Best router as I have hub 3

38 devices wired and wireless - ipads, laptops, pcs, smartphones, smart tvs, stbs etc.
I just checked my deco, I currently have 26 devices connected. mostly wireless but 4 enigma boxes hard wired.

I found the vm hub worked fine until they introduced 'intelegent wifi' and then it went down hill and funilly enough I got an email from them a few days ago saying they have updated initelegent wifi to be even smarter, 'The new update looks at your WiFi use over the past few days at different times of the day to make sure everything’s in tip-top shape' sorry but I don't want it, keeping my hub in modem mode and your intelegent wifi can go spy on someone else.

I just checked my deco, I currently have 26 devices connected. mostly wireless but 4 enigma boxes hard wired.

I found the vm hub worked fine until they introduced 'intelegent wifi' and then it went down hill and funilly enough I got an email from them a few days ago saying they have updated initelegent wifi to be even smarter, 'The new update looks at your WiFi use over the past few days at different times of the day to make sure everything’s in tip-top shape' sorry but I don't want it, keeping my hub in modem mode and your intelegent wifi can go spy on someone else.
I totally agree, I don't want an 'even smarter' VM Hub, I like you would rather it be dumb and sat under my desk in my office doing very little, it can cope with that!

I have found a pack of 3 from a online retailer in Blackburn for £105 delivered so not to bed they have over 10 pack in it says!! Probably my best option I’m thinking...

Are mesh systems compatible with each other? For example I have x2 Asus routers connected in AiMesh, could other brands be added, and would they all work together?

i use a tplink deco M4 mesh routers with my hub 3, basically I have 3 deco's around the house, far better than using hub 3 as router. your devices just automatically connect to the nearest deco as you move around the house, each one has 2 ethernet ports as well.

Just got mine today and works perfectly Mr Grog. Still left my Asus to deal with DHCP and using these purely for wifi. Good shout (y)

Are mesh systems compatible with each other? For example I have x2 Asus routers connected in AiMesh, could other brands be added, and would they all work together?
I am not sure but as I said above, before getting my deco M4's I already had a tp link wifi extender which can be used as part of a mesh, so i got the M4's, thinking I could add the extender to their mesh as both are tp link but no, the extender uses a different mesh system than the M4's, annoying but not the end of world as now only using extender as an etherenet port for a box

Looking at Virgin media Wifi booster set on ebay is it worth getting these because I still want to use ethernet i,e, powerline side as well.
Or should I go for TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 can these stiil be used as powerline adaptors im not talking ethernet Backhaul where you need to connect both units via ethernet.

Looking at Virgin media Wifi booster set on ebay is it worth getting these because I still want to use ethernet i,e, powerline side as well.
Or should I go for TP-Link Deco M4 AC1200 can these stiil be used as powerline adaptors im not talking ethernet Backhaul where you need to connect both units via ethernet.

On the m4, I have one plugged into vm hub (in modem mode) and the other 2 in other rooms, they connect to each other via wifi. I then have my enigma2 boxes plugged into the M4's using ethernet cable so works in the same way as powerline adaptors but not using electrical circuit. Each of the M4's has two ethernet sockets.

The advantage of M4 (mesh systems) over wifi extenders is they all use the same SID/password so you're wifi device will automatically switch from one M4 to another as needed, but wifi extenders tend to use a different SID to your router, so if your phone is connected to router wifi and you move upstairs, your phone will remain connected to the router and will only switch to the wifi extender if you tell your phone to use different wifi connection.

On the m4, I have one plugged into vm hub (in modem mode) and the other 2 in other rooms, they connect to each other via wifi. I then have my enigma2 boxes plugged into the M4's using ethernet cable so works in the same way as powerline adaptors but not using electrical circuit. Each of the M4's has two ethernet sockets.

The advantage of M4 (mesh systems) over wifi extenders is they all use the same SID/password so you're wifi device will automatically switch from one M4 to another as needed, but wifi extenders tend to use a different SID to your router, so if your phone is connected to router wifi and you move upstairs, your phone will remain connected to the router and will only switch to the wifi extender if you tell your phone to use different wifi connection.
so basicly connect phone to the mesh system and forget router ? oops got that wrong with mesh on phone will just connedt to it.

so basicly connect phone to the mesh system and forget router ? oops got that wrong with mesh on phone will just connedt to it.
you put the vm hub into modem mode, plug your mesh into the Hub, and then the Mesh becomes the router which you connect all your devices to.

@grog68 ,thanks I only had miutes left on ebay bid it was sitting at £47 and someone go winning bid at £51+£3.50 postage
where as the Deco M4 two pack are only £89.99 and new from argos

Right so thanks for all input get to see!! So I’ve had the pack of 3 whole home mesh wifi system delivered today should I just turn the wifi off on the hub 3 or would u recommend putting hub 3 in modem mode and setting up that way thanks all in advance

You are best with the Hub 3 in modem mode otherwise if you connect by WiFi directly to your hub 3 then you won’t be using your mesh system. Putting the Hub 3 in modem mode then won’t allow you to connect to this via WiFi

Right so thanks for all input get to see!! So I’ve had the pack of 3 whole home mesh wifi system delivered today should I just turn the wifi off on the hub 3 or would u recommend putting hub 3 in modem mode and setting up that way thanks all in advance
Put the hub into modem mode, plug mesh into it using ethernet cable and then connect everything to the mesh, personally I used the SID/password on the mesh to the same as was used by the hub, that way I didn't need to change all of my wifi connections, ie

if your hub SID was VM1234 (I had changed mine), then on the mesh set the SID as VM1234 and use the same password. All of your wifi devices should then connect without having to change their wifi connection.

Back