Electrics keep tripping after electrical checks

Point taken on the advice steptoe but Why would anyone put 2 radials in the same breaker when there is spare ways in the board? I am obviously only trying to help the guy. I did say to him to get a spark to check it first.

He said the council just tested the board. Pretty sure the council spark wouldn't have left it with 2 radials in one breaker!

Id get the council back Baz if it was working before they came round.
One leg of an original ring could be broken, so it still needs to be protected using one OCPD,
As for it being a strange thing to do about 2 radials, I've saw the council do some strange things, a lot of their guys aren't even sparks, general handymen, and maybe it is a good ring and that was the only breaker they had in the van.
But, without it being properly tested, nothing really can be done from a keyboard.

One leg of an original ring could be broken, so it still needs to be protected using one OCPD,
As for it being a strange thing to do about 2 radials, I've saw the council do some strange things, a lot of their guys aren't even sparks, general handymen, and maybe it is a good ring and that was the only breaker they had in the van.
But, without it being properly tested, nothing really can be done from a keyboard.
They did a pac test since then this is when problem has occured

No I totally agree with you.

I did say to him though to get a spark to check it all before doing anything. I wouldn't want to give anyone advice which could end up in them being hurt themselves.

Apologies if thats how my replies came across, genuinely just trying to help.

I do agree with what you say about some council sparks!!!

I probably haven't expressed what i was trying to highlight to him in the best way, like you say it is very difficult to diagnose the problem through a keyboard.

Do you mean a PAT , Portable Appliance Test ,?
Was this on 20th December last year,?
Did they do any other work,?
Yeah 20th December and changed a socket upstairs as was running off one and he put a switch on so had 2 sockets running off a fuse switch @Mavio I completely get what you was saying and wasn't expecting me to go mess around with my fuse box

Yeah 20th December and changed a socket upstairs as was running off one and he put a switch on so had 2 sockets running off a fuse switch @Mavio I completely get what you was saying and wasn't expecting me to go mess around with my fuse box
He could well have found a broken ring when he tested your house wiring and downgraded your 32A MCB to a 16 as an easy quick fix, rather than actually fix the fault.

He could well have found a broken ring when he tested your house wiring and downgraded your 32A MCB to a 16 as an easy quick fix, rather than actually fix the fault.
Right I see I'm getting on phone in morning to get them back out how did you know date I had pact test done mate

As has been said can you try the drier on a different socket , will run ok on a fully unwound extension lead . Also drier could be ok , as breaker is only 16amp when the driers on and something else switches on like the fridge compressor then that could be overloading the circuit and causing the trip. Sounds dodgy that 2 sockets have been added and now things are tripping - might be worth not using these whilst driers on. Either way you should look to getting the breaker upgraded to 32 amp

As has been said can you try the drier on a different socket , will run ok on a fully unwound extension lead . Also drier could be ok , as breaker is only 16amp when the driers on and something else switches on like the fridge compressor then that could be overloading the circuit and causing the trip. Sounds dodgy that 2 sockets have been added and now things are tripping - might be worth not using these whilst driers on. Either way you should look to getting the breaker upgraded to 32 amp
Thats what I'm going to do mate the 2 sockets that got put in was fine just needed a fuse with a switch to run them beakyford has the same problem as me

A tumble drier typically uses about 10-12amps, that doesn't give much headroom for anything else that heats up, and definitely not a washing machine, a kettle should be ok as it's only on a short time,
a 16A MCB will carry about 23-25amps for a few minutes before tripping.
But a cumulative load will easily overload a 16A MCB

Just an update I've rang council this morning still tried to say it was my dryer up until I told them I had every appliance turned off upstairs and downstairs no soon as all appliances turned on low and behold same again so waiting on council to ri g me back with an appointment over the problem but a big thank you to everyone who gave advice just shows how great this forum and members are so a big thank you once again

Last edited:
Council coming out within next 4 hours to look at my electrics and I'm going to have everything on in house for them to see whats happening

Back