F3, F5 or DM800?

As the title asks; which box would you recommend? I am guessing the DM800?

I can vouch for the F5 cheap as chips and a great picture and easy to set up for a newbie like me, a great starter box.

Thanks for that mate. Did you buy one with a gift or source your own cline?

Got mine with a gift for 6months just to see what was on offer and must say I was quite impressed

dreambox 800 is enigma2 so you can do a lot more lots of plugins i have dm800 skyboxf3 vu+solo2

Thanks Bobby. Is there a guide available on how to do what's needed to the DM?

---------- Post Merged at 09:57 PM ----------

dreambox 800 is enigma2 so you can do a lot more lots of plugins i have dm800 skyboxf3 vu+solo2

One other thing Bobby are you using a clone or original DM800?

Why don't you consider a Blade ?

They are about the same price as the DM800
Same type of functions.

But easy to set up like the F3 - F5 boxes.

Why don't you consider a Blade ?

They are about the same price as the DM800
Same type of functions.

But easy to set up like the F3 - F5 boxes.

Because I'm new to this and haven't a clue lol. Is there a guide I could get my hands on?

If you are new, go for an easy box with plenty of help around the
forum if you get stuck setting it up.

Here is a rough guide to what you can expect to get.

Budget boxes ( £50 -70 ish), F3,F5 for example,HD box and PVR if you attach
a HDD or USB stick to record on. EPG is now and next program only.
Recording is done like setting a video for recording, date, time duration etc.

Single Tuner boxes, (£130 - 160 ish)Blade, DM800, VU+ solo for example. Same as above but
you get a 7 Day EPG and Single Button Recordings function from the better EPG.
You can only watch / record one program at a time.

Twin Tuner boxes, (£250 - 350 ish) VU+ Duo, for example, Same as above boxes
but the extra tuner allows you to record one program
and watch another.

(Open source (Linux) boxes are more fiddly to set up than closed source boxes)

So if you are new, I would get to grips with an F type box or Blade before having
to learn the extras that go with linux. just my opinion of course, others may say different.

There are "Stickys" which are guides, tutorials etc for each box at the top of each section.

Blade info is here

F box info is here

Last edited:
do your research mate, i looked about on various forums for about 2 weeks before deciding and glad I did, skybox are entry level cheap almost plug and play, no epg and also a lot of clones about, blade is better build quality almost plug and play with a 7day Epg, then you get to enigma2 Linux boxes these do require more setup but you get much much more out of them than either the blade or skybox. I went for the xp1000 and had it running in about 3hrs from scratch but still finding out about everything it can do. Its basically a full media center as well as a receiver the plugins alone are simply brilliant. If your not very good at technical stuff though go for the blade or skybox

Last edited:
do your research mate, i looked about on various forums for about 2 weeks before deciding and glad I did, skybox are entry level cheap almost plug and play, no epg and also a lot of clones about, blade is better build quality almost plug and play with a 7day Epg, then you get to enigma2 Linux boxes these do require more setup but you get much much more out of them than either the blade or skybox. I went for the xp1000 and had it running in about 3hrs from scratch but still finding out about everything it can do. Its basically a full media center as well as a receiver the plugins alone are simply brilliant. If your not very good at technical stuff though go for the blade or skybox

Thanks for that info mate. My background is in I.T so that isn't an issue and I have a little experience working under Linux and can find away around it ok. I used to use the ITgate cable box a few years ago and could manage that alright and it was a Linux box and quite a capable article at that.

So now I find myself looking at a xp1000 which I will read up on. It wouldn't take me too long to get to grips with things just right now it's like any new venture; it's about sourcing the info so checking out various forums.

---------- Post Merged at 08:51 PM ----------

If you are new, go for an easy box with plenty of help around the
forum if you get stuck setting it up.

Here is a rough guide to what you can expect to get.

Budget boxes ( £50 -70 ish), F3,F5 for example,HD box and PVR if you attach
a HDD or USB stick to record on. EPG is now and next program only.
Recording is done like setting a video for recording, date, time duration etc.

Single Tuner boxes, (£130 - 160 ish)Blade, DM800, VU+ solo for example. Same as above but
you get a 7 Day EPG and Single Button Recordings function from the better EPG.
You can only watch / record one program at a time.

Twin Tuner boxes, (£250 - 350 ish) VU+ Duo, for example, Same as above boxes
but the extra tuner allows you to record one program
and watch another.

(Open source (Linux) boxes are more fiddly to set up than closed source boxes)

So if you are new, I would get to grips with an F type box or Blade before having
to learn the extras that go with linux. just my opinion of course, others may say different.

There are "Stickys" which are guides, tutorials etc for each box at the top of each section.

Blade info is here

F box info is here

Really appreciate that thorough post mate. Thanks for your time typing that up!

---------- Post Merged at 08:54 PM ----------

Where did you get your box Jez, world-of-satellite?

World of satellite yes, there is a guide on there for setting it up for the vu+ duo which is exactly the same for the xp1000, its the official retailer(clone free) and home of the vix image developers, so you get support from the makers of the software, also you get a 5 pound off code if you message/phone the shop ;D the wife is watching Corrie on itv player on it now lol

Last edited:
Got my F5 today can not belive its so much faster than my tivo box... the only downside is the program guide can not see whats on now and next like u can on sky or virgin box.

Ace box tho working great with ccam

Got my F5 today can not belive its so much faster than my tivo box... the only downside is the program guide can not see whats on now and next like u can on sky or virgin box.

Ace box tho working great with ccam

Nice one mate. Sounds like you're well happy :) Did it come with a 12 month gift?

No mate i had to find a line, pm me if u get stuck i can give u a email.... im currently on a 7 day test so far is just wow.

Good server

Anyone know a good server for a skybox f5s

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 PM ----------

Anyone know a good server for a skybox f5s in Ireland

Back