Celtic And Rangers

Yeah fully agree. Between both Milans they have 10 European trophies between them. Shame the corruption in Italy!

Corruption is rife there just like it was in AC milan when they had the owner forgot his name. Guy was corrupt to the core.

Juventus imo dont have the rich history as both Milan clubs. But AC milan man was envious of the magnificent players they had in their prime. What a team it was and am glad looking like they will be back in the champions league where they truly belong.

Slightly off topic but this has to be the craziest story in premier league history certainly worth a 2 minute watch if you're not familiar with the story!

With the dust starting to settle after this week's failed breakaway "European Super League" it's a good time to assess what the footballing world really thinks of Scotland's top two football clubs.

Even with "those famous Champions League nights" at Parkhead, even with the years of insistence they're big fish in a small pond, even with the mind numbingly boring perennial debate as to whether they'd cut it in the EPL, they weren't even in the thinking of the founder clubs when they formed the proposed new competition. Can the Scots finally accept they're a footballing nonentity? A quaint little league that nobody outside of Scotland cares about?
Good to see one of the founder clubs tonight being beat by the likes of Everton, you have to ask yourself if Everton can, could Rangers or Celtic with the same resources generated from their global power and more importantly the same cash injections annually like you get in the Epl, I think we'd be ok. Btw as a Rangers fan in such a shit league I think we have done rather well in European football never mind the Scottish league. I have said it before and I will say it again it wont happen but if it did.........you throw two massive clubs into your league debt free with stadia paid for and give them 100 million for being in a league I really do think they'd do ok, That's before you take into account the money generated as a club and if in the Epl that means mega wonga for both Celtic and Rangers. Out with Man City, Man utd, Liverpool no one else come close. That's just the way it is!
The rest are there to make up the numbers of have I go this wrong? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Good to see one of the founder clubs tonight being beat by the likes of Everton, you have to ask yourself if Everton can, could Rangers or Celtic with the same resources generated from their global power and more importantly the same cash injections annually like you get in the Epl, I think we'd be ok. Btw as a Rangers fan in such a shit league I think we have done rather well in European football never mind the Scottish league. I have said it before and I will say it again it wont happen but if it did.........you throw two massive clubs into your league debt free with stadia paid for and give them 100 million for being in a league I really do think they'd do ok, That's before you take into account the money generated as a club and if in the Epl that means mega wonga for both Celtic and Rangers. Out with Man City, Man utd, Liverpool no one else come close. That's just the way it is!
The rest are there to make up the numbers of have I go this wrong? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure what point you're making by saying Everton beat Arsenal - any team in the Premier League can beat another on their day... West Brom beat Chelsea recently y'know?

The thread is about the fact that the minnows weren't even considered as part of the proposed European league. Or any other league their fans try to impose themselves on in a desperate effort to find some relevance.

Not sure what point you're making by saying Everton beat Arsenal - any team in the Premier League can beat another on their day... West Brom beat Chelsea recently y'know?

The thread is about the fact that the minnows weren't even considered as part of the proposed European league. Or any other league their fans try to impose themselves on in a desperate effort to find some relevance.
You specifically mentioned Celtic and I'm drawing a comparison to the fact a founder member "Arsenal" can't beat Everton. So as you have said, if any team on their day can beat anyone this wouldn't include the old firm? why would that not be based on your assertions? Your point was that Celtic the "minnows" weren't even considered as part of the founder group, what gave any they 6 the right to consider themselves above and beyond the best league in the world? The fallout of this has been completely vindicated, the super 6 are no ones in world of football. The game of football is one big family and the so called big 6 have been called out
Sometimes I think you can't see the forest for the trees, if you take 2 teams the size of the old firm who are debt free with stadia paid for, give them 100 million and yeah we still have to take into account the money they generate themselves and BTW I state again it will never happen, but if it did the Rangers and Celtic of this world will be bought by a Mansoor, Abramovich etc.
That's a fact and only then would you be able to see the true pull of the Glasgow giants!
"Or any other league their fans try to impose themselves on in a desperate effort to find some relevance" this point is 100% what I'm talking about, it must hurt you that 90% of your league is less talked about globally than the old firm, that's the relevance right there. Educate yourself in football history before making crass remarks about two of the biggest teams in world football, no matter what league they play in. Its about winning leagues, trophies and that brings the history which is all relevant.
If you could tell me what Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man utd, and Man City for that matter have done over the last 10 years to dominate European football apart from being given 4 spaces in the CL for not being able to win it for years. The relevance with the teams above lies only in the EPL, small fish in a big pond as been posted on this thread.

