Home WiFi and network

noddyrams

Morning all, after some help and advice please on my home network.

So currently my main router is plugged in to my house phone master socket which is in the halfway.... I Ihen have a powerline adapter from there to my living room at the back of my TV which I have a 5 port switch plugged in. This then allows me to have all my main media devices connected via ethernet. All working fine

so my issue then is that I have a WiFi extender to try and extend the WiFi to my conservatory and outside. Problem is though that that extender is saying signal not strong enough due to being too far away but I don't have a plug socket any closer in a sensible position.

So I was wondering if I could get a other powerline adapter to then have plugged into that with an ethernet cable a device that will use the internet from the electricity to extend the WiFi that way? Also ideally the device would have ports as well so I can ethernet cable my devices in the conservatory also.

I hope that all makes sense.

Yes. I have three homeplugs in other rooms running off the one that's connected to the router.

Did you try and connect the extender close to the router first then move it to where you wanted it ?

Sound feasible to me , I would get the same make and model of power line adaptor , connect an Ethernet hub to it and then plug a wifi extender with AP mode into the switch , one like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-...point&qid=1611995768&s=computers&sr=1-14&th=1.

you could also use an old router instead of the hub and extender , google set up router as a repeater.

I am interested to see others responses to this

Did you try and connect the extender close to the router first then move it to where you wanted it ?

Sound feasible to me , I would get the same make and model of power line adaptor , connect an Ethernet hub to it and then plug a wifi extender with AP mode into the switch , one like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet-RE305/dp/B01N4I3YOB/ref=sr_1_14?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+access+point&qid=1611995768&s=computers&sr=1-14&th=1.

you could also use an old router instead of the hub and extender , google set up router as a repeater.

I am interested to see others responses to this
I have 5 or 6 old routers/modems reconfigured as switches/WAP
they work fine,
talktalk Hauwei routers are easy to configure
BUT, you need to have them hard wired, you could use powerline adapters to acheive that.

Do away with home plugs and extenders and get a cheap mesh system. You can get a set of BT hubs quite cheaply when they are on offer. They are the nuts.

Yes. I have three homeplugs in other rooms running off the one that's connected to the router.
Yeah I have a homeplug running from my router to one room already but then want a second to another room but coming from that wanting to plug it in to some kind of WiFi extender and switch?

I use this TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV600 to extend my wifi
EDIT: just noticed newer model TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter
This looks like just the thing!! So can I confirm, this passes internet through the electricity from one plug to another but when it reaches the second plug it then pushed it out as ethernet or WiFi?

I have 5 or 6 old routers/modems reconfigured as switches/WAP
they work fine,
talktalk Hauwei routers are easy to configure
BUT, you need to have them hard wired, you could use powerline adapters to acheive that.
So rather than buying an old router to do this are there not devices you can buy new to achieve the same end goal? What does wap stand for, wireless access point? Again I assume to get the internet into this device it's done via a cable rather than passing WiFi to WiFi?

Do away with home plugs and extenders and get a cheap mesh system. You can get a set of BT hubs quite cheaply when they are on offer. They are the nuts.
Can you please explain more on these? I thought they just extended WiFi using WiFi?

Yeah I have a homeplug running from my router to one room already but then want a second to another room but coming from that wanting to plug it in to some kind of WiFi extender and switch?

This looks like just the thing!! So can I confirm, this passes internet through the electricity from one plug to another but when it reaches the second plug it then pushed it out as ethernet or WiFi?

So rather than buying an old router to do this are there not devices you can buy new to achieve the same end goal? What does wap stand for, wireless access point? Again I assume to get the internet into this device it's done via a cable rather than passing WiFi to WiFi?

Can you please explain more on these? I thought they just extended WiFi using WiFi?
On the mesh system each disc has an ethanet port you can buy them in sets of 4/6you have one plugged directly into router via ethanet then the other discs you can position anywhere and they sync to the main disc downstairs. Then you just connect each device to which ever disc you want.
I have 4 discs 1 in my front room and the rest are in the bedrooms all hardwired I paid about £80 for my system.
BT Mini Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Unit

These TENDA Nova MW3 Whole Home WiFi System - Triple Pack £69.99 seem to get better rating but that may just be because of the price also 5 pack available for £89.99
I'm quilte happy with my TP-links gives us enough coverage but we are not in a busy house hold just the wife and I.
Looks like these only extended internet via picking up WiFi and extending it though?

Not like the tp link that pass internet via the electric and then push out as WiFi? (Correct me if I'm wrong here though)

Looks like these only extended internet via picking up WiFi and extending it though?

Not like the tp link that pass internet via the electric and then push out as WiFi? (Correct me if I'm wrong here though)
yes correct I only pointed them out because not sure if the bt ones work with any isp.
The tp-link is good only 2.4ghz 300mbps but more than enough for me plus also works with your other tp- link ethernet ones. If you loog at the image i have posted it has larger channel coverage

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 5
The BT ones work with any ISP. I used them with plusnet and now gigaclear. They are just so much better than messing with home plugs and WiFi extenders. I tried all sorts of arrangements before getting the mesh system. I also have linksys velops, these are also a mesh system but no where near as good as the BT discs.

Back