Windows 10 Downgrade to 7 from fresh 10 install?

gosnis

I have an old ThinkPad, which originally had Win 7 on.

Someone wiped this and did a fresh install of Win 10.

Is there any way I can reinstall Win 7?

You could if you have a Windows 7 disk and code but windows 7 is not supported now so I would stick with Windows 10. Are you having issues with Windows 10 then.

You could if you have a Windows 7 disk and code but windows 7 is not supported now so I would stick with Windows 10. Are you having issues with Windows 10 then.

Windows 10 is . It's installed that many sneaky updates that the laptop now runs too slow.

yeah!

first download the iso file from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7 and burn that to disk

boot the laptop from disk and install

if it originally came with win7 then you should have a coa sticker somewhere on the laptop (sometimes under the battery!) use the key on that to activate windows

Thanks for the link, i'll check under the battery, not looked there yet.

I'm sure there's also an application for find the win key on the system, ive usd it before, just cant recall the name right now. Edit: Nirsoft ProduKey

Win7 is still on extended support until next year

Yes this is correct.

I believe even longer for engineering versions too.

Now that I think about it, Ideally I'd like Win 8, which should be supported for longer.

Tempted to buy a used key of the fleabay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean about windows 10,it does come with lots of crap but you can just disable all that and it runs well.

I know what you mean about windows 10,it does come with lots of crap but you can just disable all that and it runs well.

Perhaps, just found O&O ShutUp10 which supposed to do just that.
But the updates have already been applied, not looked to see if I can role these back yet.

I think its like £100 a year for updates for windows 7 untill 2020. Linus tech tips took the best from windows 7 and 10 and made windows 9.5 check it out you might like it

Coming from someone who really struggled to let go of Windows 7 :tearsofjoy: I'd never now downgrade from 10, it's just a better OS in my opinion.

If its an older laptop with a HDD, stick an SSD in for extra performance and enjoy Win10 instead.

Back