Tinpot teams in a tinpot league. No more a footballing superpower than Nottingham Forest or Derby County.

They weren't chosen for the European Super League because they're a) substandard b) irrelevant.

If I remember rightly hasn't celtic and rangers wanted to join the epl previously but been blocked???.
You can't get no match bigger then the old firm Derby just like the el classico the Madrid Derby ect to say those 2 teams is irrelevant is a p*SS take imo its like saying all teams in all leagues are irrelevant and substandard.
@garyth you make valid points about our big 6 but as you've mentioned if rangers celtic had the backing of wealthy owners and money invested they would surely be a team to be feared for sure.
I remember watching likes of harts on Sutton Miller larrson ect week in week out

for better and for worse very few clubs represent their communities and tribes in quite the way celtic and the current incarnation of rangers do.

if they got into the prem their potential would be huge.

the new rangers won their first league title last year so have some catching up to do

I’d give Rangers and Celtic a shot in the Premier league. I mean it was only 20 years back Swansea nearly went out the football league and look what happened to them they climbed several divisions and had several seasons in the Premier League qualified for the Europa League and won the EFL cup. If anyone represented a Minow it was Swansea 20 years back!

I know the likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham have for a long time always been part of English football but we’re missing the bigger picture Wales have their own Premier League The Cymru Premier League so what gives? How come Swansea/Cardiff don’t play in the their Countries Premier League.

Rangers and Celtic have shared the league titles now for coming up to 40 years. 40 bloody years. Imagine the Premier League where only Man City and Liverpool won it for 40 years. How fed up we would all be.

Somethings got to give I’d give them a shot. I’d put my Money on it that Rangers this season are a stronger side than the 3 teams in the bottom 3.

Last edited:
I’d give Rangers and Celtic a shot in the Premier league. I mean it was only 20 years back Swansea nearly went out the football league and look what happened to them they climbed several divisions and had several seasons in the Premier League qualified for the Europa League and won the EFL cup. If anyone represented a Minow it was Swansea 20 years back!

I know the likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham have for a long time always been part of English football but we’re missing the bigger picture Wales have their own Premier League The Cymru Premier League so what gives? How come Swansea/Cardiff don’t play in the their Countries Premier League.

Rangers and Celtic have shared the league titles now for coming up to 40 years. 40 bloody years. Imagine the Premier League where only Man City and Liverpool won it for 40 years. How fed up we would all be.

Somethings got to give I’d give them a shot. I’d put my Money on it that Rangers this season are a stronger side than the 3 teams in the bottom 3.

Swansea and Cardiff have been in the English leagues since 1920-21, the Welsh Premier League wasn't formed till 1992.

Swansea and Cardiff have been in the English leagues since 1920-21, the Welsh Premier League wasn't formed till 1992.
That’s in its current form. Just like the Premier League was formed in 1992 doesn’t mean nothing existed before it lol. Welsh Division One was formed in 1904. So my question again, what gives?

That’s in its current form. Just like the Premier League was formed in 1992 doesn’t mean nothing existed before it lol. Welsh Division One was formed in 1904. So my question again, what gives?

Look at it another way - why didn't Celtic and Rangers apply to join at the same time? Maybe because the English game wasn't awash with money then and where the Welsh clubs joined for sporting reasons, the Scots want to join for the English riches.

With the dust starting to settle after this week's failed breakaway "European Super League" it's a good time to assess what the footballing world really thinks of Scotland's top two football clubs.

Even with "those famous Champions League nights" at Parkhead, even with the years of insistence they're big fish in a small pond, even with the mind numbingly boring perennial debate as to whether they'd cut it in the EPL, they weren't even in the thinking of the founder clubs when they formed the proposed new competition. Can the Scots finally accept they're a footballing nonentity? A quaint little league that nobody outside of Scotland cares about?

