Depression caused by Chemical Imbalance??

I have been on antidepressants for years and if im honest i have always said that they dont work, but doctor always tells me to keep taking them...
So im a believer in your post
cheers

I have been on antidepressants for years and if im honest i have always said that they dont work, but doctor always tells me to keep taking them...
cheers
Sorry to hear that mate.
I suppose once you've been on them for a long time, it could be more dangerous to stop, even if they weren't really helping?

I wonder if Doctors get some sort of perks/ comission for pushing certain manufacturers drugs?

cheers

Nothing to be embarrassed about, especially given the past few years. If you feel they don't work, ask your Doctors to change them to a different type. It can take a long time to find something that suits.

It took me 3 years to get my older brother sorted with his depression after attempting suicide whilst trying to hold together a full time job and being a single parent of two. He went through 4 different types of anti depressants before finding one that worked for him. He now has his own place, he's quit drinking and things are finally looking up for him. Good luck with it.

Sorry to hear that mate.
I suppose once you've been on them for a long time, it could be more dangerous to stop, even if they weren't really helping?
ye they say its dangerous to just stop taking them

I wonder if Doctors get some sort of perks/ comission for pushing certain manufacturers drugs?
definetly its common knowlege

Nothing to be embarrassed about, especially given the past few years. If you feel they don't work, ask your Doctors to change them to a different type. It can take a long time to find something that suits.

It took me 3 years to get my older brother sorted with his depression after attempting suicide whilst trying to hold together a full time job and being a single parent of two. He went through 4 different types of anti depressants before finding one that worked for him. He now has his own place, he's quit drinking and things are finally looking up for him. Good luck with it.

glad you got your brother sorted and life is good for him

honestly i have been on and off them since i was 16yrs old (now 62) they keep giving me different ones but there all the same for me . i do stop taking them when i know there not working
i think i need a lobotomy, lol

My brothers been on lots of different one's over the years. Most of which made him worse.
The last few years he hasn't been so bad. He still has occasions when he shuts himself away, but it's usually for a day every several weeks, rather than 3 days a month. I did post the meds he's now on, several months back....

My brothers been on lots of different one's over the years. Most of which made him worse.
The last few years he hasn't been so bad. He still has occasions when he shuts himself away, but it's usually for a day every several weeks, rather than 3 days a month. I did post the meds he's now on, several months back....
do you know the name of them ?
FYI
I have four sisters and a brother if you include my Mother and Father there was 8 of us
and none of the females inc, Mother have soffered from deppression but me my brother and father all suffered from it
just the males in family

I suppose everyone is different and what's causing the depression can be different, so what may work for one, could unfortunately make another person even worse.

Doctors seem to favour keeping people on a low dose of antidepressants indefinitely now rather than on and off them.

@celticfc maybe this is your GP's tactic, try to keep you on an even keel? All the best to you, keep on keeping on.

Doctors seem to favour keeping people on a low dose of antidepressants indefinitely now rather than on and off them.

@celticfc maybe this is your GP's tactic, try to keep you on an even keel? All the best to you, keep on keeping on.
maybe this is your GP's tactic, try to keep you on an even keel?

if they dont seem to work whats the piont

All the best to you, keep on keeping on.

always do m8
cheers

It would be good if there was some place you could sign yourself in whilst trying different meds. It's not fair on the person (or their family) to just dish out different medication and leave you too it. At least they could keep an eye on you if things go badly.

