Changes to the highway code.

Well the give way to pedestrian crossing is the norm really, the rest of them christ can see been rear ended coming to a stop to give way to pedestrians when turning. I think that one is madness. The pedestrian should pick a safer place to cross tbh than right on a junction.

What's the point of cycle lanes if cyclists are not required to use them ?

Number 5 WTF ?

No one's mentioned slowing down 🤷.
Allowing cyclists to still drive in lanes meant for cars whilst cycle lanes are available is stupid.

So is holding up traffic turning left or right whilst waiting for people to cross. Number 5 is mental!

No, it won't do drivers any harm at all to have to slow down and think, to be more considerate to pedestrians and other road users.

If the Highway Code states that you 'must' or 'must not' do something then it is usually a legal requirement and can result in prosecution.
If it states that you 'should' or 'should not' do something then it is a matter of courtesy.

An example is Rule 223 where many bus drivers think they have a right to just indicate and pull out into traffic:

The Highway Code states in rule 223 that you should give priority to buses, coaches and trams, especially when they’re signaling to pull away from stops. These are just guidelines and giving buses priority is not actually a legal requirement. Buses, coaches and trams must indicate and wait for traffic before pulling out just like the rest of us.

However, there are reasons to do this despite it not being a legal requirement. Not only is it courteous to slow down and leave a safe distance as soon as you see a bus or coach signal, it also avoids confusion and the possibility of a large vehicle pulling into your path.

It's too complicated and way over the top with ridiculous amount of rules in the highway code to follow.

Cyclists getting more priority and not just having to stick to their own lanes will cause more issues with traffic etc.

The stupid one where lanes they have in the alot of areas to accommodate Cyclists when they are not even used by such Cyclists are a absolute waste of tax payers money imo

You don't think drivers will have to slow down to comply with the changes to the highway code? :unsure:

You love to bicker don't you?
There's no new law regarding speed limit changes. I'm taking about the things mentioned in the first post. Rather than trying to find ways to disagree with everything I post, either discuss the changes mentioned or stay out of the conversation.

I'm with Black Belt Barrister on this one, with his concerns over giving way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road that the motorist is about to turn into

As for all the rules relating to cyclists, its easily seen the government want to get rid of cyclists lol

I'm with Black Belt Barrister on this one, with his concerns over giving way to pedestrians waiting to cross the road that the motorist is about to turn into

As for all the rules relating to cyclists, its easily seen the government want to get rid of cyclists lol

He's bang on. It's going to cause nothing but confusion and road rage. Especially from traffic waiting behind cars turning left/right when they're are there waiting for pedestrians to cross. I don't think these new rules will last very long before being amended.

Looking at the bigger picture:

1. Cyclists groups complain about motorists until it gets so big that the government have to give in, even though they don't agree.

2. They pass a load of new laws regarding cyclists, most of which will either kill or seriously injure them in large numbers.

3. To make sure of #2 they don't inform drivers of the changes, not a single advert or public information film.

4. After several hundred cyclists are killed, the laws are revoked and the cyclists are happy.

Something I've just learnt is that new Highway code rules were written by a closed group of cycling and pedestrian organisations,

Doesn't seem a good method of intoducing new highway code rules, not to consider all road users

I seen them I was raging 😡. Why wreck all the roads with bike lanes and all sorts of shit for them to not use them and ride in the middle of the lane! Don’t get me started on this s$$$t haha 😂. No one will be following this rules. There totally whack!!! Haha

I would be worrying about so many pot holes that are in many places which ain't even fixed which would be just as dangerous for cyclists like these new rules.

Back