Anyhow - back to the original post. The European Super League didn't even consider subjecting their audience to the dross served up by the Scottish clubs so I think it's fair to say they're viewed across the continent as footballing nonentities. Granted, Mick and Paddy run a formidable Tipperary Supporters Club but aside from a few of us watching an odd game coz of Henrik Larsson a few decades ago nobody else gives a stuff about the old firm. In fact if it wasn't plastered all over Sky Sports News to fill their 24/7 sports news requirements they'd barely get a mention in this country.

Celtic and Rangers will never be offered the chance to play in the Epl, there was a time 10 to 15 years ago that there was a slight chance for the idea to be explored in depth, many said they would have to go into the lower leagues first and work their way up, this wasnt feasible to either club as too much revenue would have been lost, mainly money from European games, also fans behaviour while playing in England didnt help, Some Celtic fans misbehaved while playing friendlys and testimonials in England, and then there was the Rangers fans going nuts in Manchester after the UEFA cup final in 2008, these two things combined helped to scupper the idea of it, on top of that we have just seen what happened with the ESL idea, How is the idea of Celtic and Rangers going to play in England any different as they would be turning their backs on the SPL, the teams like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Mirren, etc depend on the gate money when the old firm visit, granted the SPL quality is diminishing season by season, less and less quality players there now, but both old firm teams will be staying where they are for the fore seeable future and remain big fish in a small pond, while trying to get decent runs in Europe each season, something that each of them, to their credit have done very well in recent years, dont forget both have played in a Euro final in the 2000's , but overall the chance has gone for them to leave Scotland for good, in my opinion.

Celtic and Rangers will never be offered the chance to play in the Epl, there was a time 10 to 15 years ago that there was a slight chance for the idea to be explored in depth, many said they would have to go into the lower leagues first and work their way up, this wasnt feasible to either club as too much revenue would have been lost, mainly money from European games, also fans behaviour while playing in England didnt help, Some Celtic fans misbehaved while playing friendlys and testimonials in England, and then there was the Rangers fans going nuts in Manchester after the UEFA cup final in 2008, these two things combined helped to scupper the idea of it, on top of that we have just seen what happened with the ESL idea, How is the idea of Celtic and Rangers going to play in England any different as they would be turning their backs on the SPL, the teams like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, St Mirren, etc depend on the gate money when the old firm visit, granted the SPL quality is diminishing season by season, less and less quality players there now, but both old firm teams will be staying where they are for the fore seeable future and remain big fish in a small pond, while trying to get decent runs in Europe each season, something that each of them, to their credit have done very well in recent years, dont forget both have played in a Euro final in the 2000's , but overall the chance has gone for them to leave Scotland for good, in my opinion.

Your point is partially flawed, if teams rely on Gate Money why on earth did they openly sign the book to kick Rangers out off the SPL when they fell into liquidation? I mean what logic is that. They can't rely that heavily on it if they openly don't want to play them 3/4 times a season for several years.

I think it's slightly different to the ESL Idea in my opinion. This is a United Kingdom thing. We already have Welsh sides so what makes it any different then allowing Scottish sides? The SPL will still continue just like the Welsh Premier League.

I get the point they will be turning their back on the SPL but this allows a new SPL Champion for the first time in nearly 4 decades! The SPL has become so stale. Prior to this year there was 1 Champion for nearly a decade!

Not only that, smaller teams then have chance to qualify for Champions/Europa Leagues and have better cup runs etc. I do believe like yourself that this ship has long sailed though.

Not all chairmen voted against it and lower teams did suffer badly financially while Rangers were out of the SPL, as for smaller teams qualifying for Europe, well they only lasted for one qualifying round against another minnow team, no big revenue there compared to ticket prices from old firm fans
Welsh teams have always played in the english leagues, scottish teams have not, it wasnt that long ago teams like Cardiff and Wrexham were allowed to play in the welsh cup as well as the 2 english cups, the welsh cup was their entry in europe the following season, but its no longer allowed.

Bizarrely it seems like just one club winning the league title for nearly a decade is a source of great pride and a cause for celebration North of the border.

as for smaller teams qualifying for Europe, well they only lasted for one qualifying round against another minnow team
Celtic have been knocked out the qualifying rounds in recent years by the mighty sides such as Sion, Malmo FF, AEK Athens, and the season before last they got knocked out by the mighty Romanian side Cluj. So I’m not sure how worse Motherwell Could do on a cold Thursday night.

Back