Used to be on them, happened after the death of my sister 20 odd years back, we had lost family members previous to this, but this one floored me for some reason, I just shut down, was a nervous wreck, nothing made sense, started having panic attacks, could not explain it as I didn't know what it was or why it was happening, I had coped in the past, as I had to be there for younger members in family, would have up and down days, sad days, but was OK, good cry, and I was OK again, bur by god the last one floored me, I felt I was outside my body looking down on myself and watching everything from afar, nothing made sense, mates and family rallied round me, gave me space, knew when I had to be by myself if everything was getting too much, after about 6 months they finally talked me into going to doctors, nightmare even trying to get there, for some reason I was terrified of going out yet previous I was hardly ever home, between work and socializing, anyway got there, was at doctors for an hour and a half as I was freaking out, thought I was dying at one point (my new-found friend the panic attack) doctor was great and patient with me, and after I think I had blurted out my whole life story, she suggested antidepressants, so I took them with monthly reviews with her, sometimes could not get to her so had home visits (panic attacks) then tried speaking therapy, took a while, but the fog started clearing, after about 9 months I asked to come off tablets as I felt a bit more in control of the attacks and had started getting out and about again, some days easy others a nightmare, eventually came off the meds after about a year and a half, was still a work in progress, as the years rolled on, and I've read up on different things and tried different things (mindfulness was my thing) found it a great help, learnt a great lesson about looking after me first, then if I'm OK I can help others, been doing great over the years, and I can say the tablets did help to balance me out, the first month or so of taking them I thought they never worked, but slowly, but surly they took effect, a bit groggy for a while, that eased off, but doing the mindfulness has made me stop and think of what is making me feel the way I do, and what it is that's bothering me, how I can resolve it, and mainly not being afraid to ask for help, so I would say they are helpful if monitored, I think I was fortunate in the doctor I had, and all the help she offered, was never pushed onto anything or asked to do anything I never felt safe with, it has been a long road, but also one of discovery, don't get me wrong like everyone else life is not a bed of roses, but I get to stop and smell them on my journey

It would be good if there was some place you could sign yourself in whilst trying different meds. It's not fair on the person (or their family) to just dish out different medication and leave you too it. At least they could keep an eye on you if things go badly.
No chance they would do that i think,
NHS budgets doctors nurses .....money money money

Used to be on them, happened after the death of my sister 20 odd years back, we had lost family members previous to this, but this one floored me for some reason, I just shut down, was a nervous wreck, nothing made sense, started having panic attacks, could not explain it as I didn't know what it was or why it was happening, I had coped in the past, as I had to be there for younger members in family, would have up and down days, sad days, but was OK, good cry, and I was OK again, bur by god the last one floored me, I felt I was outside my body looking down on myself and watching everything from afar, nothing made sense, mates and family rallied round me, gave me space, knew when I had to be by myself if everything was getting too much, after about 6 months they finally talked me into going to doctors, nightmare even trying to get there, for some reason I was terrified of going out yet previous I was hardly ever home, between work and socializing, anyway got there, was at doctors for an hour and a half as I was freaking out, thought I was dying at one point (my new-found friend the panic attack) doctor was great and patient with me, and after I think I had blurted out my whole life story, she suggested antidepressants, so I took them with monthly reviews with her, sometimes could not get to her so had home visits (panic attacks) then tried speaking therapy, took a while, but the fog started clearing, after about 9 months I asked to come off tablets as I felt a bit more in control of the attacks and had started getting out and about again, some days easy others a nightmare, eventually came off the meds after about a year and a half, was still a work in progress, as the years rolled on, and I've read up on different things and tried different things (mindfulness was my thing) found it a great help, learnt a great lesson about looking after me first, then if I'm OK I can help others, been doing great over the years, and I can say the tablets did help to balance me out, the first month or so of taking them I thought they never worked, but slowly, but surly they took effect, a bit groggy for a while, that eased off, but doing the mindfulness has made me stop and think of what is making me feel the way I do, and what it is that's bothering me, how I can resolve it, and mainly not being afraid to ask for help, so I would say they are helpful if monitored, I think I was fortunate in the doctor I had, and all the help she offered, was never pushed onto anything or asked to do anything I never felt safe with, it has been a long road, but also one of discovery, don't get me wrong like everyone else life is not a bed of roses, but I get to stop and smell them on my journey

i can relate to all your symptoms , i have had them all ( still do) im glad to hear that you have got by them and life is good for you again,
keep well and keep smelling the roses

i can relate to all your symptoms , i have had them all ( still do) im glad to hear that you have got by them and life is good for you again,
keep well and keep smelling the roses
I do get the wobbles now and again, but I try and think why am I feeling like this, I use a lot of distractions, always check my breathing, had a bad habit of holding it in, so tried breathing lessons that also helped, every day is different, wishing you well

Depression is a terrible thing i have suffered with it in the past and used medication. You can be great for months and months for no reason at all it can just set in and shift just as quick.

Back