Best options for Euro TV - motorised? Opening channels on Enigma2?

goldnet

Hi all

Just moved house and looking to install a motorised dish. Watch a lot of Euro TV and radio for my work: music/arts/culture etc.

Previous house had 3 LNBs covering Hotbird, Astra 1 and Astra 2 - quad cable/diseq feeding Freesat BDR/HDD and Technomate TM-7102T, patched to open, for example, Mezzo TV, ORF (until that went encrypted).

Have great TV signal here and South-facing wall/chimney for the dish. Have Freeview Play box, so can take UK TV out of satellite equation. Single LNB with dual feed (for 2 tuners), with a motorised dish to give wider choice of channels 5W round to 32.5E.

Technomate did all I needed but capacitors on the PSU board don't seem to have survived being powered off for a few weeks and although I replaced an obviously blown one, that didn't do the job and I'm not sure my soldering skills are up to doing the whole set (though probably an easy job for an engineer if anyone here's up to the task!).

So am considering buying a decent Linux box (or current TM equivalent but that seems a limiter), which I think would also help me send the TV around my LAN too. I've found an installer locally but he's a bit reluctant and probably needs encouragement to set up exactly what I want, so would have to specify dish, LNB, motor, receiver etc

I'm not entirely clear about opening channels on Linux. Is it even feasible, do I have to get a CCard subscribe to clines (as I've read here)? How does that work and, presumably as it's somewhat under the radar, how safe is it?

Alternatively, can I achieve what I'm after looking at some kind of IPTV solution - is satellite dead for this purpose these days? What are the rough costs of that option?

All advice or pointers to read most welcome...

Sounds like a decent motor and a box thats capable of moving it, something like a formuler f4, or there are other boxes out there, I use an old dreambox, not great for images or epg, but it does the job for my euro sats, i use a zgemma h2h for uk sat and cable, you seem like you are in a good location for a multi sat set up, I use an allsat dark motor and a 110cm dish, I get sats 1w to 32e, still alot of advantages with the euro sats and a good euro line will cover everything.

Sounds like a decent motor and a box thats capable of moving it, something like a formuler f4, or there are other boxes out there, I use an old dreambox, not great for images or epg, but it does the job for my euro sats, i use a zgemma h2h for uk sat and cable, you seem like you are in a good location for a multi sat set up, I use an allsat dark motor and a 110cm dish, I get sats 1w to 32e, still alot of advantages with the euro sats and a good euro line will cover everything.
Thanks Graham - need to learn about a 'euro line' - where to get, how much it cost, how reliable etc

Easy enough to get and very reliable, theres a few euro line providers on here, cant say if they are any good or not, as mines is from elsewhere, i do get my sat and cable line here though, getting your box and motor set up is the first and hardest part of the job for you at this stage.

Hi I have a motorised dish.Get your euro line off ebay .Mine cost a tenner for a year. Also google "latest catseye e2 settings" for full euro sat bouquets and Download dreambox edit to transfer catseye bouquets to your receiver.

Thanks, bounder. I did an ebay search but nothing came up (well nothing TV related - lots of air line fittings!). Is that a .co.uk issue?!

I have read that dishes and chimneys are not a good combo, esp with a large-ish disk (80/90 cm?) but think it would probably mount on the wall alongside the stack anyway.

Still need to charm my local installer into getting it in place!

Back