Gas & Electric

we have just bought a mobile home in spain.

bottled gas and mains electric.

spoke to the girl over the road from us,

she pays average 25 euro pm electric and a 20 euro gas bottle lasts around 3 months :sweatsmile:

we have just bought a mobile home in spain.

bottled gas and mains electric.

spoke to the girl over the road from us,

she pays average 25 euro pm electric and a 20 euro gas bottle lasts around 3 months :sweatsmile:
And what about the central heating??

heating and shower are gas.

it hovers around 15-20c here during the "cold" months, minimum is around 7-8c at night.

we have been here for the last 2 weeks and only put the heating on for 10 minutes on one night. it was then too hot.

if you buy a spanish model they are better insulated than the british ones and have smaller windows to guard against the summer heat.

whilst its relatively cool out here now i have no real issues getting up in a morning without putting the heating on.

:laughing:

It's when summertime comes and you're spending €60 a week on AC 24 hours a day.
thats where the spanish insulation comes in :laughing: plus my daughter who lives here says her family pretty much live outside during the summer months.

again, speaking to the girl opposite she said her highest electric bill during the summer months was 80 euro.

our gas and electric direct debit in the uk is £270 per month all year round.

Last edited:
I assume you have bought near the coast ? I had a place up in the sierras Spanish built , too hot in summer , absolutely freezing in winter ( was high up in mountainsmind ). As you say we lived outside in summer but winter was a nightmare , house was all tiles to be cool in summer. Main issue the Spanish electric installation couldn’t handle any ac or heating units. If you were watching tv and put the oven on it tripped the breakers 😬. Poor woman nearby paid a few grand to have ac units in every room , she could only have one on at a time. Talk about “ Spanish tradesmen “ , dear me , there wasn’t a strip of connecting block in the house. Below every light switch was a joint box and when you opened em , all the wires were twisted together and wrapped in tape !! Don’t even start me on gas . I took an engineer and his apprentice over and we installed a boiler and rads ( bottled gas ) . Had to get my installation certified by a Spanish engineer to allow me to get a contract for bottled gas. Local fella Pedro 🙄 , he turned up 3 weeks late and then checked every soldered joint on the gas line with a cigarette lighter whilst smoking a tab FFS . Then charged me £90 for the paperwork 🤮

Last edited:
I assume you have bought near the coast ? I had a place up in the sierras Spanish built , too hot in summer , absolutely freezing in winter ( was high up in mountainsmind ). As you say we lived outside in summer but winter was a nightmare , house was all tiles to be cool in summer. Main issue the Spanish electric installation couldn’t handle any ac or heating units. If you were watching tv and put the oven on it tripped the breakers 😬. Poor woman nearby paid a few grand to have ac units in every room , she could only have one on at a time.
yeah, we are 5 minutes walk from the beach near marbella.

bear in mind its only a 1 bed mobile home, we have 1 ac unit in the kitchen that will cool the lot down :laughing:

if its anything like the heating the other night it will be on and off in the space of 10 minutes :LOL:

Get some solar panels on the roof,
I was working just outside Algete (15km north of Madrid) last Feb/March, I couldn't handle the heat, 🥵IMG_20220228_175758_647.jpg

heating and shower are gas.

it hovers around 15-20c here during the "cold" months, minimum is around 7-8c at night.

we have been here for the last 2 weeks and only put the heating on for 10 minutes on one night. it was then too hot.

if you buy a spanish model they are better insulated than the british ones and have smaller windows to guard against the summer heat.

whilst its relatively cool out here now i have no real issues getting up in a morning without putting the heating on.

:laughing:
Hope you get sunburnt mate lol

Hope you get sunburnt mate lol
i will in a couple of days, we are off to Goa :laughing:

The lowest ever recorded temperature was 13.3 degree celsius on 20 February, 1965

its about 21c low now during the night now and up to mid 30s during the day :laughing:

It doesn't work like that,
They can send a signal to the meter to change the charges.
not on mine do far, as the change of price data is sent to terminal which then goes on card and key, hence me being able like last time keep the old rate when topped up to max on both meters, so i get 10-12 weeks before topping up both again, as it is just now im still on october prices, will run them down before topping up , also i can tell by my unit price on the meters by pressing buttons, dreading the hike in april, but hopefully it won't affect me if I get it topped up to max before then, and the April prices should then kick in around June fingers crossed plus reducing usage, that's why I don't want a smart meter,as they can adjust them at source from their robbing end, suits me for now ☺

not on mine do far, as the change of price data is sent to terminal which then goes on card and key, hence me being able like last time keep the old rate when topped up to max on both meters, so i get 10-12 weeks before topping up both again, as it is just now im still on october prices, will run them down before topping up , also i can tell by my unit price on the meters by pressing buttons, dreading the hike in april, but hopefully it won't affect me if I get it topped up to max before then, and the April prices should then kick in around June fingers crossed plus reducing usage, that's why I don't want a smart meter,as they can adjust them at source from their robbing end, suits me for now ☺
So instead of them 'robbing' you, you are just giving them money for nothing as you are paying a higher price and higher standing chanrge than you would to otherwise, by choice.

So instead of them 'robbing' you, you are just giving them money for nothing as you are paying a higher price and higher standing chanrge than you would to otherwise, by choice.
No she's not, she's paying up front at the old lower prices, loading the meter then using that over the next few months, meanwhile the price hikes affect new top-up at the till, not what's already in the meter

No she's not, she's paying up front at the old lower prices, loading the meter then using that over the next few months, meanwhile the price hikes affect new top-up at the till, not what's already in the meter
yes but the price she is paying is higher than if paying by direct debit, so yes for a few weeks it may be a bit cheaper but then when she tops up again she is paying more than she needs to for the next 3 or so months until the prices change again. I can see the Logic if prepayment was same price.

yes but the price she is paying is higher than if paying by direct debit, so yes for a few weeks it may be a bit cheaper but then when she tops up again she is paying more than she needs to for the next 3 or so months until the prices change again. I can see the Logic if prepayment was same price.
Well yes, I've had the same argument with my sister about prepayment meters but they don't do online banking and prefer to waddle to the post office every week

Back