / Amazon etc for less than £6 if you shop around) you can add a third tuner to your Zgemma.

These devices used to be detected but would find no channels when scanned. if you install the latest nightly build from OpenATV you'll find that once you've installed the drivers the channels now scan as they should.

To set it up....

Plug the USB stick into either of the USB ports (will also work connected to a bus powered 4 port USB hub if you're short of a free port)

Press GREEN (Plugin Browser), GREEN (Download Plugins), Move to DRIVERS and press OK, navigate to dvb-usb-rtl2832 (1.0-r2) and press OK.

Once installed reboot your box.

Press BLUE (Quick Launch menu) and go down to Tuner Setup, press OK twice you should now see your new tuner listed as tuner C, move down to it and press OK.

Set reception settings as follows....

Configuration mode ----> Enabled
Terrestrial Provider ----> United Kingdom, all regions(gb) (Europe DVB-T/T2)
Enable 5V for active antenna ----> off (unless you know you have an active antenna ;))

Press GREEN to save settings and EXIT back to the Quick launch tuner menu... now navigate down to automatic scan and press OK

Clear before scan ----> No
Network Scan ----> Yes
Untick all tuners apart from Tuner C then press GREEN to scan.

It will now find channels available to you. Once complete press OK.

The channels will show under last scanned. If you use AutoBouquets Maker you can create a bouquet for the freeview channels too.

Hope this is of some use to you - It gives extra options to record or view additional channels :(y):

Last edited:
maybe stick up a photo of usb 4 port hub as you know what people are like with that lol.
Cactikid have you been on the pop??? lol :)

This is the one I'm using
s-l225.jpg

and it cost me all of £2.53!! Not that I'm a skin flint :grin:

I'm wondering if Enigma2/linux would cope with two of these tuners with identical chipset??... I'd be tempted to waste another £6 to find so with an aerial splitter too we may be able to push a twin tuner box to a quad tuner for less than £15 in total!!!:LOL:

Do it man so we know....

Done it?

Now?

What about now?

---------------------------
In theory it will cope as it will be identified on another bus, much like two usb stick, but only you testing will tell us for sure.

Now?

I had a cat flap delivered in 11 hours the other day from amazon. So..... I expect your report to be on the desk by 1pm latest tomorrow - lmao

But seriously, it would be interesting to see if it will run two. A quad tuner H2S - now we're talking

Thanks mt I have an unused powered usb hub from my pi kit so interested in trying it. Just need to find the tuners.

Edit it's just a freeview tuner. Cactikid just checked my Amazon order history I brought the powered usb hub for £5 it was Newlink 4 Port USB 2 Black Powered Hub seemed I got a bargain as it's now at £11.04 plus delivery.

Last edited:
Thanks mt I have an unused powered usb hub from my pi kit so interested in trying it. Just need to find the tuners.
No dramas Dave, just ebay rtl2832 usb (or did you mean you have to find it in a cupboard somewhere!!). I haven't managed to find a cheap dvb-t2 tuner that will work under linux so this is just SD. The cheap ones I've seen advertised as T2 are windows only. And as no Virmin here I didn't bother looking for dvb-c :(

No worries I'll have a look for cable tuners but I know there not cheap. A quick question what plonker has voted no they've wasted 5 minutes of there life :grimacing:

No worries I'll have a look for cable tuners but I know there not cheap. A quick question what plonker has voted no they've wasted 5 minutes of there life :grimacing:

ermmmm... that would be me :grimacing:.....this thread has taken at least 4 times that so far and I knew how to do it without looking!!!! lol

You can't see who votes though... the mods need to sort that out

Would this mean I could record a terrestrial channel from this dvb-t stick, whilst recording from sly and watching another channel? If so how would this be set up?

Would this mean I could record a terrestrial channel from this dvb-t stick, whilst recording from sly and watching another channel? If so how would this be set up?
It would...Just follow the steps in the first post... If you're unsure on setting up auto bouquets maker for freeview there's a good how to on youtube

Back