Electrics keep tripping after electrical checks

I've been on phone to my council there adamant it's my dryer and told me to try different sockets

If they are saying its the dryer. Turn off everything in the house and run the dryer alone and see what happens.

If it is all ok, i would check the sockets are wiring on a ring as opposed to a radial circuit and swap the 16A breaker to 32A

If they are saying its the dryer. Turn off everything in the house and run the dryer alone and see what happens.

If it is all ok, i would check the sockets are wiring on a ring as opposed to a radial circuit and swap the 16A breaker to 32A
I'm going to try that in a moment then will report back how would I find that out mate appriciate the help so far mate I did upload a pic of my fuse box

If the sockets are wired as a ring main circuit there will be two separate cables feeding the circuit, If you remove the cover on the fuse board there will be 2 brown or red cores going into the 16A breaker marked sockets. If there is only 1 core going into the breaker then it is a radial circuit which really should only feed 1 or 2 sockets at most and not a whole house.

Used to have a similar problem in my old house, dryer was in the utility room and it had a double socket, it started to trip on both sockets, I ended up running an extension lead in from the kitchen and it solved the problem, I put it down to dampness in the wall where the socket was, dont know if its worth trying for yous or not.
at least then you may find out if its the dryer itself or the switch plate.

Do you have a pic of the box with the cover off? If you can upload that i will tell you straight away if its ring main or radial
I don't mate Im sure the electrician said ring main when the houses got re modernised my house didn't get new electrics ect as the last Tennant was too ill

Used to have a similar problem in my old house, dryer was in the utility room and it had a double socket, it started to trip on both sockets, I ended up running an extension lead in from the kitchen and it solved the problem, I put it down to dampness in the wall where the socket was, dont know if its worth trying for yous or not.
Worth a shot but is it not advisable to use an extension

I don't mate Im sure the electrician said ring main when the houses got re modernised my house didn't get new electrics ect as the last Tennant was too ill

If you aren't comfortable opening the cover on the board then don't do it get a spark in. Once you find out if its on a ring or radial then you will know if you can change the breaker to a 32A. Like i said before, if you have two 2.5mm twin and earth cables feeding that socket breaker then changing it to a 32A breaker will solve your problem.

The breaker is tripping when due to high current. Could be when the dryer is getting to a certain stage of its cycle the heating element is drawing the high current.

If it is on a radial circuit you will either need to add a new radial circuit in the house for the dryer on another 16A breaker if thats a feasible option for you.

@Mavio ive turned all sockets off upstairs downstairs and my dryer has stayed on upto now I'm in a council house so would have to get them to do it

@Mavio ive turned all sockets off upstairs downstairs and my dryer has stayed on upto now

Sounds like the current it is drawing is too much for that to be on and everything else to be on at same time mate. I would advise you look into the possibility of swapping the breaker for a 32A providing all i said before is ok.

Thank you all for advise and @Mavio for the expert advice with you been a sparky I'm going to be getting back on the phone to my local council they will have to come check or do what has been posted I will report back on this thread to keep all updated on what happens next

@Mavio ive turned all sockets off upstairs downstairs and my dryer has stayed on upto now I'm in a council house so would have to get them to do it
If its a job for the council, then I would suggest leaving it yourself and get them out as soon as possible as its better to be on the safe side, dont know if it would be treated as an emergency, but it should only take a day or 2 at the most

@Mavio
That is really bad piss poor advice, 2 cables going to the breaker doesn't mean it's a ring, it could be 2 radials, or a broken RFC,
An RCD tripping doesn't make it an earth fault, it means there is an imbalance Line-Neutral
An MCB tripping means it's overcurrent.
Have we actually established if it is the MCB or RCD yet,?
@bazcfc1 counting from right to left, which "switch" is tripping,?

@Mavio
That is really bad piss poor advice, 2 cables going to the breaker doesn't mean it's a ring, it could be 2 radials, or a broken RFC,
An RCD tripping doesn't make it an earth fault, it means there is an imbalance Line-Neutral
one my finger is pointing too mate socketsIMG_20190424_200128.jpg

Looking at that @bazcfc1 I'd hazard a guess at some stage someone has found a broken ring and swapped out the 32a MCB for a 16 as an easier fix rather than find and repair the actual fault, you could swap it for a B20 or perhaps even a B25,
But, as it's a council house get them to sort it properly, they have a duty of care to you to provide you with an adequate standard of housing.
There is now some sort of law about this that the council must adhere to.
Decent standards of living or something like that.

Looking at that @bazcfc1 I'd hazard a guess at some stage someone has found a broken ring and swapped out the 32a MCB for a 16 as an easier fix rather than find and repair the actual fault, you could swap it for a B20 or perhaps even a B25,
But, as it's a council house get them to sort it properly, they have a duty of care to you to provide you with an adequate standard of housing.
There is now some sort of law about this that the council must adhere to.
Decent standards of living or something like that.
I've turned evry appliance off in my house and hasn't tripped out yet but when everything on in my house that's when it trips out like tv in my front room kids computer tv in there bedroom washing machine but it's every time I use dryer if I don't use it it dosnt do it and power to sockets dosnt go off

@Mavio
That is really bad piss poor advice, 2 cables going to the breaker doesn't mean it's a ring, it could be 2 radials.

Point taken on the advice steptoe but Why would anyone put 2 radials in the same breaker when there is spare ways in the board? I am obviously only trying to help the guy. I did say to him to get a spark to check it first.

He said the council just tested the board. Pretty sure the council spark wouldn't have left it with 2 radials in one breaker!

Id get the council back Baz if it was working before they came round.

Point taken on the advice steptoe but Why would anyone put 2 radials in the same breaker when there is spare ways in the board? I am obviously only trying to help the guy. I did say to him to get a spark to check it first.

He said the council just tested the board. Pretty sure the council spark wouldn't have left it with 2 radials in one breaker!

Id get the council back Baz if it was working before they came round.
I'm going too mate I'm ringing them when open

Back