Home Media System.....

gillettos

Hi all....

Sorry about this, but I'm goin mad, I know what I want to do, seems so easy but the more I look into it it becomes v.confusing and mega expensive........ So hope I don't confuse ya. Please Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Current:
I have my TiVo box, zGemma and an android box currently in the front room going to one TV only.

Future:
Would like the above in remote location feeding the various rooms across the house being able to be controlled from each one.

So work done already....
Allot of research!!!!
Found You-tub vids demo'ing I can transmit HDMI over cat5e cable using an unpowered transmitter. I've brought these and they are absolutely sh1te!!!!! Absolutely nothing transmitted what-so-ever..... Am I missing something????

I've also found some IR Transmitters which haven't arrived yet but useless anyway as the above didn't work!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extend-Remote-Control-Adapter-Durable/dp/B01MXGSB12

In my head it seems simple, run a-load of cat 5e / 6 cables through the house into a patch panel / switch, split and send the hdmi ouput from each device across say 4 cables across the house at once...... Simple yeh!!???

have found these.... but do I need one for each line?? in which case things start adding up!! Makes me wounder if its even worth doing!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Technomate...515933952&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+rj45+converter

Anybody done anything like this, surley they have and haven't paid >1k for it!!???

Thanks in advance :0)

strange so you want to be able to transmit to several tv's throughout the house and each tv be able to control what they're watching?

are you using home made ethernet cable, or bought ones.?
some bought cables only use 2 pair, which is all that is required for data, those transmitters require all 4 pairs,
are the cables copper, or CCA/CCS ?

Latest cable I've tried is......
CAT 5e PATCH ISO/IEC 1180 1 & EN50288 & TIA/EIA 568B.2 3PO VERIFIED FOR GIGABIT ETHERNET......
Will have a look and see what the others say

I still dont think you will be able to do what you want to do
each box will need to be wired solely to each receiving device,
I dont think those HDMI things will work through a switch in the way you hope
they wont be issued an ip address, so the router/switch wont be able to direct traffic between the devices

Yeh totally agree, however just doesn't make sense they work on you=tube and people do rave about them!?

I've attached a diagram to hopefully make it more understandable.......

Attachments

• Home Media Questions.JPG
    Home Media Questions.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 24
they will work via a patch panel, but not via a switch
you could rig up a smart HDMI switch
I think you are going through a load of hassle to not get the result you want,
why not simply stream each device to the required TV ?
that way it will work via a switch, and all remote functions etc will still work, and more than 1 TV can access each device

you could use something as simple as a raspberry Pi as a receiving device,
dunno if a Pi zero would be up to the job, but may be worth trying one at a fiver, :)

you could use something as simple as a raspberry Pi as a receiving device,
dunno if a Pi zero would be up to the job, but may be worth trying one at a fiver, :)

Wouldn't have a clue where to start though I'm afraid. Have got a load a raspeberry pi's mind!! haha. Would you care to elaborate?? and is it simple (like me) lol :0)

Wouldn't have a clue where to start though I'm afraid. Have got a load a raspeberry pi's mind!! haha. Would you care to elaborate?? and is it simple (like me) lol :0)

thinking about it,
I dont know how it would work for anything other than your E2 box, but I'm sure its doable,
all you need to do is fire up your pi and go to the IP address of your zgemma, then stream whatever channel you want,
try it on your PC now, its how I watch cable in my shed, I've only got a sat box in there, so I can stream from my house cable box to the shed if there is something on British Eurosport I want to watch
you can watch as many spare tuners as your box has on as many TVs as tuners are available

thinking about it,
I dont know how it would work for anything other than your E2 box, but I'm sure its doable,
all you need to do is fire up your pi and go to the IP address of your zgemma, then stream whatever channel you want,
try it on your PC now, its how I watch cable in my shed, I've only got a sat box in there, so I can stream from my house cable box to the shed if there is something on British Eurosport I want to watch
you can watch as many spare tuners as your box has on as many TVs as tuners are available

Okay I'll look into it...... :0) Cheers

it's just like client mode on vix. you can stream to another e2 box as long as you have spare tuners, each stream = one tuner.

have you proved they actually transmit anything, set one up with a short patch lead and try it. Single device to a single hdmi iput on your tv.

If it works then as a switch and work from there.

they WONT work via a switch
a switch requires an IP to direct traffic,
they are only designed to allow HDMI to pass through cat5e/cat6 , not as a network solution
thats why I said I dont think this will work as OP intends/hopes

Back